Author Topic: Clezy, Clezie connections  (Read 78050 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Clezy, Clezie connections
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 July 07 22:16 BST (UK) »
George and Jean or Jane Lockie:

One of their children was James Kerr Clazy.  He was born 11 January 1816 and baptized 4 February 1816.  He died 23 March 1880 in Cleveland, Ohio US.  He is buried in Woodland Cemetery..  He married Ellen Lockhart 11 June 1840 in Troy, New York, US. Ellen died 27 October 1899.  The spelling of the name settled to "Clazie".  Before moving to Cleveland, the family had gone from Troy, New York to Toronto, Canada...

This information came from Rick Heiser who descends from James and Ellen.  I have not heard from him in a very long time so do not know if he is still pursuing the genealogy.

James and Ellen's first born son:  George Alexander Clazie...the others were Margaret, William James and Ellenor.

Do you have the other children of George and Jean or Jane Lockie?  I have those if not...Isabella was one...

The tree is developing some flesh!!

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
I went tooling through the LDS site...

Ninian Ker married Janet Purves 03 February 1786 Chirnside. 

Helen Carre born 28 May 1843, Edrom.
Father:  Ninian Carre
Mother:  Catherine Runciman

Margaret Claisy, 21 February 1789, Polwarth
Father:  James Claisy.

Ninian seems to be a name that carries down...have you found any Ninians in the Kerr line?

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline anner

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,
I havent got anyone with name yet,  and I am sure I would have remembered a name like Ninian.
I forgot to ask you about the monument in Guildford. Is it a gravestone or an actual monument, I live about 30 mins from Guildford and if It is a monument I could ring their council to ask where it is.  Also could try to locate a headstone and get a picture of it if I can find out what cemetry. Also can you let me know if it is Mary Wilson as all these names are confusing my already addled brain.

Anne.   :)
Scotland:Ross, Wilson, Slater, Reid, White.
England: Todd, Butterworth, Bearpark, Angell, Spreadborough,
to name but a few.

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 21:39 BST (UK) »
Here goes...I was sent a photograph of a headstone that was quite old.  The sender had no idea where this stone was located as she found it in her great-grandmother's trunk.  On the stone it said, "erected by James Oswald Clazey" or something to that effect.  I have misplaced the photo and have begun tearing things apart looking for it!!  I have more on that...Mary Clazie baptized 19 April 1809, Fogo. Father:  James Clazie.

1881 UK Census:
Little House Farm Stringers Common, Worplesdon, surrey, England.
John Wilson, 75 b. Oxton, Scotland.  Farmer
Mary Wilson, 68 b. Fego, Scotland
Arthur Williams 17, b. Weybridge, Surrey, Ag. Lab.
Elizabeth Hampton, 14 b. Woking, Surrey, Servant.

1841:  Parish of Stoke, Manor Farm. Surrey
John Wilson, 30
Mary Wilson 30
It is a headstone...and as I recall it was good size.  Mary died before John did so perhaps John's is nearby as well.

Sharon

Offline eltelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 May 08 22:26 BST (UK) »
I have a Ninian Ker in my family tree who I think is the same one - mine had a daughter Geils (born 1792), who married William Telford (from Dumfries) in 1809. 

'on September 10 1809 William Telford and Giles (Geils) Kerr, daughter of Ninnian Kerr deceased in Sunnyside.  Having been irregularly married at Lambarton Toll on 27 August 1809 had their marriage this day confirmed by our Kirk Parson'

Sunnyside is I presume the farm of that name between Auchencrow and Reston, Coldingham.

I have not found any other trace yet of Ninian, but William and Geils lived in a farm called Stony Moor Riggs near Foulden, and their children are born in Foulden - they were living there in 1851, and at least one of their grandchildren was born there in 1850.

I would be very interested if anyone has any more information of Ninian Kerr.

I went tooling through the LDS site...

Ninian Ker married Janet Purves 03 February 1786 Chirnside. 

Helen Carre born 28 May 1843, Edrom.
Father:  Ninian Carre
Mother:  Catherine Runciman

Margaret Claisy, 21 February 1789, Polwarth
Father:  James Claisy.

Ninian seems to be a name that carries down...have you found any Ninians in the Kerr line?

Sharon

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 03 May 08 01:03 BST (UK) »
One of the addresses I have for a clazie is Sunnyside...have not figured out where they fit in my line exactly but they are related somehow.

Sharon

Offline eltelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 May 08 12:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

I have been tracing all the farms my Telford / Kerr family lived on - Sunnyside is still there but now a riding school for the disabled.  Would be interested to see if there is a Kerr /Clezy connection.  The Kerrs are a new bit of the family for me, but 'Ninian Kerr' should be unusual enough to find I hope.

Best wishes,

Lesley

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 04 May 08 02:01 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find Helen Kerr's family for a very long time.  I have a copy of the Banns and Marriages 1786 Chirnside for James Claizy and Helen Kerr and while looking at it just a moment ago who do I spot at the top of the page but Ninian Kerr!!  Would you like a copy of it?  I can scan it and email it to you.  I suspect the two were related...perhaps brother and sister?

Sharon

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 04 May 08 02:09 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add...name was spelled Ker...I also have her burial location as well along with her husband and most of their children.

It was their youngest son, John, who married Isabella Oswald.  I am descended from their oldest son, George Oswald Clazey.   Their last and youngest daughter, Mary, married a Wilson...rebuked for a clandestine marriage...they had a farm in Surry and that is where both died.

Sharon