Author Topic: Looking for Hampshire Gates  (Read 5413 times)

Offline chrissyalone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Hampshire Gates
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 June 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

thanks for that little gem. Much apprmeciated.

I am concentrating on the Arnold side for the moment as I knew nothing about my fathers family. Mum told me he was put up for adoption and sent to Canada. Brought back at 11yrs of age to be adopted at the same time as the marriage of Annie Eliz Gates to Jim's Arnolds brother who wanted no children but compromised on an 11yr old. He waited until halfway through the ceremony to declare he couldn't go through with it, whereupon his brother Jim stood forward saying "I'll give the boy a name" saving the honour of a single woman and a child now brought back from Canada to prospective parents. Cannot find anything that supports this tale so can only assume this is a cover up story of some sort. Will have to start sending for certs I think! Having said that, there does appear to be a gap between groups of children and dad only had a "short birth cert". Perhaps Jim was widowed and Annie took on his and he took on hers?!! I won't know until I apply for certs.

chrissy

Offline Philldw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Hampshire Gates
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 13 September 22 10:55 BST (UK) »
My mother in law was Margaret Doreen Gates 1931-2006. Married Denis Alfred Sapsed 1932-2006.
I have a tree on Ancestry but these are the key parts.
Her father was William Frederick Gates 1899-1973 Wife Daisy K Aslett 1903-1985
Then William John Gates 1872-1916 Wife Phoebe D Binstead 1873-1950
 Then Benjamin Gates 1847-1929  Wife Fanny Vidler 1851-1907
Then John Gates 1821-1868. Wife Anne Arnold 1820-1889
His mother was "Lucy"...?
Hope this helps David