Author Topic: Success story  (Read 752 times)

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Success story
« on: Friday 22 October 04 17:08 BST (UK) »
I always thought my family was Yorkshire since Noah was a boy, but got my gg grandparents wedding certificate revealing he was born in Norfolk. I started rooting around in Norfolk genealogy sites and found a surname list. Send speculative e-mails to three or four of the people on the list and it turns out that John Carver, my gg grandfather was an unknown son of James and that descendants of John's siblings had managed to get back to John's own gg grandfather Thomas Carver born 1680. Both parties pleased - me to get back so far so easily, my sixth cousin (or so we estimate) because he picks up a complete branch of an unknown family member. Later got a mail from somebody who believes he is my fourth cousin once removed.

Also mentioned a while ago that I'd written to a few people by the name of Carver in Hull as I knew nothing of that side of the family. Got a reply this week from one of my dad's cousins with a picture of my ggrandparents and as he had passed the letter to yet another cousin in California, today got a letter from her filling in loads of detail on the later branches of the family.

Rootschat is a great forum for getting help and guidance and although I feel rather parasitical having had to ask for more information than I have been able to contribute, hopefully I can start to become a net contributor in the future. All I have to do now is save my pennies for the alarmingly long list of certificates I want to acquire. Ho hum, well it is Christmas soon. Thanks to all who have helped me with my various enquiries.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
Re: Success story
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 October 04 19:48 BST (UK) »
It's great that you've been so successful.  I,m like you and thought i was a Yorkshire Lass through and through but half of my roots lay in Norfolk as well.  I've found quite a few cousins there and have got to say that the Norfolk people are almost as freindly as us Yorkies! <g>

Well done Nick, I,m pleased for you :)
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Re: Success story
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 October 04 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick ;D

that's great news - congrats! ;D

I too thought that all my research would be in Yorkshire but discovered that it was just my grandmother and her siblings who were born there - her parents were from Lincolnshire. Amazing!
Darcy
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk