Author Topic: Very little information .....  (Read 1477 times)

Offline scrivomcdivo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Very little information .....
« on: Thursday 01 June 06 11:52 BST (UK) »
My grandmother's uncle was called Patrick HANNAWAY and was born in Liverpool, United Kingdom c.1885.

Now, all my grandmother can remember is that, Patrick emigrated to Australia some time between the ages of around 25-40. She doesn't know where about in Australia he went.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to how I can find further info on this? I have searched the Australian National Archive site but to no avail

Thanks in advance

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Very little information .....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 06 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi scrivommcdivo  :)

The National Archives probably wouldn't have anything except a WW1 record for Patrick, but as you say not even that exists...passenger lists for the period you are looking at would be held in the relevant state records office, depending on where he landed. 

I had a quick check of the NSW BDM index, and found a Patrick HANNAWAY, father James, died 1919 in Sydney - could this be your man?  You can order the certificate from the website at:  http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

You should check the state records of NSW (http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/the_state_archives_945.asp) and the public records office in Victoria (http://www.access.prov.vic.gov.au) for an arrival record.

Cheers
Prue

Offline scrivomcdivo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 June 06 12:46 BST (UK) »
Prue,

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately, this sounds as if it may be another person as Patrick's father's name was also called Patrick. Nonetheless, given that his father would have been in the United Kingdom, would it have been likely that his father-in-law's name would have been given on the death certificate?

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 June 06 22:00 BST (UK) »
The father's name on the death certificate would have been provided by whoever was registering the death, and they may not have known who his father was, or they might have thought they knew but didn't...there are a few other Hannaways on the NSW BDM, so it might be worth you looking at those to see what you think.
Alternatively Patrick might not have gone to NSW at all - Victoria has a searchable (Pay-per-View) BDM index - just Google for "Victoria BMD"

Prue

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 June 06 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hello there
you said on one of your replies about his father in laws name
was he married and if so did he bring his wife with him?
that will help in the search
regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline scrivomcdivo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 June 06 11:19 BST (UK) »
From a little bit more research I have found out, there was a recorded marriage in Liverpool between a Patrick HANNAWAY and a Annie HIGGINS in 1905, so if this is indeed the pair, they would have emigrated to Australia after this but they would have emigrated as Mr & Mrs HANNAWAY.