Author Topic: Occupation Buck Maker  (Read 7698 times)

Offline Galadriel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Occupation Buck Maker
« on: Saturday 20 May 06 11:34 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me what a buck maker did? My 4th great grandfather gives his occupation as Buck Maker on the 1841 census. His residence was Buck Kiln in Henley on Thames which was either on or close to the Fawley Court Estate
Young, Harrison, Clavering, Clisby, Hodgkinson, Meneely, Forster, Storey, Cornforth

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Occupation Buck Maker
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 06 11:46 BST (UK) »
Are you sure it said Buck and not Brick?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galadriel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 May 06 12:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion Valda. I think you're probably right. Although it looks more like Buck, from the other hand writing on the page it could arguably be brick & this obviously fits better with Kiln!! Strange how the obvious sometimes passes you by!
Young, Harrison, Clavering, Clisby, Hodgkinson, Meneely, Forster, Storey, Cornforth

Offline Kiwi1949

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 March 18 06:14 GMT (UK) »
It may have been a shortened form for a Buckram Maker.
Have a look a the list of Archaic occupations here:
https://www.familyresearcher.co.uk/glossary/Dictionary-of-Old-Occupations-Index.html#Old-Occupations-B

I've got one in my family tree too, definitely not a brick maker. His wife is a dressmaker. Buckram is coarse linen or other cloth stiffened with gum or paste, and used as interfacing and in bookbinding.

Sue

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 March 18 06:38 GMT (UK) »
The OP hasn't been on rootschat for over 6 years I'm afraid. Logically, the fact that "kiln" is mentioned points to the mystery word being "brick" rather than "buck/ram" though .....  :)  and backed up by tonepad's links.

Doesn't much matter any more as I'm sure the OP must have long ago solved the mystery. :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 March 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't much matter any more as I'm sure the OP must have long ago solved the mystery. :)

I'm sure you're right. But out of interest I took a look. Given the way the enumerator formed the letter 'r' there's no doubt that it is brick. Reference is HO 107 / 8741 / 5 / 52 / 29
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bob4866

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 15 March 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,  I have just seen your post from 2006 concerning the trade "Buck Maker." This has now appeared in my family tree.  Did you get an answer to your question?  My research has produced a possible answer:

Occupation of Buck Maker might refer to the occupation of Buck Washer: A person who used to wash or soak clothes or cloth in lye (buck) - a bleaching agent, e.g. cothing manufacturer or laundry. Possibly that the Buck Maker were the persons who mixed the lye soap mixture that was used to wash clothes.

What is Lye?

Lye is a very caustic chemical capable of causing serious damage. It can burn skin, cause blindness, and even cause death if ingested.  Yet, this dangerous chemical is one of the main components of handmade soaps. Extreme caution had to be taken when using lye in soap making. Protective glasses should have been worn, arms and legs should be kept covered, gloves should be worn, and an acid such as vinegar should be kept nearby to counter-act lye’s alkalinity if it should come in contact with skin.  What wasn't known at the time was the vinegar would react with the lye and create more heat when it came in contact with the lye. Instead, it would have been better to run the exposed area until cold water for 15 minutes.  Good ventilation is another consideration when working with lye.  The other main ingredient of the soap is fat or tallow. When fat and lye are combined in proper proportions, a chemical reaction called saponification occurs. The end result is soap plus glycerin. Some made soap using lye made from wood ash. Sophisticated scales for measuring were not available and often too much lye was used.  When saponification occurred, some lye was left in the soap, making it harsh on the skin. It was important to measure carefully so that the correct amount of lye is used.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 March 19 23:01 GMT (UK) »
I’ve just recieved notification of a reply to this old thread.

Welcome to rootschat Bob. Yes, I think Galadriel did get the answer to her question, though she has not logged in to rootschat for over 10 years and has not confirmed if further research has confirmed this.

As the address is “BRICK Kiln” and the area had a brick making industry, there is little or no doubt that the occupation is Brick Maker. Also note the dots above the “i”s in both examples of the word in the snip provided by JenB.

:)