Author Topic: Help please - What football team is this? still looking  (Read 5512 times)

Offline trellisick

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please - What football team is this? still looking
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 22:28 BST (UK) »
it would be nice to find out, thanks barbara,
                    i hope im right for your sake, it is definetly the only one i can find, all the very best, kali.
KUHNELL, prussia, germany, australia. TAYLOR, easton in gordano, penmark, essex. barry, glamorgan. HILL, southampton, barry, glamorgan.

Offline paulmh

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 June 06 07:39 BST (UK) »
This will sound very stupid but very possible; could it be that the letter I might be a V but not very clear. The initials of course would then be AVFC, I don't think I need to say which team that is.

Though I'm probably wrong!
Name Interests: Holland, Marshall, Townrow, Taylor.

Townrow Family Tree - http://townrowfamilytree.weebly.com
Football Researchers - http://footballresearches.weebly.com/index.html
Sheffield United - www.blades-mad.co.uk

Offline sall

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 July 09 21:33 BST (UK) »
Today I was given a photo of the same football team, the writing on the ball says AIFC 1921-1922. Their kit is my picture is vertical striped top, dark shorts. My grandfather (H Rudge) is in the picture and on the reverse is written 'from Captain H. Rudge'. I know nothing more about the team except I do know that my grandfather lived all his life in Edmonton North London so the team is likely to be local to that area. I'm not aware that he ever worked for a company whose initials were AI. Has any other information come to light about this team?

Offline johnbu

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara, I hope you're still there after all these years. I have the same photo and also looking for the name of the team but I do know the chap with the ball is my grandfather George Richard Withers born 7/12/1889 in North London. It will be a London team - probably north. I don't know which school he went to. I think at that stage he was working for the accountants Price Waterhouse. I would love to know if we're connected.

Regards

john

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Pure speculation, assuming  “captain” was a military title could it be something like Aldershot Institute FC?

Regards
Roger

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from the other side of the world.

I would suggest that now that you have two surnames assocated with "the" team, that you search the sports news of the local press, over the nominated time frame.

WITHERS c1913 >> & RUDGE c1921 >>

Afraid I'm not a subscriber to the historic online UK press. Best of luck.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara, I hope you're still there after all these years. I have the same photo and also looking for the name of the team but I do know the chap with the ball is my grandfather George Richard Withers born 7/12/1889 in North London. It will be a London team - probably north. I don't know which school he went to. I think at that stage he was working for the accountants Price Waterhouse. I would love to know if we're connected.

Regards

john

Hi John.

Upon looking up Barbara's profile it would appear that she has not posted on the forum since the end of 2007. It is therefore possible that the contact email for service is no longer active.

Once you have made three posts to a RC forum [can be just a post with a smile icon] you can attempt reaching Babara via the Private Message service. [See my messages in the top bar]

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Bilge

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 11:07 GMT (UK) »
I am of the opinion that the initials stand for Australian Imperial Force and all the team members are of military bearing. Also very close to Woolwich barracks. May look at this angle.
ABELL-Hfds & Glouc. AWFORD-Glouc, Hfds & Worcs. DANTER-Glouc,Hfds & Worcs. DAUNTER-Hfds, Glouc & Worcs. BAYLISS-Worcs & Glouc. BILLINGHAM-Hfds. JENKINS-Glam, & Hfds. PIPER-Suffolk, Glam & Hfds. CULLUM-Hfds, Suffolk & Mom.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Tongue in cheek speculation:-

Accountants Institute
Angel Islington (Amateurs Islington?-perhaps Athletico Islington is going too far!)
Army Independents

Regards
Roger