Author Topic: Edward Henry Collingworth, Death C. 1872  (Read 23311 times)

Offline Daniel Collingwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: EDWARD HENRY COLLINGWOOD, DEATH C. 1872
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 April 13 23:54 BST (UK) »
HOW DID MY G-G-GRANDPA DIE....does anyone know? It is reported he drowned at sea, but i have no strong evidence of this. Members of my family that could have known are long gone, yet no one in my family seemed the least interested in our past, a shame.

Edward Henry's son
Alfred Daniel Collingwood-1st. 1849 - least known of our family, he was too young for the Crimean war and a bit past it for the Boer War..and definitely on his uppers by the First WW. He did his national service and worked the East India Docks and was the first of the Collingwoods to become a stevedore. It was thought he got a souvenir from the 'Buffalo Bill Wild West Show' when it came to London in 1887 to coincide with Victoria's Jubilee, an Apache arrow in a sheaf, yes you've guessed made by Sitting Bull himself ? (probably massed produced), but my grand dad had it hanging above 'THE THIN RED LINE' with some other artifacts from the Zulu Wars. It is known that he also tried his hand at 'going to sea'...he died around 1921.

These old Collingwoods, they loved the sea. Myself, i hate the sea ever since i swam on top of the water from an attacking Great White off Barbados. I swear i was on top of the water going faster than i could run, screaming , only to be told by the larfing spectators s that the 'shark' was a large cluster of seaweed carried by the fast current.

Alfred Daniel Collingwood-2nd.  1879- 1949. Was apprenticed blacksmith at 14, for the East India Company 'yards. Was active in the Boer War S.Africa campaign. "The Thin Red Line" adorned his passage hallway, which i saw and still remember as 5year old kid just before he died in 1949. This painting was his pride and joy as he was one of them. He tried his hand as one of the very first train drivers along the newly built lines that separated the West India Docks from the Poplar High Street access. Why he gave this up, i'll never know because he took up his father's 'ticket' and worked as a stevedore. He was never in any one job for long and tried his hand at many trades within the dock industry even going to sea a few times. Lived at various addresses in Poplar, Cawdor St, Ellerthorpe St, Abbott Rd, Dee St, Aberfeldy St and died at Alton St.
My father lived with my mum at Aberfeldy St as newly weds, when it was destroyed by German bombing in 1940. My dad was at sea and mum was in an air-raid shelter with my sister. My mum got a telegram from the Admiralty "Alfred Daniel Collingwood -missing presumed dead" while it was delivered as she rummaged through what was left of her belongings in the debris. It was some weeks before she was 'told' that he was rescued at sea by an American destroyer and taken to Baltimore. All British servicemen (by order of the Admiralty) rescued and taken back to the States, had to carry on with the war effort until they could be brought home. So dad had to get busy working building the Liberty Ships. He was in the States for the duration and drove yellow cabs and learnt to be a chef. He finally came back home working as 2nd Cook on a Merchantman at the end of the war.

My Father
Alfred Daniel Collingwood-3rd.  1913- 1965
Well, my own father died very young at 52yrs, he was a Stevedore in the Royal Albert Docks from 1947 - 1955.
He never spoke much of his ancestors and i guess, i know more about them than he did. He did his army national service in 1931 and volunteered for the Merchant Navy when war broke out in 1939. He served on three Merchant ships of which the last HMS Sphinx was bombed by German Stukas off Caithness, N.Atlantic. He was among the survivors.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 20:52 BST (UK) »
http://www.rebus.demon.co.uk/tableaus/jcoll_t.htm

John Collingwood; ropemaker.
He married 28 Feb 1802 at St. Anne, Limehouse, MDX Elizabeth Marshall.
  Children:   1804:   John Collingwood [2.1]
1806:   Mary Collingwood [2.2]
1809:   George Edward Collingwood [2.3]
1815:   James William Collingwood [2.4]
1817:   Edward Henry Collingwood [2.5]

Generation II

2.1      John Collingwood; born 1 June 1804 at Poplar, MDX, shoe maker, died 1864 at Poplar, MDX.
He married (1) 27 Nov 1842 at Bow, MDX Ann Warren, born about 1803 at Steeple Bumpstead, ESS, died about Dec 1876 at Poplar, MDX.
  Children:   1834:   John Henry Collingwood [3.1]
He married (2) 4 Sep 1831 at St. Anne, Limehouse, MDX Sarah Maria Whitehouse.

2.2      Mary Collingwood; born 14 Sep 1806, christened at St. Dunstan, Stepney, MDX.

2.3      George Edward Collingwood; born 3 Jan 1809 at Poplar, MDX.
He married before 1838 Maria Stevens.
  Children:   1838:   Frances Eleanor Collingwood [3.2]

2.4      James William Collingwood; born 18 Jan 1815, christened at St. Anne, Limehouse, MDX.

2.5      Edward Henry Collingwood; born 5 July 1817, christened at St. Anne, Limehouse, MDX.
He married 3 March 1840 at Poplar, MDX Ann Merritt.
  Children:   1842:   Edward Robert Collingwood [3.3]
1843:   Frederick Henry Collingwood [3.4]
1846:   Alfred Daniel Collingwood [3.5]
1849:   Sarah Ann Collingwood [3.6]
1853:   James Thomas Collingwood [3.7]

http://www.rebus.demon.co.uk/datasets/collingw.htm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
EDWARD HENRY COLLINGWOOD,CREW LIST DHARWAR
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 00:40 BST (UK) »
I have located the crew list of the DHARWAR -1878.

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1878/05/032dha.htm

She left London for Sydney 14th May 1878. It is not certain if the DHARWAR participated in the tea trade to Hong Kong and Shanghai. BUT she pulled into Hong Kong to bury my dear old great-great-grand-dad-Edward Henry.Around 1875-77 tea clippers turned to the 'wool fleets' and carried both cargoes to fill up their holds. The Dharwar was one of the 'Iron Clads' fully rigged for sail and engines she was quite fast. She was luxuriously decked out and Edward Henry is fourth rated among the ships crew as carpenter/shipwright, and very well paid. So far i have been unable to ascertain his exact cause of death. Maybe someone out their knows? Did he drown by falling overboard or some other kind of accident?

http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Ships/Merchant/Sail/D/Dharwar(1864).html

Built in 1864, she was fulled rigged, iron body sail/engine. Constructed for the Australian emmigrant and wool trade. Provisions were also made for the transportation of convicts.

nb..Edward's age on the crew list is given as 58 but this may be Edward telling porkies as he was 61 in 1878...and the oldest crew member by 16yrs. I don't think he wanted to retire back home in dreary Poplar. Australia was the 'new' New Adventure but maybe he was getting to the age where his life became an indecision. Australia and the gold rush was underway...Edward was losing his sea legs?

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 14:58 BST (UK) »
E H Collingwood age 58 !!! died on 24th Oct 1878 of fever in a hospital in Hong Kong.
You can find out more by looking at Maritime BMD details on Find My Past.
You may even be able to order a death cert?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol, I always thought he didn't die of drowning as has been suggested. There has always been this discrepancy over his age. Born 5th July1817, christened 5th Aug 1817. So really he was 61yrs and 3 months old.
I think he was getting to retirement age and his kind of work at sea was fairly dangerous, whereby he could find it difficult to keep getting accepted on board these long haul trips, so he probably knocked a few years off and most likely forgot how old he was, lol.
He was a notoriously good shipwright and his last captain, Thomas Freebody could have turned a blind eye.
Daniel.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 May 13 18:06 BST (UK) »
Did Edward Henry Collingwood plan to live in Australia? Some evidence is becoming available that his son Edward Robert, b. 1842 may have indeed emigrated to Melbourne after 1861. I am currently trying to find out the truth of E.R.
He was  carpenter's mate to his dad E.H. on the ship Camperdown, 1859 travelling to Sydney. Maybe this was a 'feeler' to see if Australia was worth moving to. Old man Edward may have spent time there but he always came home to his family roots. If young Robert, did in fact move to Australia could Old Henry have been on a 'working' visit to his son via Hong Kong,1878 on the Dharwar, where he died in a hospital there from fever (pneumonia)?
Some posters on roots-chat have found evidence for an Edward Collingwood that died in 1896, father also called EDWARD. And some refs to an Edward Collingwood travelling between Melbourne and Sydney in April 1874 as a steerage passenger on the Dandelong steamer....needs some more research?
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1874/04/063dan.htm
As it appears that Old Henry's son Edward Robert went missing, i'd like to put it out to researchers who may already know what happened to my great-grand uncle? He was born 101 years before i was born, which i find fascinating.
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/results.htm?cx=004861337844262330206%3Ayq_2tgjydtg&cof=FORID%3A11&q=dandenong-april+1874&sa=Search&siteurl=mariners.records.nsw.gov.au%2Fsearch.htm&ref=www.GenesReunited.co.uk%2Fboards%2Fboard%2Ftrying_to_find%2Fthread%2F1096458&ss=18411j31711437j20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Edward Henry Collingwood - Margaret Collingwood
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 23:05 BST (UK) »
http://www.rebus.demon.co.uk/datasets/collingw.htm

25 Apr 1698   M    John COLLINGWOOD husb of Mary BARKER   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX    TPR    G: mariner of Wapping; B: widow

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t17480526-18-person216&div=t17480526-18#highlight
Margarett Collingwood- resided at Queen Anne Alley, which was a small Court leading off Farthing Fields. Highly probable that this is the mother of John (Edward?)the Sawyer, b 1737 and apprenticed (about 1750, 7yrs)

19 Aug 1731   C    John COLLINGWOOD son of John & Margaret St George in the East MDX    TPR    age 3 days, father a mariner of Farth[ing?] Fields [LMA Source Ref: X024/123]

04 Jan 1737   C    John COLLINGWOOD son of John & Margaret.   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX    TPR    1736/37 age 28 days, father an upholsterer of Rat[cliffe?] [LMA Source Ref: X024/016]
Upholsterers were usually master tradesmen skilled in all aspects of of ship's fittings and were often skilled as shipwrights, ropemakers, sailmakers, etc. These skills were often required before a mariner could manage a ship as 'Master' or Master Mariner.

16 Dec 1757   APPR    John COLLINGWOOD   Woolwich Yard KEN    TNA    Foreman's apprentice to John Puckley of Woolwich yard; duty 9s paid @ 6d on £18/-/- on 24 Dec 1757 [IR 1/21 folio 115]
28 Oct 1764   M    Edward COLLINGWOOD husb of Elizabeth POINTER   Limehouse, St. Anne MDX    PR    G: b [X]; B: s, [X]; botp, by banns; W: Charles Roth, Thomas Outerloney

15 Jan 1773   C    John COLLINGWOOD son of Edward & Elizth.   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX    PR    age 2 days, father a sawyer of Poplar
01 Aug 1773   B    John COLLINGWOOD   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX    PR    of Poplar, buried at Ratcliffe? infant aged 9months?

17 Jul 1774   C    Elizabeth Mary COLLINGWOOD dau of Edward & Elizabeth   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX    PR    age 28 days, father a sawyer of Poplar

18 Aug 1776   C    John Edward COLLINGWOOD son of John Edward & Elizth.   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX    PR    age 13 days, father a sawyer of Poplar
(John Edward the Ropemaker 1776 - 1821 age 45yrs)

01 Jul 1804   C    John COLLINGWOOD son of John & Elizabeth   Stepney, St Dunstan MDX        born 1 Jun 1804, father a ropemaker of Poplar

01 Oct 1806   C    Mary COLLINGWOOD dau of John & Elizabeth   Stepney, Saint Dunstan MDX    IGI    Batch C055761

05 Mar 1809   C    George Edward COLLINGWOOD son of John & Elizabeth   Stepney, St. Dunstan MDX    PR    born 3 Jan 1809, father a ropemaker of Poplar

12 Feb 1815   C    James William COLLINGWOOD son of John Edward & Elizabeth   Limehouse, St. Anne MDX    PR    born 18 Jan 1815, father a ropemaker of Limehouse

05 Aug 1817   C    EDWARD HENRY COLLINGWOOD son of John Edward & Elizabeth   Limehouse, St. Anne MDX    PR    born 5 Jul 1817, father a ropemaker of Limehouse

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1859/02/007cam.htm

open 'scan' to view the original document....the transcribed version omits Edward Henry's given names, while his son Robert Edward is shown as 'H' . Expanding will enable better inspection.

1859: Edward Henry AND son Robert Henry sail on the Camperdown to Austrailia as carpenter and mate.

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 16 June 13 18:09 BST (UK) »
Edward Henry's last voyage was on the Dharwar where he was taken ill and died of 'fever' in Hong Kong Oct 1878. From the dates he was probably taken ill on his journey back from Sydney where the Dharwar had loaded with bales of wool (for balast in the lower belly of the ship having disembarked passengers). Then at Hong Kong for tea which would be stowed mid-decks.

http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1878/05/032dha.htm

This old account of the Dharwar including a beautiful real picture, from the biography of William Inkster- shipwright who made HIS last sea journey on the Dharwar 1888-89, saving the ship from severe storm damage. These stories are a rare insight into the bravery of the seaman of the sea clippers.

scroll down as you read, to see the Dharwar..a fantastic clipper in full sail...
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Hbdb7hWldBkC&pg=PA11&lpg=PA11&dq=sister+ship+of+the+dharwar&source=bl&ots=GC_VzcQn1J&sig=EV0ozKaiZHsopebPLEe2g9I3neU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=xuO8UZ_iCKil0QWnioGIDw&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=sister%20ship%20of%20the%20dharwar&f=false

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 June 13 00:15 BST (UK) »
Edward Henry had an Uncle, reputedly a cousin of John the Ropemaker his dad, 1776-1821

ie 'Frankie' Collingwood ????

The man who shot the man, that Killed Lord Nelson at Trafalgar ???? We are trying to find out !

Robert Southey in his Life of Nelson (pub 1813) credited both John Pollard and Midshipman Francis Edward Collingwood as being the 'avenger of Nelson'. However in a letter to The Times 13 May 1863, John Pollard wrote

'It is true my old shipmate Collingwood who has now been dead some years came up on the poop for a short time. I had discovered the men crouching in the top of the Redoutable and pointed them out to him, when he took up his musket and fired once; he then left the poop, I conclude, to return to his station on the quarter deck… read more

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&sqi=2&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rmg.co.uk%2Fexplore%2Fsea-and-ships%2Ffacts%2Ffaqs%2Fwho-shot-the-man-who-shot-lord-nelson&ei=K32JUdDmHMb40gXHjoGQDQ&usg=AFQjCNF2dDvSkz8dNNbxur2vwoqct4KxpA&sig2=Z0ZZ2Uc1tw0Ph_EmN1r3yQ