Author Topic: BIGGINS / MCFADYEN / WINTERSON  (Read 2681 times)

Offline malki

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BIGGINS / MCFADYEN / WINTERSON
« on: Monday 29 May 06 15:00 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the birthplace of my great grand parents ( and beyond ) and hoping there's someone out there who can point me in the right direction.

William ( born 1841 ) and Michael ( born 1844 ) Biggins, the sons of Bernard and Catherine ( nee Currie? ) left Ireland for Glasgow around 1865/69. William had married Elis(z)abeth Winterson somewhere across the border in Co Fermanagh and they possibly already had a daughter, Elizabeth. Michael was a single man, but married in Pollockshaws, Glasgow on 31/12/1869 to Irish born Mary McFadyen, the daughter of Patrick and Mary nee McGinlay.

Attached is a copy of the birth certificate of William & Elizabeth's 2nd(?) daughter, Margaret, born in Scotland - but what does it say about the place in Co Fermanagh where it took place?

Since posting this message I have obtained an original (copy) of the birth certificate which gives the place of marriage as NEWTONBUTLER, DECEMBER 1860. I have also found information which gives Elizabeth's father as THOMAS WINTERSON, FARMER. From a Griffiths Valuation of October 1862 I have found a Thomas Winterson in the parish of KINAWLEY - is this the family? It may be coincidence but there is a BIGGINS noted in another Griffiths of 1857 at BAWNBOY. Am I right in thinking that NewtonButler, Kinawley and Bawnboy are not a million miles away from each other?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Malcolm Biggins
Biggins, Wilson, McFadyen, Winterson, Biggar, Mulcahy, Simpson, McGinlay, Honfeldt ( the German connection ), McFarlane & Smith or Smyth ( a Liverpool Tailor )

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BIGGINS / MCFADYEN / WINTERSON
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 November 10 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!