Author Topic: Dumple Street  (Read 46475 times)

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Dumple Street
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 04 June 06 21:05 BST (UK) »
Fantastic picture Will!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 04 June 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
I think a lot of us will envy you having such a brilliant photo of your ancestors.

I notice several of your ancestors were jet workers. Jane's first husband, my ggg-grandfather was a jet worker, and I've often wondered what it was. He died of consumption aged 27 - I don't know whether his work affected his lungs.

Lesley

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 June 06 15:48 BST (UK) »
It seems the family performed many jobs! Francis my great great grandad [henrys son] was in the army at one point serving with the Yorks regt in the Boer war while Alfred was involved in the relief of Khartoum the Boer war India and even the first world war. i have a few pictures of each i could post actually. Do you have any pictures of those who lived on the street?

The jet may have some connection to his early death, I can imagine the dust would do alot of damage to those who worked the material.

will
Marshall, Hopkins, Marlow, Frank, Burns, Doy, Haggerstone, Frankland, Bulmer, Hoggard, Baker, Chapman, Walker, Stonehouse.

Offline Will Marshall

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 June 06 19:15 BST (UK) »
Francis Hopkins My great great grandad born 1865. Who was living in Dumple street on the 1871 census aged 6.
Marshall, Hopkins, Marlow, Frank, Burns, Doy, Haggerstone, Frankland, Bulmer, Hoggard, Baker, Chapman, Walker, Stonehouse.

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 05 June 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
Great picture Will.  Taken on the South Bay at Scarborough I believe- a short walk from Dumple Street.  ;)

Ticker

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 05 June 06 22:05 BST (UK) »
I envy your photo because when my grandmother died her children threw out all her stuff. I only have one Scarborough photograph - a tiny sepia thing, showing an old lady dressed in black, holding a bible (I think). At the bottom it says 'Boxell & Co. Scarborough'. I have no idea which of my ancestors it is.

It must be great to see your great-great-grandfather.

When my grandmother was 12 she was sent to work as a servant for a relative in Scarborough who owned some sort of boarding house. One day I'd like to trace it, but I think I may have to wait for the next census to come out to search!!

Anyway, thanks Will, for all your pictures. I'm very grateful - wish we could see more images on the site.

Lesley

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 10 June 06 09:48 BST (UK) »
What did a jet turner do?

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 10 June 06 10:57 BST (UK) »
What did a jet turner do?

Hi Lesley

A Jet Turner would have made jewellery and ornaments etc. out of the famous Whitby Jet.  See http://www.whitbyjet.co.uk/aboutjet.html

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 10 June 06 11:09 BST (UK) »
A fascinating site for someone like me - I didn't know anything at all about jet - and am quite surprised my g-g-g was involved in making jewellery - somehow I imagined it was some sort of heavy industrial work. Thanks again Ticker