Author Topic: Can Someone date this for me.  (Read 2858 times)

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Can Someone date this for me.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 May 06 18:14 BST (UK) »
hi joy,

I am terible on guessing ages I am afraid and am often wrong but at a stab I would hazzard a guess and say that he was between his late twenties and very early thirties when this photograph was taken (not much of an age more of me hedging my bets ;D) saying that this photograph was taken in 1916 his date of birth would possibly be between 1884 -making him 32 in 1916- and 1891-making him 25 in 1916. The other thing is that your subject is wearing a lanyard on his left shoulder (on the right as you look at the photograph). Other things that can date this type of photograph is/are; the group setting, the subjects pose (arms folded sitting up right etc), the style of hair (centre parting and some side partings in this grouping)  and also facial hair (in this case "your" soldier has an "old bill" mustache twisted at the end which was more common with the older soldier than the younger ones).

what was his name Joy as you can find out which regiment he was in from his medal card. not only that but its good to put a name to a face.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 29 May 06 18:21 BST (UK) »
Old Rowley
Thanks for all the info. My grandfathers name was Thomas Wood. I do not have any records for him because they seemed to have been lost after he passed away. I just looked up the birth and death dates of my grandfathers both named Thomas Wood 1st. Born 1842 died 1909 second born 1815 died in 1884
I would say that it is the first which means he was my grandfather and not great grandfather.
I will look up his date of death and go from there. I have been working on family history, and I have found relatives I never knew I had.
Again thanks for all your info
Joy
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 May 06 18:36 BST (UK) »
hi Joy,

I have had a quick look at the medal card index for world war 1 campaign medals at the national archives site and have found that there are some 669 cards held with the name of Thomas Wood. Did your Thomas have a middle name by any chance, or have you any information that can or may direct you to his regiment?

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 May 06 18:42 BST (UK) »
Old Rowley,
I am not sure about this. I will look in my papework and see. I pretty much knew nothing about my grandfather until recently when my passed away, and I found the photos, but anything else I am not sure. My fathers middle name was Thomas Lindsey Wood, but whether his father had the same middle name I doubt it.
joy
Jones( Hereford) Wales Williams( Wales) Broughtons<br />Elsworthy, Lindsey, Polles,clayton,
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 29 May 06 18:53 BST (UK) »
OK...so I was wrong !  I usually am !  But...if your grandfather died in 1909....how does this fit ?
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 29 May 06 19:35 BST (UK) »
I am not sure of the death dates of either men, so you are not wrong. I found the info in Ancestry which most of the time is incorrect, but the man is definitely my grandfather.
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,

Offline roadrunner465

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 29 May 06 20:02 BST (UK) »
Rowley
I looked up the marriage certificate of my grandfather. He was born in 1874
and died in 1952. His full name was Thomas Lindsey Wood, so it looks as though he would be the one in the picture.
joy
Wood, Jolley, Bridges,