Author Topic: Egypt Alexandria  (Read 4279 times)

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Egypt Alexandria
« on: Wednesday 31 May 06 09:23 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I am looking for a Death at Sea.  I found some minimal details but need a certificate.

My gGrandmother was Louisa Annie Philipine Diacono (nee Wiss), she apparently died at sea at/on the way-to/near Alexandria.

The year was 1880
The ship was the "Almora"
Listed as: Diacono - Adult - Female  then a number 7
Later I found her listed in an Identical Manner with the No. 162

Can anyone point me in the right direction
Thank you
Lucy

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Egypt Alexandria
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 11:40 BST (UK) »
Is this information taken from the overseas civil registration index (which would include volume and page number)?
To purchase any civil registration certificate you need the full details from the civil registration index and then you can order the certificate from the General Registry Office.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/

Regards

Valda

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 20:18 BST (UK) »
Apologies Valda & Arranroots
Once I had found the relevant documents from my previous posts, I thought I had to direct my queries elsewhere.

I have tried to order this certificate before, but I was knocked back because I don't have the dd/mm I only have the year.

This has happened again. 

I can't get the certificate because dd/mm is missing.

Can you help further?  I am in a pickle with two other death certificates too - in this instance I only have a 5 year span record.

You help here much appreciated.
Lucy

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 20:39 BST (UK) »
I don't know of any historical certificate where you have to know the day or the month (you always ignore those fields - they are there for people who want modern certificates to prove it is them so they can't acquire false passports with someone else's birth certificate). For domestic certificates you certainly need to know the quarter but I have always ordered overseas death certificates (though I have not ordered any electronically) with just the year because that is all the information that is supplied in the index.
I've just tried it as far as my Visa card details (since I already have this certificate I stopped there) and my order was accepted with just the name of the man and his age (it was in 1968 so age was required because it was given in the index), the year of death, volume number and page number. I specified I wanted an overseas death certificate. This man died at sea. I didn't even specify that, as the only details in the index are that it is contained in the shipping volume which presumably  is duplicated by the information volume S in my case.

Regards

Valda

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you Valda

I will try again.

Lucy

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 May 06 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi - just to let you know - I wasn't putting in my correct reference.

Now they have accepted my payment, sent me details...I should have the certificate soon.

Thank you
Lucy

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 September 06 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Valda - I thought I would re-post here for continuity.
My question will come at the end of this epistle.

First - I have what appears to be the certificate of my GGrandmother's Death - (Louisa Annie Philipine Diacono nee Wiss)
One hang-up - No first names on a death at sea just Diacono - Female - date and cause..

Further - I found that Frederick was in Suakin in 1885 (Sudan campaign, but not a soldier)

I have been researching 1837online.com - and made some more discoveries.  I found the Deaths of Frederick Diacono's parents. I have their certificates - which lead to a brother (possibly George or Giovanni as the abbreviation is Gio).  I also discovered that Fred had a sister (Mary?) although I only know this through a death certificate entry. MG Zacher - son-in-law of Fredericks father Giuseppe Lorenzo Diacono (aka Joseph Laurence Diacono)
The fact that my grandmother had a third name Carmela - clinched Fredericks mother.
Both died in Alexandria within 9 months of each other at Bacos Station, Ramleh, Alexandria.

I have narrowed down my search now to finding Frederick in El Hadara Prison in Alexandria and through the kindness of a Rotarian living there, he has offered to seek information about Frederick's final resting place e.g. with his parents or a record at El Hadara Prison.

The Prison angle came from a friend in Melbourne who once lived in Alexandria as a child.

Now...having achieved this modicum of success - I have a real poser.

Firstly, I am a pensioner of limited means which allows me to search within the bounds of my income... having said that, I was looking in the 1837online.com overseas BDM records again in the hope of finding more on Frederick.

Here's what happened - I am sure I was looking in Marriages - the family is firm on this matter - they say that Frederick married again.(e.g. after Louisa Annie's death 1879 and before the trial 1893)

Yes - I found Frederick in Vol 5 Page 307....
Then! the lights went out - power failed, computer died.

After all that I went back looking - I figured anywhere between 1878/9 and 1893.

I used up all my Credits...for the life of me I cannot find this silly entry again.

I went through the History of what I was looking at...I lost it. Every time I clicked - the credits disappeared.  I began making errors and looking at stuff twice and three times over.  I stopped!

The entry I was looking at and jotting down information at the time of the power failure was, I am sure, marriages.

Diacono - Frederick Alexandria vol 5 page 307.

Can you help me locate this again?

The background above is just an outline of my follow through on things.

Thanks
Lucy

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 09 September 06 12:30 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I can't because I have no access to 1837online so I think you will have to post for a look up. Are you sure you were in marriages when you found the entry?

Regards

Valda

Offline lucygrasshopper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 September 06 19:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Valda - Not sure of exactly anything now.  But at the time, when I found the entry, I was somewhat taken aback with surprise when I saw it,

No future in getting old and forgetful.

The dust has settled and it is 4.15 a.m. Down Under time Sunday - perhaps, with clearer thinking, I might tackle it again.  Failing that - I will ask for a look-up.

Do I do that here? Whom do I ask.?

Sorry to be a pain.
Thanks
Lucy