Author Topic: Clezy, Clezie connections  (Read 78151 times)

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clezy, Clezie connections
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 04 May 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've no connections to these family's but here is some MI from Chirneside you might be interested in
Number 181: Ninean Ker 14.7.1806 75yrs
 on back
Mary Galdie?Calder? spouse to Ninian Ker tenant in Reston West Side 5.12.1775 45yrs, children Mary, James, Mary and Margaret son George

Number 182: John Ker late tennant in Green Mains 1.11.1787 68yrs
 on side
Elizabeth Hogg spouse to John Ker portioner in Berwick 23.11.1808 43yrs. Ninian and 2 Johns and 3 daus. of their children who all died in inf.

Number 183:Helen Carr wife of James Clezy 5.4.1826 62yrs. son Joseph 18.5.1823 23yrs. said James Clezie 8.6.1833 66yrs. Margaret Clazey wife of Thomas Taucher 23.11.1856 65yrs. James Clazey son of above James Clazey d. Hutton 8.12.1860 58yrs.

These are from David Cargill's Berwickshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre 1855) and was compiled during the summers of 1867-1970
Fiona

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 05 May 08 10:06 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this.  Maybe this is the family of Helen Ker I have been searching for!!  And, perhaps someone could answer a question on the Thomas Taucher mentioned as spouse of Margaret Clazey.  How would one pronounce the last name?

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline eltelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon and Fiona,

This is wonderful - there is lots here to get looking at.   The Ninian Ker in the Chirnside MI that Fiona quotes could be the right one for me - when his daughter Geils married William Telford in 1809 he was deceased.  I am on holiday in Spain at the moment, so a bit away from my records, but will check all this when I get back.  Thanks again (Sharon - I will message you off list with my email - I would be v grateful if you could send me scan of the Banns & Marriages Chirnside that you mention).

Best wishes,

Lesley

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 07 May 08 23:04 BST (UK) »
I did a quick check through the IGI:  Ninian Ker married Margaret Teleford 7 July 1818, Coldingham.

John Ker married Elizabeth Hogg 01 November 1785.

Ninian Carr b. 25 March 1806 married Catherine Runciman 17 February 1837.  Father of Ninian was Thomas., Coldingham.

Scan is on the way.

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline caraid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 10 May 08 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi again
Just found a Ninian Kerr maried to  Marine Caldra 8th June 1753 in Buncle & Preston. That would tie in with Grave no 181 that I gave earlier.
Fiona

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 10 May 08 22:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you...now I am curious about Ninian Ker I have in Chirnside 1786 to Janet Purvis...possibly related?

Sharon

Offline eltelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 16 May 08 08:26 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

Many thanks to you all for your help in my Kerr searches.  I have now had a message from another contact who has done extensive research in the Kerr family in Berwick - so I am going to go through that.

The wonders of the internet!

I will keep an eye open for any Clezy, Clezie connections and post them here if I find them.

Thanks again,

Lesley

Offline patonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 03 October 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
Sharon,

In regard to the 1703 marriage of William Clazy to Katharin Liongat in Hutton, Berwickshire, I wonder whether Katharin's last name has been mis-read. I confess that I haven't seen a photograph of the actual marriage entry, but in checking on FamilySearch I found that this marriage is the sole occurrence of the name 'Liongat' or 'Liongate' anywhere on their website. I suspect that the name really was
'Lidgat(e)' or possibly "Ludgat(e)'. Although the IGI has only 7 Lidgats in Britain (& only one of those in Scotland), it has about 425 LidgatE events. More than half of those are in England (including 27 in Northumberland) but 194 are in Scotland (including 92 in Berwickshire, 14 in Roxburghshire, and almost all the others in the Lothians). The Berwickshire entries include large concentrations in Chirnside and Duns. The name 'Ludgate' occurs quite frequently in England, and there are also about 110 Scottish Ludgate events listed, including 32 in Berwickshire. So . . . my guess is "Katharin Lidgat(e)".

Some time ago you asked about the book "Pae Dirt". A few years ago, when living in the New York metropolitan area, I consulted this little book in the NY Public Library, and I have photocopies of a few pages which interested me. Much of the work deals with Paes, Peays etc. in North America. However, pages 1-5 discuss the family background in Scotland, and traditions which suggest a French Huguenot link (as with the Clezys and Paulins). Pages 7-23 consist of summarized details of Pae entries in Coldingham, Chirnside and other Berwickshire parish registers, occasionally with brief notes by author Phyllis Richards Kyle. For the baptism of Margaret Pae, 10 Feb. 1771, she has the note "Is this the Margaret who married James Steele in 1793?" From the details Kyle compiled a likely descent can be seen from Archibald Pae to his son Alexander (m. Janet Kay 1706), to his son Archibald (m. secondly to Mary Anderson in 1739), to their son Alexander (m. Elspeth Allanshaw 1766), to Margaret Pae who married James Steele.

I am descended from Isabella Steele Clezy, one of the younger daughters of John Clezy and wife Mary Steele, who emigrated to South Australia in 1849 on the "Anna".

Best wishes,    Bob

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 04 October 08 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you!  I have not done much lately with genealogy and was pulling some things out to get back at it!   The spelling makes perfect sense and I knew I had a Lidgate somewhere on one of the documents I had - found it June 16, 1756 - on same page as James Claizy and Helen Ker - Proclamation of Banns and Marriages - Alexander Lidgate in Ninewells(?) to Mary Home?.  I had been in correspondence with Dr. Peter Clezy in Australia and with the very last letter I received from him he said that somewhere he had information on John Clazey who had married an Oswald.   To this day I have been unable to find either a marriage or death record for John Clazey. I do have the death register for his wife Isabella Oswald Clazey in 1875.   In 1841 Census she is living with one son and the other son is an apprentice elsewhere.

I have always suspected that James Claizy and William Clazy are related but been unable to prove the connection.  A couple of us think James was a son of George and Agnes Middlemist or Middlemiss. They had a son William as well.  That is as far back as I have been unable to get.

I have not heard from DR. Clezy in a very long time...he did send a letter from the 1930s from the last of one Clazy line - George the minister - again speculation - George, James and William possible brothers.

I will begin hunting around ...would love to one day find John and Isabella information and prove connections between the above! Would love to discover when or where the name came from...find Clazeys abt. 1645 in Berwick Upon Tweed but nothing before that.

Sharon