Author Topic: Our Ancestors  (Read 40785 times)

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Our Ancestors
« on: Thursday 25 May 06 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone :)

I found this scroll among my Mum's papers after she died....I'm not sure where it came from but i felt very proud after reading it......her father John Doak served in the Royal Artillery during the second world war......he died on the 17th April 1942....... its just a pity i never got to meet him.....my sister told me that before he joined the Army he worked as a conductor on the trams in Belfast.........hope you all like it....if anyone has any photos.......stories about their ancestors i would love to hear about them.

regards

pentio.

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Emma Louisa Tricker (1885-1958)
    • View Profile
Re: Our Ancestors
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 06 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Pentio - Thank you for showing the scroll. I remember  we had a very similar one  at home after the war ( same heading) which I think was sent to all civilians who had come through the Blitz .I will look out some photos of those who have gone before and see what I can find.
Kind regards.......

Offline stevenson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Sarah Twig Jr in 1950
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 May 06 22:49 BST (UK) »
I've not found anything like that.............think I need to get in the attic again...before Saz gets there.

Have any of you tried " google earth " yet....I have had a lovely time traveling around Antrim on it...give it a try......you can even see the gravestones

My Robinson side of the family all the girlie's together...youngest at the back

<br /><br />Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 May 06 01:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve - Love the photo. Have just been through the biscuit tin  for my scroll but it must be somewhere else.

Remember how we spoke previously about Napoleon - I read the other day that Creme Brulee was given it's name by a famous chef - created for Napoleon to celebrate his defeat of the Austrian Army at Brulee in 1803 ! There should be an accent on one of those ' e's but I'm not clever enough for that.

Don't you just love all these little snippets ?  Kind regards....

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 May 06 01:13 BST (UK) »
Hi steve   Emmeline  :)

Love the photo of all the Robinson girls......any idea where it was taken?...re google earth yes i have used it fantastic......my sister sent me this photo of my gg...uncle George Ward .......he was Anne Elizabeth's brother and was born in Saint Helena in 1857.......i was thrilled when i saw it....... didn't expect to get another photo from that time.........it was sent to my sister from a chap who looks after the museum on the island which is dedicated to the Saint Helena Regiment......he was given the photo by the Ward family who still live on the island.......i think that would make them my sixth cousins.

Emmeline.....I love the bit about Napoleon you learn something new every day...must have a look for the photo of his grave.

regards

pentio.

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 May 06 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Pentio - How wonderful to have the photo. I live in hopes that I might find something further back than Gt.Grandma - hidden  in someone's loft perhaps.

Steve - I have been into Google Earth but must now take a look at Antrim and see what I can see.

Bye...........

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 May 06 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Emmeline

Yes its lovely to have another Ward photo especially the fact that he was Ann Elizabeth's brother and to think that this all started with one photo which we knew very little about.......its also so exciting to think we have a number of sixth cousins still living on the island....i had the pleasure of speaking to one of them back in December....a girl by the name of Lacosta McDaniel......she is the keeper of records for the island which comes in handy for research purposes......i think she was quite shocked and also pleasantly surprised when i called and told her who i was......she also asked me to keep in touch......makes all this family research worthwhile.

pentio.

Offline Emmeline

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 May 06 02:31 BST (UK) »
Who knows Pentio - There may still be photos of your ancestors on St.Helena - in one of those lofts I mentioned.
Thought you might like to see attached. W.H.J was my grandmother's brother. He was driving  a bus in Dec 1942 when he was killed - the bus received a direct hit during a raid.

Offline saz1401

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 May 06 09:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

I am loving all these old photos.

Its also the only way I get to see my family photos too! ;D

I now have a new scanner and once I figure out how it works I will be able to post a photo or two! Maybe even a few of my little sis ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

saz
antrim, donegore, ballycraigy, doagh, ballysavage,  carnmoney, ballyhenry, belfast, mallusk, hydepark names - twigg, gault, robinson, stevenson, todd, kirkpatrick, porter, mayne, topping, McDowell, douglas