Author Topic: Woodstock Ontario  (Read 6470 times)

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
Re: Woodstock Ontario
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 May 06 15:58 BST (UK) »

So i think he and mary must have left England together in early 1912.Its pretty unlikely he would have met someone from his home town once he was in Ontario .So back to passenger lists now but atleast i have two names to search for.

Hi again Chris,

The National Archives of Canada (NAC) holds immigration records from 1865 to 1935. 

Unfortunately the records of passenger lists to Canada before 1925 are not indexed. To
find a passenger you will need to know an exact date of arrival.

There is no easy way to search Canadian arrival records for this unindexed period other than reading microfilm

Ships are on the reel, in order of arrival. You can find the details at this URL

http://www.archives.ca/02/020202_e.html

If you want to order filmed passenger lists (remember they aren't indexed!), a  list of NAC microfilm numbers for
passenger lists to Canada 1865-1922 can be found at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/filmnos_can1865.shtml

If you want to try your luck searching transcribed ships passenger lists online,  passenger lists for Ships to Canada after 1865 are freely available at

http://olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/tocanp05.shtml

You can also try TheShipsList.com at http://www.theshipslist.com/  They have been indexing
arrivals from Newspapers and have many passenger lists online

Be forewarned though, only a small portion of these lists have been transcribed and put online.
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 May 06 20:12 BST (UK) »
EILLO   Thankyou for the web sites which i will check out . It will not be an easy search but i will keep trying.I've answered one set of questions but it opens up more!! i'm now curious to know whether his second wife stayed in canada after william died or came back to England.She was mid 40's when she got married so i don't think they would have had children!!?? I suppose i will have to wait for the 1920 canadian census to come on line to answer these questions.He had left three daughters behind in England so maybe the new wife didn't want to take them on. Its stange to think that if he had taken them my grandmother
would not have met my granddad and then neither my dad or myself would have been!!!! thanks again 4 your help  chris

Offline eillo

• RootsChat Senior
  • 2x G-Gma Sarah Page Simpso born Chilham Kent 1836
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 June 06 21:05 BST (UK) »
I suppose i will have to wait for the 1920 canadian census to come on line to answer these questions.

Hi Chris,

I'm afraid you will be waiting a long time... we had to fight to get our 1911 made public. I think it' s 92 years before the 1921 can be public (but others will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong) if at all! So that will be 2013 at the earliest. I'm not sure anymore what the legal outcome of Bill S-18, an act to amend the Statistics Act, is.
Simpson, Fuller, Page, Stead, Caspall, Philpott, Williams, Elvery, Whibley, Fryer/Friar, Sutton, Grant, Allard, Packman, Steadman, Norris, Drury, Boughton, Spratt, Munday, Rabbit, Wildbore

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 June 06 21:25 BST (UK) »
Well, 2013 isn't too far away, and I'm sure Mr. G. Watt and his team will do battle again  :)

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline cbhasin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 05 June 06 08:59 BST (UK) »
Dear Eillo and karen. Thanks for the info. When i started researching my family tree last year i thought in a few weeks i would befinished  because initially i found out so much information very quickly. But here i am 8 months later with still plenty of unanswered questions. So maybe 2013 will  not be  such a long wait after all.!!!!!! Chris