Author Topic: TANSEY - Sligo  (Read 20417 times)

Offline Shazza670

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: TANSEY - Sligo
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 12 March 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Michael's father was definitely Cornelius I have the marriage certificate.  They were married at Macclesfield, Cheshire in 1853.  Bridget's father was John

Jay....thats my mums relatives

Offline Shazza670

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 12 March 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Ive got those on my family tree  ;)

Offline Shazza670

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 13 March 17 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi..im from tansey decendents..bartholomew tansey was my great grandad..his father was cornelious from boyle /roscommon

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shazza

I haven't bothered researching this family line for a while so it's good to know that there are other researchers out there holding the candle for the Tanseys.

To be honest I wouldn't really know where to start looking as Irish records seem so difficult to access.  I know many documents where destroyed during the troubles there and what does exist isn't located centrally.  Just thinking about Irish research gives me nightmares!

I only know that Michael Tansey was from Sligo but where in Sligo I don't know.  His father was Cornelius and that's all I know.  I don't know who his mother was or whether he had any siblings.

I was interested to read your post.  How are you related to them.  Bartholomew Tansey has never cropped up in my searches.  Are you saying he was my Michael's brother? If so what evidence do you have as I'd obviously be interested to know more.

Jay
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Shazza670

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 16 March 17 06:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi my evidence is my mum lol as he was her grandad who abandoned her grandma etc..all the names add up to what documents mum has

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 16 March 17 20:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'm still none the wiser now after reading your posts I'm afraid.  You say there is a connection but you haven't provided any evidence to support this which might help me or other people who might be interested.

It's ever so frustrating when people dive in to a topic and then don't bother to expand further.  Not very helpful to my mind.

Jay

Offline gypsymorph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 17 March 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shazza
Can you explain how Bartholomew was related to Michael Tansey and if you have more information about where in Sligo they came from as I can't get any further back than this.

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 March 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
Gypsymorph
I had another look at the various census returns which Michael Tansey appeared on realising that I hadn't really looked properly at them before in an attempt to establish his place of birth and this is what I've found.

1851: Born Ireland
1861: Born Ireland
1871: Born Ireland
1881: Born Sligo, Ireland
1891: Born Ireland
1901: Born Sligo, Ireland

Sligo certainly seems the best place to start searching.  However, I also think that clues re his family might be found closer to home i.e. Macclesfield.  I was very surprised to find a high concentration of people with this surname in that town.  Macclesfield must have had some significance rather than just being a random place to get married.  The connection with England seems to have stretched back beyond Michael's generation.

I hadn't realised that Michael Tansey senior had married again after Bridget's death producing three more children.  At first I didn't think it was him (see 1901 census) but his address and occupation details match with the information given on Bridget's death certificate.  Also listed in the household is the sixty-year-old widow, Catherine Bowers described as Michael's sister. She too was born in Sligo.

Interestingly on the 1871 census I found a Patrick Tansey (aged 42) born in Ireland - but living in Burslem - who had a son called Michael whose place of birth was given as Macclesfield.  Perhaps Patrick was Michael's brother.

My great great grandfather was Michael Henry Tansey (son of the above) and he died due to a fall aged just 38. And his sister fell down stairs and broke her neck.  They don't seemed to have had happy lives.

Jay

Offline gypsymorph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jayson
I had just assumed that Michael and Bridget left Ireland to find work but maybe that's not the case if they had connections over here. I didn't know he had remarried either. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we'd been able to ask our grandparents about this as they would probably have been able to answer a lot of our questions? My grandfather, Edward, was the grandson of Michael and Bridget through their son, Cornelius and I remember him well. I recall someone once saying they were descended from river gypsies but I have no way of knowing whether this was true. I tend to undertake research in phases because it's so frustrating hitting a brick wall. If I make any more progress will be in touch. What was Bridget's cause of death?