Author Topic: Hurst`s from Enniskillen  (Read 8499 times)

Offline watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hurst`s from Enniskillen
« on: Monday 29 May 06 18:07 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any information on my GGrandfather George Hurst born 22 april 1865 in Enniskillen, his parents were George Hurst and Ann Moore.
George married my GGrandmother  on 8 Oct 1894 in St Michaels episcopalian Church in Govan Scotland.
Anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Charlie.
Pearson,Person, Pierson, Young, McGrath,Hurst,Kane, marshall, Cooper,Quin,Clark,Smart,Mann, Carlisle,Stewart(Stuart),Burns, Deuchars,Peddie,mcFarlane, Haliburton, Montgomery & Winton

Offline Blunny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hurst`s from Enniskillen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 May 06 22:26 BST (UK) »
Good Evening Charlie,
There are quite a few George Hurst's from Enniskillen, do you now the townland ?
or You could look in the Griffith's Valuation for 1848 to 1864 at,

http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php

hope this helps you on your way.
regards   Peter
Battle - Blunham, Bedfordshire.
Baker - Kingsley, Headley, East Wellow, Tuxlith, Hampshire &  Croydon, Surrey.
Arnold - Holybourne, Hants.
Gates - Holybourne, Hants
Davies - Croydon & Hackney
Kearns - Co Tyrone, N. Ireland (also Cearns)
Magill - Co Donegal, Ireland
Whitmarsh - East Wellow, Hampshire

Offline watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 16:52 BST (UK) »
Hello peter,

thanks for your reply. all that I have is that he was born in Enniskillen, Fermanagh, Ireland. His wife Charlotte Carlisle is also from Ireland, but I have no further information on them.
I will try the web site you sent me tomorrow, as tonight I am going to see my new grandson who is only 3 weeks old.

thanks again,

Charlie.
Pearson,Person, Pierson, Young, McGrath,Hurst,Kane, marshall, Cooper,Quin,Clark,Smart,Mann, Carlisle,Stewart(Stuart),Burns, Deuchars,Peddie,mcFarlane, Haliburton, Montgomery & Winton

Offline BRACO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 November 14 14:38 GMT (UK) »
I came across your 2006 message by accident.
My great grandfather was George Hurst from fermanagh. My grandfather was William Hurst born 17/09/1896 in Glasgow. He often visited friends in Lisbellaw and Tempo and in Fermanagh. There was mention of Pearsons in Dundee named:
Eddie who stayed at Linlathen.
Also George, Eddie, Jean, Dickie, Charlotte + Williamina twins, and Frances.
My Mother was Margaret Hurst.

Offline watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 14 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Braco, this is the first positive link about my Irish ancestors on my mothers side, it is great that you came across this post by accident as it would appear that we may related.
The Pearson's that you mentioned are my mothers family, she was Wilhelmina but sadly passed away 38 years ago when I was 18yrs old, their was quite a few of them, eleven in total with only three still living.
The youngest (Alexander) recently told me that his sisters Francis and Jean went over to Ireland when they were small and lived with some relatives during the school summer holidays in a converted pigsty, they used to make bed covers and sell them at a local market.
George Hurst married Charlotte Carlisle in Glasgow on 8th Oct 1892 and in the 1901 census had three children, William, Charlotte and Sarah.
William was mentioned as a witness to his mothers death in 1954, he resided at 42 North Street, Leslie in Fife.
At the time of her death in 54 Charlotte lived at Blackhill Cottages, Braco. :)
George Hurst's Parents were George and Ann Moore
Hopefully we can talk more about our ancestors

Offline watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Braco,
My Grandmother Charlotte was your Grandfathers sister.
Our G Grandfather George Hurst (1867-1931) wed Charlotte Carlisle (1870-1954) in 1892
I have traced the following children
William (1896-) wed Grace McVicar Bolton in 1918
Charlotte (1898- 1958) wed Lawrence Pearson (1900-1979) in 1921
Sarah (1899-1900)
George (1905- 1907)

Hoping you can maybe add a few more names, to allow me to add to the family tree I have on my heritage web site

Charlie

Offline BRACO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 November 14 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello Charlie,

Your research is good.
My mother Margaret passed away at 89 over a year ago. There was 7 of them but only 4 made it to adulthood. George, William and Jean with my mother. (all gone)
They too used to visit people in Lisbellaw, Tamlaght and Tempo. The Foster family ran the forge and had hens and pigs. They were friends of Willaim Hurst my grandfather. George our great grandfather worked on 'The Brookeborough Estate'
We (me and my sister Alison) were taken as kids to the area and visited these people. My parents always kept in touch and went over a few times. They told us of an old ruined farm that had something to do with the Hurst family. There was also a family story that G/Grandfather George had taken up with the Catholic milkmaid and was 'disowned' before coming to Glasgow but that may have been the previous generation. It is unclear. There is a top Irish horse stud run by Hursts at at Tattygare which is in the area. .....

BLackhill cottages still exist just outside Braco on the main road. There were two semi-detached cottages facing across the road and when Charlotte died hers went for £60.
Hers has been joined with nextdoor's and is now a very up market beautiful property (with internal running water!) The 4 cottages used to share a handpump for stream water.
I work in Glasgow on the corner of Brown St and Argyle St, 3 floors up - which - is where on 407 and a half Argyle st. my Grandfather William was born!.
Hope you find this of interest. - Gordon.

Offline watcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 January 15 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gordon,
Sorry for taking so long to reply but I have been busy with Christmas, New Year, birthdays etc.
Even being semi retired I still find it hard to get enough time to research my family tree.
Since our last posts I have traced George's wife Charlotte Carlisle's parents back to Ireland using the 1901 & 1911 Irish Census
Edward Carlisle (1837) and Bridget Carroll (1834) wed approx 1859
1901 resided at House 9, Dearpark, Lismalore, Fermanagh
Edward was a Stonemason and could  read and write, Bridget could only read.
They had a daughter Staying with them; Sarah aged 40 who was a widow and her married name was Early, she had her son John with her, he was aged 12 and was born in CO Tyrone.
Edward and Bridget had 8 children and by the 1911 census only 3 were still living.
In 1911 Edward and Bridget had moved to House 1, Taltenamona, Greenhill, Fermanagh.
Sarah and her son were not there.

I have looked at trying to trace George but their are an awful lot of George Hurst's in Fermanagh, one family are proud to have at least one in every generation!!!!

Offline ktravers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 January 19 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi. These posts are quite old so not sure if anyone will see this. My great grandmother was born to an unmarried Sarah West in 1874 in Tempo. I’ve just found her baptism record and it said the “putater” (presumed) father was a G HURST of Glasdrumman. Wonder if anyone knows who this fella may be?