Author Topic: Rowson/Larkin  (Read 6850 times)

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rowson/Larkin
« on: Friday 26 May 06 13:24 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any records relating to John Rowson born around 1837, who married Sarah Larkin (born around 1834) at Gorey Registry Office on 1st November 1856 and again in the Catholic Church at Clologe in the Parish of Ferns on 14th November 1856. John Rowson's father was Thomas Rowson, who may have been living at Forties in the Parish of Kilbride, and Sarah's father was Patrick Larkin who may have been living at Camolin in the Parish of Toome. John and Sarah were married in the presence of John and Mary Larkin first, then James and Mary Larkin, probably Sarah's siblings

I suspect that John's family was probably Church of Ireland and that he may be related to Samuel Rowson/Rowsome, who was living at the family home of Ballintore in the Parish of Kilbride and who married Mary Parslow. Not sure where to find CofI records for John's family, or whether catholic parish regisers recording Sarah's birth would still survive. Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks and kind regards,

skill
Rowsom, Larkin in Wexford
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Rowson/Larkin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 May 08 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hello skill,

Are there any uilleann pipers in your family? Thanks to a MySpace video of Liam O'Flynn I've learnt that generations of Rowsomes were makers and players of pipes.

Liam referred to Leo Rowsome so I checked for information about him on Wikipedia. 
I discovered that Leo's father was William. I then googled and spotted a site about Rowsome pipes which has details of five generations of Rowsomes. 
www.esatclear.ie/~rowsome/uilleann.htm 

Christopher

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 09:05 BST (UK) »
In the Houses of Wexford book the authors writes re House No. 494 - "Glascarrig, Ballygarrett" - of families associated with that property.  While the Rowson mentioned is too early for you - the christian names John and Samuel are both mentioned:-

"There is a report that John Rowson (1670-1733), father or uncle of Samuel Rowson of Curratubbin (q.v.) died at Glascarrig, but whether he had any interest in the property is not known."

Cheers

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 January 09 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Christopher and thanks LH.

Christopher, I suspect that my GGGrandfather, John Rowson, and his father Thomas of Forties, Kibride are indeed related to the uilleann pipe-playing family of Ballintore. I used to play the clarinet and my Grandfather Thomas ran a dance band in Liverpool, so I think the music must have come from somewhere !

LH, this is very helpful - which Book of Houses of Wexford are you referring to, please ? I have Rowsomes, Rowsoms and Rowsons at Glascarrig, Monamolin, Ballycanew, Camolin, Toome, Forties and Ballintore, but am still trying to tie all of the family together. I have a copy of a Deed dated 1698 in which Samuel Rowsom of Ballyart leased land from Robert Sunderland. Samuel was married to Margaret Hatton by whom he had at least four sons, Samuel, Henry, James and William.

I found the burial of John Rowson at Glasscarrig on June 16, 1733 in the parish records of St Mogue's, Ballycanew, but am not certain of the link with Samuel.

Many thanks again

skill
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 January 09 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The book I referred to was "Houses of Wexford" by David Rowe and Eithne Scallan (Ballinakella Press). This is a marvellous reference book and contains a wealth of information on families living - and who have lived - in the county.  Each house has a good description, frequently accompanied by a photo or drawing.  Most importantly, where possible, the authors have included a list of families associated with each property.  A real gem that I'd hoped would have been in my Christmas stocking.   Maybe next year......

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 January 09 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks LH.

skill
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 03 January 09 09:10 GMT (UK) »
P.S. Looks like a marvellous book. How did you find the reference to House No. 494, incidentally ? Is anyone offering a look-up request or do you have access to a reference copy. If so, is there any entry for Ballintore ?

Thanks again

skill
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 January 09 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I had a borrowed copy of the book here at home when your query appeared.  I'm pretty certain each house is numbered, so I assume thats how I gave you the information.

No, I'm sorry to say that I don't have a copy of the book, so can't do a look-up for you.  Maybe one day .... and then I can do look-ups!

Cheers

Offline ailbhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
Have you any idea where the book can be sourced? My grandfather was Samuel Murphy, Carriglegan. My father John Murphy had Murphy/Murphy parents and  always said Leo Rowsome was his cousin.  Thanks.