Author Topic: Wellington/Willington was Newport - now Westbury on Trym  (Read 4353 times)

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Found them! Found them! I wish!
    • View Profile
Wellington/Willington was Newport - now Westbury on Trym
« on: Thursday 21 October 04 18:29 BST (UK) »
Any information on Thomas Wellington/Willington and his parents Stephen Willington and Esther Andrews (date of marriage unknown) would be appreciated.  His marriage certificate here in Australia lists his birth place as Newport which I believe is near Berkley but have been unable to find a record of his birth probably around 1837 or any siblings.

:) :)A kind Rootschatter Frances has now given me information that the family is from Westbury on Trym so the listing has now been amended.  Sorry for any confusion :-[
Juddee
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
Re: Wellington/Willington of Newporrt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 October 04 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Juddee,

This looks like a good possibility for your Thomas. There are possible siblings for this person. Should you want them just let me know. Kind Regards, Frances

WELLINGTON, Thomas Andrew Christening
 Christening Date: 7 Jan 1838 Recorded in: Westbury on Trym,
Gloucestershire, England
 Father: Stephen WELLINGTON
 Mother: Esther
Source: FHL Film 1595527 Dates: 1813 - 1888

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Frances
I'd  say the information was not only a good possibility you have hit the nail on the head :D   I believe all the details are right and would very much appreciate any information on  possible siblings without putting you to too much trouble.  On the marriage certificate Thomas' father is listed as Willington and Thomas as Wellington.  As with a lot of names they were written as they sounded.  He married Mary White from Liverpool in 1857 and one of their children was christened Edward Nelson Horatio Wellington. Thomas a storekeeper went on to become an undertaker burying most of my family ancestors in Ballarat Vic.
Regards  Juddee :) :)
Living in the land of Oz<br />Berkshire TASKER<br />Cambridgeshire BLANKS HAYDEN, STEWART<br />Durham GRAY LAVERICK UNTHANK<br />Gloustershire ANDREWS WILLINGTON<br />Hertfordshire HALES HAYDEN<br />Lancashire WHITE HARTNET<br />Oxfordshire EATON TASKER<br />Somerset  DAINTY GERRETT MURRAY SLADE<br />Wiltshire BARTLETT GERRETT<br /> Galway HICKEY LEWIS <br />Germany HARTMANN SCHUEMACHER<br />

Offline Frances

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry & Alexandra Burr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Judee,

Here they are, you mentioned the different way names are transcribed. I think this may be what has happened here with Esther becoming Hester. Like all of us we have met these things before. On the 1901 census my Burr family I eventually found  transcribed as Bush!!

All the best, Frances

PS I have just noticed two Sarah  Anne's I wonder if the first one died? I will try and look it up for you.

WILLINGTON, Stephen   Christening
   Christening Date:   29 Jun 1828   Recorded in:   Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England
   Father:   Stephen WILLINGTON
   Mother:   Esther
Source:   FHL Film 1595527   Dates:   1813 - 1888   

WILLINGTON, Mary Andrews   Christening
   Christening Date:   3 Jan 1830   Recorded in:   Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England
   Mother:   Hester

WILLINGTON, Esther   Christening
   Christening Date:   20 Aug 1831   Recorded in:   Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England
   Mother:   Esther

WILLINGTON, William Andrus   Christening
   Christening Date:   7 Nov 1833   Recorded in:   Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England

WILLINGTON, Elizabeth Russell   Christening
   Christening Date:   23 Nov 1834   Recorded in:   Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England

WELLINGTON, Sarah Anne   Christening
   Christening Date:   27 May 1836   Recorded in:   Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England
   Father:   Stephen WELLINGTON

WILLINGTON, Sarah Ann   Christening
   Christening Date:   30 Dec 1838   Recorded in:   Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England

WILLINGTON, Sophia   Christening
   Christening Date:   26 Jul 1840   Recorded in:   Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England
Source:   FHL Film 1595528   Dates:   1813 - 1888   

WILLINGTON, Nelson   Christening
   Christening Date:   5 Jun 1842   Recorded in:   Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire, England
Source:   FHL Film 1595528   Dates:   1813 - 1888   

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

-------------------------------------------------- 
Hope/Buckinghamshire    Palmer Cambridge
Hope/Camberwell            Palmer Essex  
Bolton/Camberwell           Emery Potton Bedfordshire
DeBoo/ Poplar/Anywhere           
Oliver /Chatteris, Cambs.   
Redkison/ Anywhere          
Carter Bedfordshire
Bernard/Stepney
Lawrence/Colchester Essex 
Carter/ Leytonstone
Bones/ Essex
Tullett/ Surrey/Essex

Offline juddee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hello again Frances
Thank you so much for the valuable information you passed onto me.  Very much appreciated and has certainly filled in the blanks. I now know where the family names of Sophia and Nelson came from, Sophia being the name of my great grandmother. I have been unable to find anything on the IGI search site concerning the family so I think the records may have not been transcribed yet.  I am in agreement with you that the first Sarah died as I have come across a few such listings on my Laverick and Gerrett lines.
Thank you once again Frances it was so good of you to give of your time to help me.
Regards Juddee :) :)