Author Topic: Phillips/Chaffe  (Read 693 times)

Offline furn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Phillips/Chaffe
« on: Friday 22 October 04 07:03 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help, I am trying to find info about Elizabeth Phillips (born 1900 Wales? died Devon 1956) who married William Henry Chaffe (b.1896/7 d. 1969/70)  from Devon after 1927.
This was Williams second marriage and I think the first marriage for Elizabeth.

Elizabeth had a daughter Dulcie Phillips born march 1927 in Maerdy Sth Wales.Dulcie has a very small birth certificate but it only has her name on it & the town, she thinks it may be because she was illegitimate.

William & Elizabeth had a daughter born 1930.a son b 1933 & another daughter b.1936

William already had a son William Alfred George b 1919 d 1940 in war, & a daughter Megan b. 1924 d.1942.
If I could find Williams birth certificate & possibly his 2 marriage certificates, death certificate? I may be able to find some info about Elizabeth.
Any one have any advice on avenues that I should be pursueing?
Advice greatly appreciated

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Phillips/Chaffe
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 October 04 10:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Furn,

If I were you I'd start the hunt with a marriage certificate for Elizabeth and William. Unfortunately this means trawling through several years of registration, but it can be done online at sites like 1837.com for a small fee. Luckily William has an unusual surname and you know you are likely to find it between 1927 and 1930, give or take a year! Similarly with his first marriage - start at 1919 and work backwards.

This will give you an age for Elizabeth and the name of her father (also for William of course), to assist in finding her birth. It should also tell you whether she was spinster, widow etc.

From what you say, Dulcie has the shortened version of her birth certificate but should still be able to order one with full details. Unfortunately, if she was illegitimate, it is highly unlikely to name the father unless he went to register the birth.

Hope this helps a little. A lot of this stuff involves endless trawling through records, but the buzz when you find what you're looking for is fantastic :)

Good luck!
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk