Author Topic: Mother with Illegitimate child - Who?  (Read 5118 times)

Offline Beth Lorains

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mother with Illegitimate child - Who?
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 December 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes mother’s maiden name burton..

Offline Beth Lorains

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 02 December 18 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi ray, yes mother’s maiden name was burton. I have found her record of birth and also no she was living with her parents on the 1901 census, along with 2 children. I also found a record of death for her in 1902...

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 02 December 18 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beth     

It helps alot if you post references and full info of what you found.     

It saves duplication of effort ( and mistakes  ;D ) already spent on research, and ensures that we are all on the same "page".
R

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 02 December 18 14:13 GMT (UK) »
I have the birth certificate which was sent to me today. It Doesn't actually have the fathers name on it but does clearly state he is a Holmes.
Then Holmes is a forename,  not the surname. A child's surname is not entered on a birth certificate; the entry is indexed under mother's married name or if she doesn't have one, her maiden name.

The birth Sueh2 reply #13 found is on the GRO index as
DOY, GEORGE  THOMAS HOLMES    WRATHMAN     
GRO Reference: 1873  D Quarter in STOCKTON  Volume 10A  Page 88
which is correct as Sophia's maiden name was Wra(i)thman & her married name Doy - even if a man named Holmes was the father.  If  he was not present at the registration, he could not be named as father.

ADDED: Will Marshall has not been active on rootschat since Jun 2007 but if email address is still the same, should get an email notification of the reincarnation of this thread.

Let us know, Beth, if you manage to contact him via personal message. And a belated welcome from me too  :)
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Beth Lorains

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 02 December 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou...I’m sure I will contact will just to see if he ever got to the bottom of it, as I have just found some more records which have helped hugely and I think I have made sense of it all.

I did find a baptism record for George thomas Holmes doy in April 1974 And the fathers name was listed Thomas Holmes and mother’s Sophia

Parish baptism records
MIDDLESBOROUGH
arc ref pr/m(h)1/8