Author Topic: How did miners move area??  (Read 9795 times)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How did miners move area??
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 11:38 BST (UK) »
I don't know about other mines but if we look at the history of coal mining, prior to the mid/late 1800s it wasn't a huge industry - most mines were small concerns and would have possibly have employed the sons, daughters and other family of our aglabs from within the surrounding area. this would have meant that accommodation was at that time not a problem. However by the 1850s to 1880s many larger mines were being developed that would employ several hundred people. and of course in most areas several mines would be developed over a very short period. So the necessity for housing and infrastructure was a shock to local authorities and mining companies alike - houses were built by both, to no better standards than was absolutely necessary.
         After WW2 when coal was nationalized we were in a boom period caused by the rebuilding/reorganization of industry and although the NCB had bought many houses from previous colliery owners, it found it had to build many more - I couldn't put a figure on how much housing was built in the 10-20years after the war, but I am sure it was a substantial figure.

Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 12:04 BST (UK) »
Just to confirm what Osprey said:
The working and living conditions of the workers were for much of the time appalling, with the level of wages rising and falling with the fluctuations in the price of iron. Row upon row of worker's houses were built as more employees were needed at the ironworks. The houses were without even the most basis sanitation. The houses were owned by the ironmaster, so if a worker was made redundant for any reason he also lost his home. Most workers therefore did not dare to rebel individually against the ironmaster.
from http://www.thomasgenweb.com/nantyglo_round_towers.html

this article also mentions another aspect of mining life which would also have played a role here, the truck, or company shop:
The truck or company shop was another method of control over the workers, and an extra source of income for the ironmaster. Prices were often 20% higher than in local shops and during the frequent cash flow crisis at the works, goods from the company shop were given to the workers in lieu of wages.

What they don't mention in the article, is that wages were often paid in 'scrip' which was only exchangable at the company shop
('scrip' is the wrong word, but I can't remember the exact phrase used.)

Bob

Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
Found it:

About 50 yards on is a large older building next to a row of bungalows.  His was formerly the Company (Truck) Shop (16).  The workers at Nantyglo were paid in tokens (instead of the coin of the realm) which could only be exchanged for goods at the Company Shop.  As prices at the shop were inflated, the Ironmasters profits were increased. The worker and his or her family were totally dependent upon the Baileys.

The ironmasters Crawshay and Bailey were imortalised in the welsh folksong
"Cosher Bailey had an engine ...." (with millions of verses) which I used to sing in student folkclubs.

Bob

ps. more on this theme in internet, search for "ironmastes company shop"
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 12:28 BST (UK) »
Whatn I would like to know is how did they become aware of these jobs in other mining areas.We have to remember that this was a time when there was no such thing as the Job Centres we have today.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 13:26 BST (UK) »
The thing which hasn't been considered is that the families of miners probably had very few possesions to take with them.  They could carry most of them and the for few they couldn't it was probably cheaper to sell them than try to transport them.

For example what was a bed?  A sack filled with straw and a cover.  Empty the sack and it is easy to carry.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 13:34 BST (UK) »
From an answer to my post Brecon Somerset connections on Somerset board by Annie RN
"I too have found several family members moving to and from Midsummer Norton and Monmouth.  I went round Radstock local museum recently and saw an advertisement offering free oilskins and other inducements to miners who moved to Wales."
Yes a bed sack would be easy but surely they needed pots and pans to make food on the journey and blankets and the family Bible and...
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 May 06 13:40 BST (UK) »
The one pot and  pan could be carried.  Blankets they probably didn't have.  Could they read?  A family bible was unlikely.  They could probably wear most of their clothes.  The list of what they actually owned was very small.
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 29 May 06 13:27 BST (UK) »
This is interesting re the Cornwall to Co Durham migration Chris Pomeroy has written an article Some history: how the Cornishmen came to Cramlington (adapted from an article by Kath Fenwick and Ann Ray) http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~allpoms/neengland1.htm

Also from http://www.durhamrecordsonline.com/literature/miners_lives.php "...Thousands of families took to the road every April from 1809-1844 and 1864-72 with all of their humble belongings on a hired flat-cart, with or without a pony. Then the music stopped, the new bond was 'signed' (usually with a cross) by the working members of the family and the new life began. Many clans moved from pit village to pit village every year or whenever the urge struck them. That is why it is so difficult to keep track of the movements of one's mining ancestors. The great hope of amateur genealogists is to find some of their ancestors who actually stayed put for twenty years or more and who are therefore mentioned in successive censuses in one place."
Hope this interests you
I find it very usuful insight only hope mine weren't strike breakers!
Trees
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 May 06 13:44 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that they were only hired for 364 days so that they did not establish settlement in the village with all the implications of supporting them if they were sick or injured that this involved.  If they were not rehired for the next year they would be forced to move on or even back to their home village.

David