Author Topic: Maidenhead Schools  (Read 127069 times)

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maidenhead Schools
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 10:46 BST (UK) »
I can hardly keep up with all this.  I feel some of my family must have known some of the people you mention, it would be almost impossible not to.  Depends on dates of course.  Firstly, Lesanne mentioned her grandfather recalling the name Ayers.  What can he remember about them? (please edit if necessary!). Then Tyrrells Buildings was mentioned. Yes, it was regarded as very downmarket, but my family were there! I think the Tyrells name has been corrupted from Turrells but ever since they named the car park "Tyrrells" it has stuck.  My mother in law was a Hildreth from the bike shop (former blacksmith) in Market Street just nearby.  Back to Turrells.  Yes, the family referred to it as " The Barracks". PLEASE tell me where you got the story about the soldiers - my family told me it derived from an expression of contempt and some of then just didn't want to talk about it. Anyway, eventually they started building their own houses (Alwyn Road, Highfield Road, Pinkneys Road).  College Glen was mentioned?  My wife lived in Belmont Vale! Alwyn School - when my granddad retired he became caretaker there. My great uncle (born 1896) and great aunt were on the school roll for the very first day. That's enough for the moment!
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 11:53 BST (UK) »
hi Imber,
The Tyrells story came from a very helpful lady at M'head Library.  You're right it was pretty much a slum.  My Gx2 grandfather was William Harding and wife Emma Tuckwell and 4 children.  From there it was East Street which I don't think was a lot better.  Next time I have them is 1881 and they are at 24 Norfolk Park Cottages with a daughter, Alice aged 25, but not seen earlier.
have to check something - back in a minute.
Abiam

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Abiam,
I have a note of Thomas and Ann Harding Oct 20 1684 both of Brightwell...?
Why I have this with William and Elizabeth Cox Feb 10 1688, I must of found a link between Brightwell and Cookham?? via Appleford.

This is on a notepage headed, Bishops Transcripts Appleford and Cookham. 2004.
    :D Lesanne.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 12:16 BST (UK) »
Imber,

I just wondered whether I'd missed them in 1991 but no the ages were way out.  Back to your post.  I remember Hildreths very well.  Unfortunately a bike from there was out of the question!  You say about people knowing each other then  - I was born in College Glen I wonder would I know your wife?  Belmont Vale was just round the corner and Miss Goodayer had a shop on the corner opp. Maddelys barber shop and near to the butchers.  Must stop, could go on and on....

Regards Abiam

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 12:23 BST (UK) »
Lesanne,
I don't think I have any connection with Brightwell and all I have way back is james Harding born 1796 in Cookham and living at Moor Hall as a carpenter.
I'm afraid I have lots of those scraps of paper with notes that I can't even remember making!!!
Thanks anyway, Abiam

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Abiam

When I worked at Maidnhead Library (1960s!) I never saw anything like that in the local material.  There's more info and interest now, but it would take a lot to convince me that that story holds any water (although I would love it to be the case). One of the problems with Maidenhead history is that someone comes up with a hunch and next week it appears in a book as a fact!  They can't even get their act together on the town name. In fact anything before about 1600, or even later, is pretty suspect.  You don't know this library person's name by chance?  I still have friends working at the library and so I would love to chase this up. 

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Abiam2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 11 April 07 07:51 BST (UK) »
Imber,
I can't find the name of the person at the library but surely if you still know people there you could contact them?  I'd love to know more about it.  Whoever it was was very helpful and also helped me with information about 'Moor Hall' Cookham where my GG Grandfather lived, with his family, as a carpenter.
I'd love to know more about Belmont Vale?  I remember a family called Fisher and another called James or Janes.  Send me a PM if you like.
Regards,
Abiam

Offline ANYAS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 28 May 07 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Abiam, Imber, Lesanne + Everyone,

Not sure if I should be posting under this heading again but it is loosely connected to schools.

Abiam, you were asking for info about Garden Cottages I believe.  I've just had a birthday and my dear daughter bought me a very interesting book called Maidenhead Voices, a book of recollections covering the early 1900s through both World Wars.  Garden Cottages is referred to several times but one of the comments stood out - 'life was tough but so much community spirit'.  Send me a pm is you would like to have more info.

The book also has a section called School and Play and a number of schools are recalled, St. Paul's, East Street, Boyn Hill, St. Luke's, and many more. 

This is a really fascinating book, lots of photographs and for anyone interested in padding out their family history, its a real gem. This is beginning to sound like an advertisement - sorry.

Regards,

ANYAS

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 28 May 07 13:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Anyas,
Do you have the book number and author. I would very much like to buy it.
It sounds just up our street....   ;D
Lesanne
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner