Author Topic: Raynes of Cork  (Read 26495 times)

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Raynes of Cork
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Came across details of John Raynes & Theresa's marriage on Rosemary Ffolliott's newspaper index.  Although John George seems to have a birth date of 1822 approx, the records on www.irishgenealogy.ie for John Raynes and Theresa Sullivan do not appear to have a John George so is he their son??

Details on newspaper -

Southern Reporter 13 July  1819 - On Sunday morning by the Rev Dean Collins, John Raynes Esq. Master of the Brig HIBERNIA of Cork to Theresa 4th daughter of the late Francis Sullivan of Warren's Quay, Esq.   

So both fathers were gentlemen with the Esq title.

Again this supports the idea of the "Raynes" as Ship's Masters.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 18 January 11 22:03 GMT (UK) »
John,

Looked at the posts again and I see that you have John's dob for  1825 so I presume  this is the man who went to England and changed his name to Ryall, so the pieces seem to be falling into place.

Mary

Offline tickle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 06 February 12 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

I've been reading your posts with interest. I'm descended from the RAIN(E)S family who you'd found being buried in Cork. Is there any further information on the gravestone which mentiosn 2 Johns and others. I've got the transcript form Henshion but would be interested in and avilabe entries from the church registers, if they exists, or a transcript of the gravestones themselves. I'm also looking for my gggrandmother Kate Raines, daughter of William, who was born in February 1837 possibly in Irelsnd, Kensington, Gravesend, Kent or the City of London depending which census I have to hand at the time. Infuriating woman. William does not appear anywhere at all, and resolutely refuses to be found. Any halp at all with this one would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tickle
Alder - Berks
Benning/Bening - Middx, & Cambs
Brook - Suffolk/Cambs
Burton - Herts
Petley - Suffolk
Death - Suffolk
Ellington - Suffolk/Cambs
Elsworth - New York
Fayers/Faiers/Faires - Suffolk
Grasemann - Germany & London
Howels - Hants
Mitchell - Sussex, Surrey
Oldham - Lancs
Priest - Hants
Raines - Co Cork, Ireland
Rysdyck/Rysdyke - Netherlands, & New York
Ryder - Cheshire/Lancs
Sanders - Hants
Urmson - Cheshire
Willis - Suffolk
Woodham - Cambs, Beds, Essex

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 02 March 12 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Just a little note, I came across two headstones recently at St. Joseph's cemetery, Cork for Raynes -

To the memory of /Elizabeth Raynes/ the beloved sister of/ the late Henry C Raynes/ who departed
this life in Birmingham/ 9th March 1891/ aged 67 years.

2  Henry C. Raynes & his beloved wife Bessie Josephine - very illegible but a very large celtic cross for a
headstone.

Both headstones are side by side.

Mary
Celtic liberty

Offline oreston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 09 March 12 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mary,

Many thanks for another tantalizing Birmingham reference there.

So Elizabeth Raynes (my great great aunt ) died in Birmingham, one imagines while staying with her Raynes / Ryall relatives, but is nonetheless buried in Cork.

And if she was 67 in 1891 that's a good match for a birth year of around 1823.

I feel a little more Irish with every post on this thread  :)

Paul

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 09 March 12 22:24 GMT (UK) »
You are welcome.

As I have now given you the date of death for Elizabeth in Birmingham you could get a death cert.

From this you might get some more new information - maybe details of the informant which might be
a family member. 

I will try to post the headstone photo here but I have to minimize it and hope it works.

Mary

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 09 March 12 22:54 GMT (UK) »
This is  a photo of Henry Christopher Raynes' headstone.  It is quite illegible.

It is located right next to his sister Elizabeth's headstone.

Mary

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 March 12 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Close up of Henry Christopher's headstone but not clear

Mary

Offline a.m. raines

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 October 14 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi... I've read with great interest the postings about the couple of Raynes generations discussed in this forum and thought you may all like to see the following extracts from Irish newspapers confirming the relationship between John Raynes Esq. and Captain James Raynes murdered onboard the Mary Russell on the 22nd of June 1828, and how Francis Rayanes, also a captain, met his end.

Freeman’s Journal – Monday 24 September 1855

LOSS OF THE NEW CITY OF CORK – By a telegraphic despatch received yesterday, we perceive that the New City of Cork, belonging to the city, was lately lost in Barbados in one of those hurricanes which are such a frequent occurrence in the West Indies. We regret to add that the master, who is also the owner, Mr. Francis Raynes, a native of this city, was unfortunately washed overboard during the hurricane and drowned. Captain Raynes was nephew to the late Captain Raynes, who coming as a passenger from the West Indies in 1828, was murdered with seven or eight of the crew of the Mary Russell, by Captain Stewart, for alleged mutiny, - Cork Reporter.

Cork Examiner – Wednesday 26th September 1855

WRECK OF THE “NEW CITY OF CORK” (From the Barbados Globe of August 27.)
It has become our painful duty to state for the information of our readers “at Home” and in the Sister Colonies, that this Island, since our last issue, has been visited by a very heavy gale of wind, which has been attended with the loss of three vessels and of four valuable lives. The morning of Friday was excessively sultry, and a dead calm prevailed; by twelve o’clock the excellent barometer at the commercial Hall clearly foretold what was about to happen; the wind got up in the afternoon and blew fresh from the South and by West, and from then till one o’clock in the morning of Saturday it continued to increase in violence; at that hour it had become almost a storm – the rain falling in torrents – and an awful sea rolling in from the South-West. Shortly before two the brig New City of Cork, Raynes, master, partly loaded, dragged both anchors and went on shore on the Pier Head. By the exertions (as we learned on our reaching the scene of the disaster) of Captain Kirby of the Peri, Mr. Police Magistrate Clarke and few others, a rope thrown from the Brig and secured on the shore, by which the Mate and all the crew, except the Boatswain, were got safely to land. On the boatswain’s attempting to follow he was washed from his hold, and was instantly overwhelmed by the waves and perished. Captain Raynes, now the last on board, was standing on the counter of his vessel, which was lying broadside on the rocks, when a tremendous sea struck her – broke up in a moment every portion of her, from the foremast aft, and swept him off in the wreck of his much beloved ship; his death was probably instantaneous, for when found the next afternoon, the back of his head was ascertained to be dreadfully fractured. The remains of this much-lamented gentleman – the soul of honour and integrity – one of the most generous hearted of men, and the universal favourite of everyone who knew him –after a Coroner’s inquest had sat on him, were next morning conveyed to their last resting place in the Roman Catholic burying ground, from the Pier Head Stores of Messr. Michael Cavan & Co., followed by the survivors of his crew, and by a large number of sorrowing friends and acquaintances. The boatswain’s remains were discovered the next day and decently interred in St. Mary’s.
   The Barque William Large, which was discharging, and the schooner Kohinoor, the property of Charles Leatham, Esq., of Dominica, came on shore about the same time with the ill-fated New City of Cork, but on a less rocky part of the coast. The William Large will, however, prove a total wreck, but it is probable that the Kohinoor may be got off by taking out her masts and ballast. In the latter of these vessels life was also unfortunately lost, a black sailor belonging to this Island having been washed off the deck and instantly drowned, his body was found in the morning.

You can read an account of the Mary Russell murders on the following link:

http://www.historyireland.com/18th-19th-century-history/forced-from-this-world-massacre-on-the-mary-russell/

kind regards,

Michael Raines