Author Topic: Clezy, Clezie connections  (Read 77958 times)

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clezy, Clezie connections
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 December 06 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clazy,

Sorry, missed one.

1851 Coldstream, 23 High St, West End.
Agnes Clazy  Serv.  U  20  House Serv.  Berwick,Gordon
to Alexander Rodger  Minister of Free Church.

By the way, my wife tells me that the Clazy/Clazie families are in Berwick and Tweedmouth and have been for as long as she can remember, if you have been in touch with the Berwick office you will have found that out.
Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Ross & Cromarty, Forsyth Bain.
Kincardine, Forsyth Lownie.
Staffordshire - Smith Steele Hallmark Colclough Dunn Booth Frost.
Shropshire - Tennant.
Sheffield - Savage England Corn Trippett.
Lincolnshire - Savage Smalley Allitt Booth Addison Kirton.
Huntingdonshire - Corn Connington Randall Baxter Booth .

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 December 06 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I have found the name, Clazie and various spellings as far back as the 1600s.   William, Francis and a Thomas.  William runs through all the lines.  The first were in Berwick-Upon Tweed...

Thank you again for all you have done.

Sharon :D
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 16 December 06 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clazy,

Was browsing through the IGI and found this.

William Bell m. Isabella Thomson Clazy 23/2/1851 Coldingham & 10/3/1851 Eyemouth, father John Clazy.

A Isabella Clazy bapt. 22/6/1817 Chirnside, parents John Clazy & Margaret Gray.

Missed one in the pre 1855 M.I.'s. at Chirnside.

Helen Carr wife of James Clezy 5.4.1826 62 yrs. son Joseph 18.5.1823 23 yrs. said James Clezie 8.6.1833 66 yrs. Margaret Clazey wife of Thomas Taucher 23.11.1856 65 yrs.  James Clazey son of the above James Clazey d. at Hutton 8.12.1860 58 yrs.

Scottish Borders - Wait Binnie Aitchison Whitelaw Sligo Fairgrieve Fairburn Robinson Plenderlieth Robson Broadwith Park Dickie Kerr Wilson Lockie Oliver Brown Scott.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 16 December 06 12:51 GMT (UK) »
The Clazies and Bells seem to have married each other over several generations and I had only had the one.  Perhaps you can answer a question for me.  So many of them were married in two places including the last Clazey you found...why was that? The last one you found is my line.  Thank you again.

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Beckey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 16 December 06 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Clazey,

The only thing that I know about two weddings, is what I was told, that sometimes they got married at the bride's village and then the grooms or vice a versa, probably because of the families, I've had a few like that and it gets confusing.

Perhaps there is someone out there with a more reasonable solution.

Barry.
Shropshire - Tennant.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 December 06 01:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I wondered if that was the case which makes it confusing when one receives conflicting marriage dates from various sources.  So... it is also a clue...and that is a great help!

Merry Christmas...

Sharon

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 01 July 07 00:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
 Just found some interesting things today. It all ties in with your original post. Jane Ker Ross's grandmother was also Jane Kerr married to James Mathewson. Still trying to find out if Jane and Helen are related. I have also got William Clazy's will from SP and it is really informative, it mentions a lot of people including George Clazy, George and Richard Leitch,  Alexina, Eliza and Jane Lockie. Now the funny one is that he mentions his first wife and leaves something to his wifes cousins (the Lockies). Now I have found the link with Jane Ross and her cousins. Jane had an aunt Elizabeth Mathewson who married Alexander Lockie in Edinburgh, all the children were born in Roxburgh.
Also on SP, not sure if you know there are two other wills one for George Clazy and one for his wife Jessie Clazy/smith.

Georges states that he is rev. minister of Oakshaw Free Church Paisley, d. 31/8/1896 at Ecclestoun, castlehead, Paisley.

Anne.
Scotland:Ross, Wilson, Slater, Reid, White.
England: Todd, Butterworth, Bearpark, Angell, Spreadborough,
to name but a few.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 01 July 07 12:05 BST (UK) »
I had seen the wills and now will go ahead and order them!!  One name that jumped out...Leitch.  Helen Clazy, daughter of George Clazy and Agnes Alexander married John Leitch.  Helen was born in 1810 and died 17 June 1839. He was of Lockton and she was of Eccles.  Banns were posted 14 and 21 April 1833.

George Clazy and Agnes Alexander:  George was born 19 May 1765 and died 5 October 1833, age 69.  Agnes was baptized 1769 and died 31 October 1833.  Their first son, George Clazy was baptized 26 January 1794 in Foulden, Berwick.  He married Robina Bell

George and Robina Bell Clazy had the following children:  Christian, born 17 April 1821 and bapt. July 21, 1821.  Witnesses:  Margart Bell and Adam Clazy; Agnes, bapt.  January 18, 1822 and married 13 June 1856 John Thomson of Eccles; George, born 30 December 1824 and baptized 20 February 1825.  He married Janet Kirkwood Orr, High Church, Paisley.  They had one son, George Robert Clazy who was bapt. 15 June 1860. Janet died and George married Jessie Smith; Margaret was born 24 December 1827 and was baptized 15 January 1828.  Witnesses:  Mr. Oliver and Mr. Waddel; Jane was born 11 December 1832 and baptized 1833 January.  Witnesses:  Adam Clazy and Davidson.

Another researcher sent me this inscription from the Eccles Churchyard erected by Alexander Douglas in memory of his father-in-law, James Lockie, shepherd in Fairyrig11/7/1829 age 60 born 1769.  married Margaret Bell died March 17, 1857 Kelso, Roxb, age 84 born 1793.  Also on the monument:  Mary Lockie baptized 1804 and died August 31, 1822 aged 18 years.  Mary Lockie Douglas March 8, 1826 aged 6 months.

Back to the George who married Agnes Alexander...George had at least two brothers, possibly 3.  That is where I am stuck.  George's father was George Clazy, mother Agnes Middlemiss or Middlemist.  Brother James married Helen Kerr.  William married Isabelle Purvis.  The possible brother John remains elusive.

James and Helen Kerr's son George married Jean or Jane Lockie...and their youngest son, John born in Longformacus married Isabelle Oswald.  These two are the line I travel down...John had a sister Mary who married a John Wilson.  On the parish register I ordered and received for them, they were rebuked for a clandestine marriage in 1833.  I found them...finally in Surrey where they appeared to not have any children.  It was John's son, James who erected the monument on Mary's grave in Surrey.  Have not located John's as he outlived Mary but I keep looking...

Given the names that keep popping up...it would not surprise me if Janet and Helen are related!!

Let me know if I have totally confused you...there are times when I get confused!
Sharon 

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 01 July 07 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
 This is all fascinating, Christian is mentioned in Williams will, along with the Lockie children, whose mother is Jane Kerr Ross' aunt, Elizabeth.
The will makes fascinating reading and cor, did he die wealthy he had over £1800 when he died, and going back to 1892 that was a hell f a lot of money.
The other names mentioned are Agnes Clazy/Halliday/Martin, Jemima Mason widow of Daniel Cook who is a relation to his 2nd wife Mary Mason, his neice Mararet Clazy/McLachlan/Doig widow of James Doig, (this lady signed his death cert.) So all the names tie in. Really glad that we looked at his will as I never knew that the cousins are the Lockies and where they tie in. By checking after readind it is how we found that Isabella Mathewsons mother was the Jane Kerr, have been looking for her parents for ages and have now been able to work out who Isabellas husbands parents were.

Now that is confusing.
Anne
Scotland:Ross, Wilson, Slater, Reid, White.
England: Todd, Butterworth, Bearpark, Angell, Spreadborough,
to name but a few.