Author Topic: Photo printed on tin  (Read 5583 times)

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Photo printed on tin
« on: Thursday 18 May 06 05:44 BST (UK) »
I have been attached a scan of a photograph which was originally printed on tin. 

The original is 360kb in jpg form or 2.9mb as a bitmap.  My few attempts at photo restoration have been rather lame (to say the least), so I would appreciate any help I could get in restoring this photograph.

Contact me by PM if you would like to be emailed the larger files.

Thanks
Leonie
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline saddles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo printed on tin
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 May 06 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello.

Can you obtain another scan at 600dpi, if so it would
help in trying to restore/repair or enhance the image.

Mike.
Townson - Cartmel                      O'Malley - Askeaton, Ireland
Sadler - Dymock & Salford           Tomlinson - St Peters, Leeds
Wilkinson - Salford                      Chant - Sherbourne, Dorset
Garner - Pendleton

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 May 06 10:50 BST (UK) »
Blimey Leonie!!!  ;D ;D ;D
I just read the caption that goes with that photo - the owner is SOOOOOOO lucky the picture didn't fracture right off the metal when he hammered it flat!  :o :o :o  PLEEEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSE tell him to keep hammers away from photos, even ones on metal.  You had me - a photo conservator - in conniptions there for a while  :o  ;D

We can probably do a reasonable job on this but it would definitely help to have a higher-res scan to start with, if that's possible.

Cheers
Prue

Offline tomkin

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 May 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Prue,
              Well that had me reaching for the dictionary.
I don't think that I've seen that word before.
Fun and education at the same time.Love it. ;D ;D ;D
Tomkin

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 May 06 01:58 BST (UK) »
I've never seen the original.  I imagine its located in Canberra (where my distant cousin lives).  From what I can gather he photographed it after hammering it flat. 

The bitmap I have is larger than the photo on my blog and is rather more detailed - its 3mb - and can be dowloaded from here:
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/price/cooper_unidentified.bmp
(was 'spunkymungbeans') Price (Bristol), Pow (Scotland), Neilson (Scotland), Cooper (Yorkshire), Laister (Yorkshire/Nottingham/Lincolnshire)
Lookups:  NSW & Norfolk Musters to 1828; Rookwood Cemetery and Woronora Cemetery transcriptions and grave photographs - post at Australian Emigrants board

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 May 06 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Leonie,

The bmp isn't too bad, I will have a go at it but hopefully someone else who's better at cleanups will also attempt it.  ;D

Unfortunately, tintypes lack alot of tonal information so it will be difficult to get much out of the black and highlight areas in your pic, but at least it might come out looking a bit neater.

I live in Canberra so I might pop round and take the hammer off your rellie!  ;)

Prue

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 May 06 05:50 BST (UK) »
Well Prue - like Tomkin you had me reaching for the dictionary too. A word I had never heard. One learns something everyday. Mind you - I can have a conniption any day of the week  ::) ::) and probably will now I know what it means.

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 May 06 05:53 BST (UK) »
 ;D see, you learn something new every day!!  ;D

Prue (conniption-free today  ;) )

Offline Mungbeans

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 19 May 06 08:10 BST (UK) »
>conniption-free today

Can't say the same here.  I have several a day - usually male-child related.

Prue, thank you for having a go at cleaning the picture up.  Its a pity that no one marked where it was taken and who the men were.  I suspect they are some of my Cooper ancesters.

Leonie