Author Topic: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941  (Read 26954 times)

Offline WilliamLornePaxton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shaftesbury Homes,Bisley Boys Central School 1936-1941
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I know his best friend at Bisley was named Jack Johnson (how's that for a common name!!).

I am getting a jpeg of my dad when he was around 9 or 10 yrs old which I will post as soon as I have it.

Oh, we also have a book called When Dreams come true (Or something like that) that gives the history of the school

Thanks for your reply and I'll be back in touch with the photos.

Lorna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 August 09 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
here are a couple of photos of my dad- Lorne Paxton. In one of them he was probably 9 and the other we're guessing anywhere from 18-22.

He was born in 1931 in Canada to English parents. He was actually a canadian citizen and not long after bisley he returned to canada and joined the army and went to Korea.

Anyway, let me know if the photos ring a bell.

Many thanks,
Lorna Paxton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 08 August 09 02:00 BST (UK) »
forgot the images...

Offline ancient brit

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 02 October 09 13:30 BST (UK) »
Good day Ron. Just fell into this website, I was a Bisley Boy, and guess what, my name is/was George Savage, I left in 42 and went on to "Arborfield Boys School" 3years and then onto the Colours, were I spent 26 years, most of them good years, I hope Im the Savage you knew, My older brother was also at Bisley, was Senior Boy whist in the Junior School. Cheers.

Offline johnpeeler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 October 09 20:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Ron????,

Thanks for the reply and have you any info on your House name as I was one of the "Ironsides"
I have some pics ,very good ones from that era and in touch with a "Chobby  Wells" who had two older other brothers.

In fact had seen him a couple of times as he lives in Mersea Island  in Essex and have had quite a few chats with him tis last year.

Anyway if you are interested I could send you a couple of  prints over.

John. 

Offline p.johnston

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 24 January 10 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, my father was at Bisley boys school around that time, he said it was a tough school but the education was fantastic, they were even taught Latin & ancient Greek.
Now i have a photo of my dad in the army cadets camping out whilst attending Bisley. He said that in this photo he had hold of his best friend who was in-front of him, but i don't remember what his name was, or if he mentioned it.
I wonder if this is the same person you are talking about.
Oh my fathers name is / was Jack Johnston
If this photo is of any help to anyone, i will gladly post it on to you by email, there are 6 other boys in the photo.

My address is Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses.  Thank you
If you know who these boys are, it would be nice for me to put names to faces, & what they went on to do in their lives.

Offline hmcmillan29

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandparents, Leslie & Kitty Sharpe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 24 January 10 14:50 GMT (UK) »

Hi All,

I have just stumbled over this topic and I was attracted to the name "Shaftesbury". 

My Great Great Grandfather was connected to the Shaftesbury Society.  He wasnt a pupil, so Im guessing he was staff.

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have no idea where he was based, or anything about what he did.  Maybe you would recognise his name.  I realise that he would have died before some of you were there, but as the saying goes....If you dont ask, you dont get!!

His name was Samuel Sharpe.  He was born in 1859 Bethnal Green and he died in 1937 in Streatham, London.  I believe that his wife also had connections too and her name was Minnie Sharpe. 

My Gran has a bible that was presented to him, (I think from Lord Shaftesbury, I will need to check to writing again in the bible).

What a fascinating post.  I will continue to read about your memories in the homes.

Many thanks
Hazel  :)
HUGUENOTS, Silk weavers, Bethnal Green, Mdx, France
Sharpe - Bethnal Green, Mdx
Painel/Painell/Pennel - Bethnal Green, Mdx, Normandy(?) France
McMillan - Kilmarnock, Beith, Kilbirnie (all Ayrshire), Glasgow, Ireland
Young - Beith, Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
Hamilton - Glasgow, Midlothian, Calcutta India.

Offline hmcmillan29

• RootsChat Member
  • My Great Grandparents, Leslie & Kitty Sharpe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 24 January 10 17:19 GMT (UK) »

Hi John,

Thank you very much for the PM.  The info is amazing, thanks.

I must ask my Gran if she knows the role, whereabouts, timescale etc, of when my Great Great Grandfather was connected to the Shaftesbury Homes.

His wife Minnie died whilst working at one of the homes.  On her death certificate in 1920, she was stated as the "Wife of Samuel Sharpe, Official of the Shaftesbury Society, Superintendant of the Lads Rest".

I will continue to read your posts here and I will now try and seek some info on my ancestors times in the homes.

Thank you for your time.

Hazel
HUGUENOTS, Silk weavers, Bethnal Green, Mdx, France
Sharpe - Bethnal Green, Mdx
Painel/Painell/Pennel - Bethnal Green, Mdx, Normandy(?) France
McMillan - Kilmarnock, Beith, Kilbirnie (all Ayrshire), Glasgow, Ireland
Young - Beith, Kilbirnie, Ayrshire
Hamilton - Glasgow, Midlothian, Calcutta India.

Offline gerald.pntlworld.c

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ron
I was at the juniors  from 1939-1942 i was a Trojan then i was transfered to the Shaftesbury House about three miles up a gravil road.
i remember the Headmaster Read. I think the master of the shoeshop was Winton. I remember going down to the airraid shelter quite a lot during the War.
I remember Thompson ( Douglas) and his brother Peter sadly no longer with us.
I am in touch with Douglas Thompson i ring him occasionly and he rings me.
I think the film shows were on a Wednesdays and if you punished for any reason you could not watch the film show, do you remember the Senna we used to have on a Saturdays after Breakfast When i was at the Shaftesbury House we used to march to the Juniors School for our lessons and on Sundays we marched to the Chapel which was next to the School we Marched behind the band.didnt you go to the Shaftesbury house i think you went there when you was about 12 years of age and you wore long trousers then.
I left the School in 1948.
gerald.

If there is anything else you want to know keep in touch.