Author Topic: How many of you know Rootschat has a Topic index  (Read 4003 times)

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
How many of you know Rootschat has a Topic index
« on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:44 BST (UK) »
The reason i ask is because many ,many times since i joined rootschat.I have seen a post maybe three weeks old. That has not had a reply,the question is usually a specific one.Of which there is a topic/page  for,so i as i cannot answear their question i advice them by P.M  which topic to go to where they will find a link to the website they need . Many times they cant find it,so i then direct them go to? then? and so on. I have myself introduced a few people to rootschat but they say its too complicated.They can never find what they want.  Nowhere on rootschat is the word index mentioned,yet there is one. So tell me if you want to know "what did a slopper do" that was the occupation of?
 or you want info on Royal Navy records or anything else. I know how to find these ,do you? I am just curious to know.

Celia  I would have liked to have done a vote but i dont know how to,never done one ;D
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How many of you know Rootschat has a Topic index
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 22:58 BST (UK) »

I've always used the "Search rootschat" Button, and usually find something...

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline smeghead

• RootsChat Veteran
  • PINK FLOYD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 23:09 BST (UK) »
search rootschat works or on home page there  is a list of counties and topic boards and by clicking on them brings up more selections

Jim
Jeves, Sparkes, Downton, Chaney, Digby, Jenkins, Taylor, Hiscock, NOAKE, McCabe, Harman, Cuffay, Lloyd, Jamieson Lister,Rimmer,Kryten, Kochanski, Holly                                            Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline OzKat

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Tangled webs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 04:43 BST (UK) »
I'm curious. I'm not aware of a Topic Index as such. Where is this thing that you are talking about. :-\ :)

I do use the search facility from time to time but I tend to give up after a few entries because it is hard to limit the search the way I would like.

So ... much as I love Rootschat (and I really do ;D) I can understand why some folk would give up. But what a shame that they do.

Kath
... Morrison, Murphy, Lindsay, Jones, McClatchey, McCormick, Sheehan & more - Ireland ...
... Grant, Ross, Urquhart, Rorie, May, McDougall, Donaldson  & more - Scotland ...
... Percival, Hodson, Russell, Lavis, Moxey, Viney, White, Delaforce, Bayne & many more - England ...

Percival and McCormack Family History

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 11:32 BST (UK) »
HI
I think maybe i missed something out ;D i should have said Topic boards. I have never really thought of the first page as being a home page.Thats why i call it an index.What i was trying to say was.Obviously members have to go through the "Home page" I think the problem arises when they go straight to Counties.Then put their "where can i find"message  on the board. Then they cant get off again, to find the topic board i have referred them too (hence the instructions ;).What some don't realize is that the words Rootschat com on the top of all pages.Takes you back to the home/index/topic page. So i just wanted to know if everyone realized that. I do think that not knowing that,they use the search facility.Took me a while to realize that was what they were doing ;D.They get there in the end though ;)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 20:33 BST (UK) »
  RootsChat.Com
  Beginners
  How to Use RootsChat
  Post reply ( Re: How many of you know Rootschat has a Topic index ) 

See the little leaves at the top of this thread - beside each level???

The top one - Rootschat. com is the main board.
I go there to find each and every forum  I need.
IS this not the index page ??? I've always assumed it was.
Or is it more of a sitemap page.   :o

BD
BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Carleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 July 06 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Celia,

I have to agree - I find Rootschat complicated.  There are so many different forums and I never know which one to use.  I have used Rootschat only a few times but I have always been fortunate in receiving an answer and that answer has always helped.

It seems to take me forever to find the proper forum and even then I'm not sure.  Trouble is, the next time I want to post a message, I have to go through this all over again.  Can you help, please.

Dorothy
ROBINSON, Gtr. London & Kent; ELDRIDGE, Kent; BUSBY, Asthall, Oxford.; HAMILTON, So. Kensington, M'Sex, LANGFORD, Finstock, Oxfordshire. & Kensington, M'Sex; EELES, Windrush,Gloucester & Oxfordshire; CHAMBERLAIN, Upton, Berkshire; SMITH, Bethnal Green/Mile End.

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 July 06 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Dorothy,

Welcome to RootsChat   :) :)

Organising things is always a problem. As I write, we have
Members: 32832  •  Posts: 779701  •  Topics: 145806

If we just had one long, chronological list for the 145,000 topics we'd all be searching for ages  :)

The best way to navigate is to go to the home page, also called the index page,
either as BurrowDigger says, the top leaf of the tree,
or simply click on the button at the top of each page.

After a while, you will notice which boards you use most and can add them to your favourites.

Although we don't have a topic index as such, there are a few themes that are constantly being asked about so I have listed some of the topics dealing with them here

Topic: RootsChat Topics: Xth Cousin, N times Removed ?
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,159422.0.html

Topic: RootsChat Topics: Organising and Presenting your Family History
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,158638.0.html

Topic: RootsChat Topics: Family History Software, Genealogy Programs
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,158637.0.html

Topic: RootsChat Topics - Naturalisation and Internment
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,157691.0.html

Topic: RootsChat Topics: Social History Resources for the U.K.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,163836.0.html

Hope this helps,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 July 06 08:40 BST (UK) »
Bob has pointed out the Home button that leads you to the "index". Never mind remembering about leaves.
As to search you can simply enter your search word in the little form and press the button. That may be a problem if you are looking for "Navy" or "Middlesex" or "London" but not a problem if you are looking for "Kingwinsford" or " Abergavenny". However the list of postings you get will be everyone you ever posted anything about Abergavenny. You can access the same list by looking through the index for Monmouth but then you will have all postings for Monmouth as well.
If you saw a posting about the surname "Dickson" you will do well to use the search button - it will locate this name faster than by any other means.
You do not need to use the Advanced Search.
The "index" is a bit unecessarily cluttered with seldom used sections such as for the Irish Gaelic, Scottish Gaelic and Cornish languages. These take up space and receive a joint total  of about 9 posts per year.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk