Author Topic: Our Ancestors  (Read 40802 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Our Ancestors
« Reply #243 on: Thursday 29 June 06 19:16 BST (UK) »
Gadget

Is the dog looking for an escape route? :o :o :o

A wonderful photo, they certainly look like you wouldn't mess with them.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Thursday 29 June 06 19:23 BST (UK) »
Kerry, with a hand like that wrapped around you, I don't think you could get away.

Great picture Gadget.

Clara you look so sweet, I wish little girls still dressed like little girls now, it's such a shame. 

Here's one of my gr-gr-grandmother, Francis Heffernan and my grandmother and her brother.  They are in front of the house were I grew up as well, well, I lived in the house beside my grandmother, but spent every waking moment at her house, she made the best poached eggs LOL  The trees are gone now, my sister still lives in the house beside it.

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Thursday 29 June 06 19:26 BST (UK) »
That's amazing Karen to still have connections with a home over so many years.  My family all seem to have been fairly nomadic.  They had mostly moved house between each census.

Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Thursday 29 June 06 19:28 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

You're all so lucky to have so many lovely old family photos !

:D :D :D
BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Thursday 29 June 06 19:40 BST (UK) »
Ditto Mobo, I'm feeling very jealous!!!

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Thursday 29 June 06 19:46 BST (UK) »
So who's that handsome young chap that's pushed out your old couple, Kerry?

Kerry, it is you. I can't take all this change - you and Clara. I might have to change my poppy.

Gadget

Oh Isee it's granddad
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Thursday 29 June 06 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thought it was time for a change and that picture reminds me never to make assumptions about someone based on other people's opinions.

In other words my mum and my granddad never got on, he was a bit of an old moaner but hey he was old.  Therefore we never really got the chance to know him. 

My brother regrets that because he is now obsessed (not sure if that is the right word) with WW2, has an army truck and gun carriage and goes to Belgium and France on DDay etc.  At Granddads funeral we discovered all this really interesting stuff about his army record that my brother wishes he known about while he was alive.  He died in 1995.

When I see this photo I see a very different person to the old man I knew.  And yes he was handsome.

Kerry

Offline pentio

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Thursday 29 June 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
Gadget

I suppose it was a rather posh wedding when you think how long ago it was ......it was this one photo that stirred my interest in all of this.

love the photo of Alexander and his wife........looks like a no nonsence sort of man.

Karen

what a lovely photo of your gr..gr.. grandmother and children..... its nice that your sister still lives in the house beside it....must bring back fond memories when you visit......wish our wee house was still there.

pentio.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Thursday 29 June 06 22:49 BST (UK) »
Pentio

Thanks, it's kindof bitter sweet when I go to my sister's, the house was recently sold again and they were doing renovations and found some very old coins in the wall, we I'm 99% positive they would have been my families since they had the house since 1895.  But, it's also hard going home to, cause I see what she has done with my own room, and I just cringe  ;D  My poor dad and all the work he put into the landscaping and her dogs just destroy it  ::)

This is my gr-gr-gr grandmother Anna Maria Reinhart who was born in German c1823.  She died in October 1893.

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!