Author Topic: CORONER'S INQUEST 1922  (Read 4095 times)

Offline alex0clive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
CORONER'S INQUEST 1922
« on: Saturday 20 May 06 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find details of a inquest that took place on 19/01/1922

My ancestor, Jonah West,  was killed in the 'Pentwyn Colliery' on 16 Jan 1922.

Cause of death  accidently suffocated by foul air

Does anyone know if he was the only one killed at this accident or were there others?

Would appreciate any help

Thanks

dawn

Gillard, Horn, Powlesland, Cooper, Crocker - Okehampton Devon

West, Grove(s), Polsom - Monmouthshire

Offline ore-dragon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: CORONER'S INQUEST 1922
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 May 06 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi AlexOclive,

The inquest details may be available from the County Records Office.  I am not sure which one for Pentwyn.

The other alternative is to check out the local newspapers, which may have details of the accident and the inquest.  As I am not sure where the Pentwyn Colliery is, I can only give the names of newspapers for the South Wales Area.  You could try,

Methyr Express (there is a West Monmouthshire Edition)
South Wales Echo
South Wales Argus
Caerphilly Journal
Pontypridd Observer

These are generally available in local history libraries.

Ore Dragon

Offline nicola1968

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 03:42 BST (UK) »
Pentwyn Colliery was in machen.

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 14 23:00 BST (UK) »
Nottingham Evening Post 20 January 1922
Miners Heroism
Rescuer Overcome by Fumes in Welsh Pit

The story of heroism in a Welsh mine, involving the death of one of the rescue party, was related at an inquest yesterday at Pontypool on two men employed in the Pentwyn colliery, Abersychan. The men were Jonah West, 38, and Samuel Joy, 38. The evidence showed that West's working place was condemned owing to the presence of foul air. Missing West, and finding his lamp at the entrance to the condemned road, Joy and another miner named Edward Rogers went in search of him. Joy was overcome by the fumes and Rogers, feeling himself sway, was forced to retreat. Stanley Jones, another miner then entered with a rope around the waist, but was forced to return. He made a second entrance and recovered West's dead body. Joy's body was later found 15 yards down the road. High tributes were paid to the men's heroism by Mr Robert Jones, Coroner, who recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Hope this helps
MarMnkly
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk