Author Topic: TANSEY - Sligo  (Read 20419 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
TANSEY - Sligo
« on: Tuesday 16 May 06 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anybody have the surname Tansey in their family history? My ancestor Michael Tansey (a bricklayer) married (1853) Bridget Donohue at Macclesfield in Cheshire, England.  His father was called Cornelius Tansey.

The Tansey family settled in South Cheshire (Nantwich & Crewe).

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: TANSEY - Sligo
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 March 08 17:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jayson,

There are three items you require when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish
3. Townland. 

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline gypsymorph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 12 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Does anybody have the surname Tansey in their family history? My ancestor Michael Tansey (a bricklayer) married (1853) Bridget Donohue at Macclesfield in Cheshire, England.  His father was called Cornelius Tansey.

The Tansey family settled in South Cheshire (Nantwich & Crewe).

Jayson

Hi Jayson

I have lots of information on the Tansey family as I have been researching them for quite a while now.  Michael and Bridget were my great great grandparents .  Their son, Cornelius married Elizabeth Jane Ball from Cornwall and moved to Nelson in Lancashire  I have traced Elizabeth's family back to the 1600s.  The Tanseys in Sligo are more difficult  to track down.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 September 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
Hi there and welcome to rootschat !

Do you want to tell us what help you need with the Tansey's of Sligo ?

Tara

Offline gypsymorph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 12 12:44 BST (UK) »
Hi, I know that Michael Tansey and Bridget Donohoe came over to England from Sligo and settled in the Crewe/Nantwich area.  My understanding is that Michael's father was called Cornelius (as well as his brother and his son) but I don't have any information other than that.  If you can help I would be grateful.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 12 14:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Obviously you are looking for information WAY before civil registration began here in 1864, so your next place to look is in church records, but for this your need a lot more information to see if records for a certain parish exist.

How sure are you of the Sligo connection - have you ever found a townland reference ?

The reason is ask this is that while the surname Tansey does appear in Sligo, the name Cornelious Tansey mainly appears in County Roscommon.

The main area that I have seen it referenced is Moigh Roscommon. Moigh is not a million miles away from the Sligo / Roscommon border and I'm wondering given your timeline, might there be some connection.

Have you checked all the Tansey's in your search area in Britain to see if you can find ANY reference to a townland in Sligo or even Roscommon as this may help with my theory.

Tara

Offline Lisacul Rosie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 September 12 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Gypsymorph,

I would just add to what Tara has said, Tansey/Tansy is closely associated with the border area of Sligo/Roscommon North of Boyle. The name Cornelius is a remnant of the practice to use Latin particularly in the Ancient Diocese of Elphin. The move from Latin to English saw many of these names alter with the exception of family members who moved from their traditional home for other parts of Ireland and abroad seeking to retain a family connection amidst the dislocation they had undertaken.

You may have already trawled existing records to find a link,if not below are a handful for reference.

Sligo Catholic Parishes Records click on to view

Griffiths Valuation - Sligo Tansey

Griffith Valuation - Sligo Tansy

Early Tansey Sligo Baptisms

It might be worth concentrating on finding a baptismal record for Michael and then review all the details again.

Offline Kerry981

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, we're currently looking up our family tree and have searched back to Sligo, we have Patrick & Bridget there son Thomas was my grandads father, Thomas had lots of brothers & sisters. Patrick & Beatrice are buried in St Joseph's cemetery in Moston Manchester, but was from Nantwich/Crewe area. Not sure if this has links to your tree?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 June 15 23:36 BST (UK) »
Probably RC!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.