Author Topic: Dumple Street  (Read 46510 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Dumple Street
« on: Friday 26 May 06 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi! My family came from Dumple Street (Chatwin's Yard), Scarborough. I'd love to get some information about the houses, or the area. Does anyone know of any photographs, either online, or in books etc, that would give me an idea of what the town was like in the 1850s or thereabouts?
Thanks for any help.
Lesley

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dumple Street
« Reply #1 on: Friday 26 May 06 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley,

Try this just for the time being-

http://www.history.scarborough.co.uk/

I only say this because there is something on our very own moderators site about Dumple Street, hoping Ticker will spot this and help out?   ;)

Have you tried googling Scarborough and
Dumple Street? There are one or two things there
which may be of some use.

Best wishes,
Pels

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 May 06 12:18 BST (UK) »
Its your lucky day!. My family also lived there from around the 1850s onwards to about 1920. I have a picture that ill post soon.

cheers

will
Marshall, Hopkins, Marlow, Frank, Burns, Doy, Haggerstone, Frankland, Bulmer, Hoggard, Baker, Chapman, Walker, Stonehouse.

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 May 06 12:25 BST (UK) »
This is Picture taken of the street in the late 1890s. The street was mainly for those working around the fleet of ships in scarborough. My great great great grandfather ands his sons were marine store dealers on this street although there was also a butchers and a dealer of rabbit skins apparently working here. The street was demolished in the ealry thirties but i dont really know why?
Marshall, Hopkins, Marlow, Frank, Burns, Doy, Haggerstone, Frankland, Bulmer, Hoggard, Baker, Chapman, Walker, Stonehouse.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 May 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
Definitely my lucky day!

This is nothing like I imagined. The family moved to Hull - I have a picture of the street they lived in there - the houses were very tiny and looking onto a back alley.  These houses look quite grand by comparison. I wonder if the fact their address says Chatwyn's Yard, Dumple St, means they lived in a back alley off the main street?

Yes, the family were involved with the marine industry - my great-grandfather was a ship's carpenter.

My mother (nearly 90 now, and still missing Yorkshire - which I've never seen) will love this picture. Thank you so much.

Lesley

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 May 06 17:01 BST (UK) »
I can kind of imagine where this picture is as it looks towards the castle on the headland but i suppose we need a map to clarify the exact position of the street and maybe chatwyns yard.
 Its quite possible I was thinking that our ancestors worked together or were even in competition with one another, Im sure they would have know of each other in such a close knit community.

happy to help with the picture so no worries

cheers

Will

Offline Essex export

• RootsChat Member
  • My first bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 May 06 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I think the picture shows why Dumple Street was demolished. It is far too narrow for modern traffic.

Whitby has similar streets and the 'yards' are all footways/passageways leading off the street. All large items have to be carried up alley ways as there is usually no way of getting a vehicle to them.

Regards
Andy
Ketch, Catch - Warwickshire.
Elliott, Dawson, Armstrong, Rigg, Wass, Gargett, Wilson - Durham.
Fishburn - Durham & N. Yorks
Gibson - Whitby, N. Yorks
Kellett - Yorkshire
Eaton, Horner, Gisby, Cotgrove, Emery - Leigh, Essex
Eaton, Horner, - Australia

Census information is Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 June 06 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

Sorry I've only just noticed your post.

My ancestors lived on Dumple Street too.  In 1871 James and Sarah Tymon were at number 30 Dumple Street.

The street does still exist though it is now called Friargate and the buildings shown on Will's picture are gone.

See http://www.rootschat.com/links/0iq/

The name Dumple Street is thought to have derived from the "dimple" or dip in the middle of the street which carried one of the town's main drains.

On Will's picture you can just see at the extreme left a wall which is still there - it is part of the Scarborough Market Building.  The next shop on the left where you can see the letters "apman" was Chapman's Grocers.

Incidentally I think the picture is a lot later than the 1890s but I might be wrong.

Lesley and Will - what were the names of your ancestors that lived on Dumple Street?  It would be nice to see if all three of our ancestors families were there at the same time - possibly next door neighbours!

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 June 06 13:47 BST (UK) »
Pictured today (literally!).

You can see the same wall of the Market on the left.

PS - Yes the sky is always blue in Scarborough!  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk