Author Topic: Is anyone going to Kew that could check army records please  (Read 3909 times)

Offline jackie walker

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Is anyone going to Kew that could check army records please
« on: Friday 22 October 04 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have now got my grandfathers army details if anyone is going to Kew and may have time to check them for me it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Jackie

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone going to Kew that could check army records please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 October 04 11:44 BST (UK) »
Jackie
You may have already done this?

If you haven't start with
www.documentsonline.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

go to the quick search option, enter your grandfathers name and year range 1900-1949? and hey presto.....WW1 campaign medal roll

Regards
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bryant

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Grandfather Bryant 1897
    • View Profile
Re: Is anyone going to Kew that could check army records please
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 04 13:47 BST (UK) »
Jackie

You have never mentioned his name or age! which is always useful to those who may have the capability to do a lookup for you (sadly I don't count myself as one of those)

Was he in the Boer War 1899-1902? I think you have a better chance if he was, records being retained from the Boer War and unlike the WW1 records which were two thirds destroyed by a inconsiderate German bomber in WW2 with no feeling for family historians who required to know what happened to their loved ones 60 years on!

I landed up paying for research for my Grandfather (picked out of one of the family history mags) and it cost me about £40, I got a good account of his records for that with photostat copies of his whereabouts/family/where he was living when he joined/medals/height,build,condition etc...at the end of the day it would have cost me around the same if I had travelled to Kew and researched it myself, would I have got the same results in a day? one will never know!

Best of luck with the research
Bryant
Researching names BRYANT (Camberwell), PASTERFIELD (Essex and all), RAY (Holborn/Islington areas back to Brentford), POWELL (Glouc & beyond?)
Fletcher (Glouc into Warwickshie into Lancs?), BUCKLEY (Chatham area), Watson (Chatham area).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk