Author Topic: Looking for Hampshire Gates  (Read 5412 times)

Offline Blunny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for Hampshire Gates
« on: Thursday 25 May 06 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,
Looking for the parents of my 2xgt gp Elizabeth Gates,
b.07-02-1808 in Holybourne, her parents are what I really need, I have no idea on them. Elizabeth married Thomas Arnold on 28 Apr 1831 at Holybourne. Thomas's parents & G/parents  & Gt G Parents lived in Bentley. but he was born in Holybourne.
If any one could help I would be very grateful, as it is difficult to get to Hampshire from Omagh. Although if I had done F.H. in my earlier days it would have been easy as stationed in Middle Wallop.
Many thanks for the interest in reading my story, and for any help offered
Peter
Battle - Blunham, Bedfordshire.
Baker - Kingsley, Headley, East Wellow, Tuxlith, Hampshire &  Croydon, Surrey.
Arnold - Holybourne, Hants.
Gates - Holybourne, Hants
Davies - Croydon & Hackney
Kearns - Co Tyrone, N. Ireland (also Cearns)
Magill - Co Donegal, Ireland
Whitmarsh - East Wellow, Hampshire

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Hampshire Gates
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 May 06 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Blunny,

Since you have given a precise date of birth, I presume you have seen the IGI records?

Elizabeth Gates baptised 7 Feb 1808 Holybourne, parents John and Sarah.

She would appear to be the ony child baptised in Holybourrne to these parents.

For some reason this seems familiar - is anyone else out there searching for this information too?   ???  I've searched but can't find the thread if this is so.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Blunny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 May 06 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell,
Many thanks for the info. I was hoping to get a link to info to find details of the parents and if possible siblings. Some where  I thought I had a sense of siblings, but it was long ago, much water has passed from those days. The grey matter is like the rest of me, getting faster the further downhill you go.
You sensed you had heard this before, maybe I had put it in wih another post on another board (Sussex)?? eh! In the days when I could'n make up my mind on a John or a Moses Baker.
Again many thanks  & if you trip over info on The Arnolds & Bakers & Gates from Holybourne you know where to land.
Best wishes Peter

Offline auntiec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 August 06 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Blunny,

Had any of your Gates ancestors ever served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers Reserve Regiment, the North Irish Horse or 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars, between 1900 - 1940 ?
My Gates Ancestors came from Alton, I,ve still got a cousin living in Holybourne.
I'm sending this message via a relative as I'm not 'on the net'. If any of these 'Gates'  are of interest to you, could you contact me
Mr. Ken  Don.
                                        Thank You.

Offline Blunny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 August 06 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Auntiec,

I think this message is for Mr. Ken Don. could you please pass it on, thank you.

Very many thanks for your reply. What info I have on the Gates family is listed:
           John Gates bc 1780 Holybourne,
wife,  Sarah  ??     bc 1785
dau.   Elizabeth bap 07/04/1809 Holybourne
married Thomas Arnold on 28/04/1822, Holybourne.

Thomas & Elizabeth are my 2 x great grand parents on my maternal side.
As you can see only a little info on the Gates, was there any other Gates families in Holybourne area? There is a distinct possibility that  we could be related. I have the main families from Elizabeth & Thomas to present time. 
As for Gates relations you mentioned in the army, I don't know of any yet. Any info you can give me would be very welcome, that was the reason for this post.

Kind regards Peter Davies.

Offline auntiec

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 September 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
Info. for Peter Davies from Mr. Ken Don.  (via auntiec).

Firstly I've got the date 28/04/1831 for the marriage of Thomas and Elizabeth.
John Gates his wife Jane Knight both buried in Holybourne-john died 17/04/1914 aged 80, jane died 21/06/1927 aged 92.
Their children were- Hanna,Mary,William,Jane,Sarah and Charles.

A couple of Baptisms;  21 oct 1787-Anne dau of Sarah Gates.
                                   20 dec 1801-James son of Charles/Sarah
                                   20 may 1804 Anne dau of John/Anne
                                   26 Aug 1804-William son of Charles/Sarah
                                   7 feb 1808-Elizabeth dau of John/Sarah
Marriages;
                         8th june 1839- Harry Clement=Mary Gates dau of Charles Gates.
                         7th Aug 1841-Thomas Arlett=Eliza Gates dau of John Gates.(buried 14th dec 1817, Sarah aged 37).

That John Gates was a Husbandsman/Smallholder it seems. My Gran, Edith Florence Chant (nee Gates), was the daughter of George Gates and Charlotte Ham. George was the son of Thomas and Martha Gates. (Thomas found the head of Fanny Adams).
We lived in Orchard Lane which was Alton Eastbrook or Neatham as it was sometimes called, less than a mile from Holybourne.
Alot of Gates' worked for the Spicer Paper Mill just at the bottom of the lane the Mills closed down and re-located to kent at the beginning of the 20th Century. In fact, when I was stationed at Dover in 1958, Gran asked me to look up some relatives who lived there.
Gates' were known in Alton a long way back, during the English Civil War, the Crown Hotel was owned by a William Gates, it was captured by Cromwell's forces under General Waller and used as a base for the seige of St. Lawrences Church just a few hundred yards away, where Colonel Boles made his last stand.
The hotel also housed French Prisoners of War during the Napoleonic Wars and is reputed to be haunted by the ghost of a large black dog. In fact, in the 1960's during renovation, the skeleton of a dog was found bricked up behind a fireplace, it was about 200 years old!
There was also a lot of Gates who were Quakers, round about the 17th Century. One Nicholas Gates, a Master Builder, built the Friends Meeting House.
A Gates is supposed to have charged with the Light Brigade in the Crimean War. So far I know a William Gates who was a Trumpeter in the 8th Hussars, later the Kings Royal Irish Hussars, but didn't embark for the Crimean with the Light Brigade. He could of course have gone out in another capacity or as a reinforcement. We did have Crimean War Medals in my Gran's possessions, and she used a Russian Triangular bayonet as a poker for the fire!
A John Gates also built a couple of cottages called Alma and Inkerman, after the war.
The Military connection, the badge of the Royal Irish Fusiliers Reserve Regt. from what I know, it was a sort of Home Guard Unit, so hardly likely to be stationed in our area. Although I think it could have been an Officers badge or senior N.C.O., so possibly the owner could have gone to Aldershot or something. All the badges that Gran had were connected to the Gates family, a custom she carried on when I and my brothers joined the Army. I can put a tentative name to the English and Scottish ones but the Irish ones are a mystery. When I 'passed ot' in 1957, I went home in uniform and I went to The Barley Mow, another  pub once owned by the Gates family,and an old couple in the bar started to chat , and they remembered the Gates family at the start of the first war. They said that there were 11 of them in uniform but only one came back.
There are only two Gates on the War Memorial, but if the rest weren't Altonians they probably wouldn't be. A lot of them they said, had come back from India, which fits as a division was being formed in Aldershot.Amongst them was Adolphus Daniel (Jack) Gates of the 13th Hussars, later in the 11th The Kings Royal Irish Hussars was another of these returning Regts. whose badges were in our family collection. Gates, Chants, Woods and Chandlers are the names I associate with the badges.
I have got more on Gates, some parisH registers etc. if you could write to me, I could get some photocopied and send them to you.
all the best.
                         Ken Don.
13 Tywyn Isaf
Prestatyn
Denbighshire
North Wales
LL19 7RJ.

Offline Annie2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 June 07 13:43 BST (UK) »
hello
I am researching my husband's family history.  His 2x great grandmother (his mum's mum's dad's mum) was Eliza Arnold, daughter of Thomas Arnold and Elizabeth Gates.  So it looks like he is related to Blunny and Peter Davies.

Eliza is a bit elusive as she seems to be in service in the 1851 and 1861 censuses, but is with the family in 1841.
I have got as far as I can research from the net, so it looks like a trip to Winchester to the register office and will keep you posted.

Best wishes Annie2 

Offline chrissyalone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 June 18 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to site but have been tracing for years. I am directly related to Arnold of H/B and Gates. My grandfather wed Annie Elizabeth Gates and he was James Arnold born in 1863 died in 1932 in Midhurst. Because my mother lived  to nearly 106 and was very lucid she remembered a lot. I now live in Ireland (co Limerick) We are possibly related.
chrissy Arnold
mitchelstown
Ballysteen
Askeaton
Co Limerick

Offline janeh

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 17 June 18 03:02 BST (UK) »
Do not forget that qite a lot of the paper-making Gates attended the Independent Chapel in Normandy Street as did their employers - the Spicers. Many then went to Kent.
You might also be interested that:
17 February 1872 - Petty Sessions.  Harriet Gates of Holybourne assaulted Jane Stacey. (Hampshire Chronicle)
Yours Jane