Author Topic: 1891 and 1901 Census - Templeman in Merthry Tydil  (Read 4220 times)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 and 1901 Census - Templeman in Merthry Tydil
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 May 06 09:15 BST (UK) »
Thankyou so much daisy, arranroots and rhys!

according to the 1881 census
54 Penn St, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales
Charles Templeman H M male 60 Chinnock, Somerset
Mary Ann (nee Rogers) W M female 54 Chinnock, Somerset
Jane  D U female 16 Chinnock, Somerset
Caius S U male 18 Chinnock, Somerset
Martha D U female 11 Chinnock, Somerset

I have also been told that Charles William Fredrick?  was Caius' brother but he may have been a cousin?  CWF married Elizabeth Alice Hinton. 

I believe that Charles' parents were Charles and Sarah (nee Churchill) 
they were married 24 Sept  1816 East Chinnock Somerset.  He was buried 15 Oct 1844 Blessed Virgin Mary EC
I think they had children:
Caroline
Martha
Nancy
Louis Phillip
Adeline
Henry Pissey (what a strange name!) 1836
Henry Percy 1841
Fanny
George Marius
Edwin

I also think that this Charles had the parents Francis and Martha Templeman.  Francis was buried 6 April 1826 aged 81 (1745) and Martha was buried 18 Jun 1827 aged 90 (1737)

Sorry to be ignorant but I thought Somerset was in England and yet it seems to have a very strong connection to Wales.  Is there some history to this?

Tanya :)
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 May 06 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Tanya

Sorry to be ignorant but I thought Somerset was in England and yet it seems to have a very strong connection to Wales.  Is there some history to this?

You are right: many miners and allied trades moved from Somerset to Wales (and vice versa, depending on where the work was at the time).  Farriers would have been needed in mining communities for all sorts of metal working, not just shoeing horses.

I would guess that Henry Pissey and Henry Percy above are the same man!

You have lost me with Charles's parents!  ??? Obviously Martha & hubby won't show up on censuses, but have you traced Sarah & hubby?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 May 06 09:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the history lesson!

I havent looked for Charles and Sarah Templeman.  I guess my geography of Wales hasnt been good as most of the places I have thought to look have been spread from one side of Wales to the other - and the whole Somerset in wales or england had me baffled.

I do believe that the family is from Chinnock though.

The only census records I can access are 1881 or most of the scottish records - so any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED

tanya
 ;)
bates (marsworth and drayton parslow) campbell (derrylard and loughgall) connell (paisley) cunningham (west lothian) macauley (liverpool, accrington and bacup) templeman (somerset)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 May 06 09:34 BST (UK) »
This should help then: also solves the Henry dilemma!!

1841 census  HO107/946/3/15/25

Yeovil Rd, East Chinnock, Somerset

Charles TEMPLEMAN 60 - Army - Y
Sarah 40 Y
Caroline 18 Y
Martha 16 Y
Nancy Jane 13 Y
Louis Philip 10 Y
Adeline 7 Y
Henry Peircy Y

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 22 May 06 09:41 BST (UK) »
Ooooooo!

Wow they do exist!

The thing about Henry is that there are 2  Henry Templemans buried in the Blessed Virgin Mary Cemetery in East Chinnock.

Henry Pissey 1836? buried 24 Oct 1838 aged 2
Henry Percy 1841? buried 26 March 1843

What does your Y mean - that yes they were alive/present?

and do you have any idea why Charles would have been in the Army?  who was at war to have an army in 1841?

miles of smiles
tanya  :D

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 22 May 06 09:44 BST (UK) »
Glad to cheer somebody up this dreadful morning - the rain is just pouring down here!

In the 1841 census, folk were asked "Were you born in the county?" Y = Yes, N = No.  (Not always reliable!)

This confirms the death of Charles snr

1851 census  HO107/1929/226/30 & 31

Sarah TEMPLEMAN Head Wid 54 - nurse - Somerset East Chinnock
Martha dau U 26 - sailcloth weaver - ditto
Louis Philip son U 19 - ditto - ditto
Adeline dau 17 ditto - ditto - deaf and dumb
Henry son grand 7 - errand boy - ditto
Fanny granddau 3 - ditto
George do dau (!?) 6 mo - ditto

Address: Yeovil Rd, East Chinnock, Somerset

A  ;)

I am not a military person - why not post on the Armed forces Board of Rootschat?  They are very clever over there!

Offline bates

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 May 06 10:00 BST (UK) »
We are in drought here in Brisbane so I would love to hear the rain on the roof.  Perhaps you could redirect it our way!

well there are some VERY interesting things in that little snippet arent there!

interesting Sarah was a nurse

adeline - deaf and dumb - cant say i have heard of any deafness in the family (but that is interesting to observe)

any thoughts on who henry, fanny and george (of questionable gender) might belong to?

Thanks for all your help
tanya

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 22 May 06 10:17 BST (UK) »
I am guessing that Charles is not the eldest child, based on the grandchildren - they are not his!!

Here he is in 1841

1841 census

HO107/946/5/8/9

Charles TEMPLEMAN 22 - b'smith - Y

In the household on James ROBINS 50, wife Martha 45, son George 18 in West Chinnock

(Wild speculation: wonder if this is an aunt?  No relationships are stated in 1841)

Tell me if you want me to stop - this is turning into an instant family tree!!

;)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 22 May 06 10:21 BST (UK) »
Charles's little family in 1851

HO107/1928/482/42

Charles TEMPLEMAN H M 33 - blacksmith - Somerset East Chinnock
Mary Ann W M 25 - do West Chinnock
Charles son 2 - do Crewkerne
Treph.a dau 2 months - ditto

Address: East Street, Crewkerne, Somerset