Author Topic: Uniforms worn by Scottish soldiers in WW1  (Read 9589 times)

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uniforms worn by Scottish soldiers in WW1
« on: Thursday 01 June 06 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hello
This may seem a bit of an odd question but i was wondering if anyone could help me with a little detective work regarding an old photo.

My great great great uncle was a Sargeant for the Royal Garrison Artillery according to his marriage certificate in Glasgow 1918. I believe I may have found a photograph of him, as the person in the photo is wearing a uniform which looks sort of military-ish and which does not look like the uniforms worn by the English.

He is wearing a checked (tartan?) flat cap with the number 25 on it. The jacket has buttons running down the front, with capped sleeves, and there is embroidery near the cuffs. He wears a belt round the middle of the jacket and holds a long stick-type thing and what looks like a pair of gloves. He is seated in the photograph, which was taken at J.Weston and Sons in Folkstone.
I wonder if this description sounds similar to any uniforms worn by Scottish soldiers?

Unfortunatly I do not have a scan of the photo to hand as my grandmother owns it presently. If anyone would be kind enough to help me with this I will try and persuade her to let me scan it next time I see her...

Any help on this would be very much appreciated!
Many thanks

Sophie
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Uniforms worn by Scottish soldiers in WW1
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 June 06 21:51 BST (UK) »

i'm not an expert on scottish uniforms but the RGA wasn't a scottish regiment and would have worn standard british SD's

i suspect he may be wearing a clan outfit

( chris now heads back to his trench  :D )

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 03 June 06 20:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Harribobs.... Think I will have to research Scottish clans, I hadnt thought of that.
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline buskin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 03 June 06 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sophie, without viewing the actual uniform it is difficult to come up with a difinitive answer. However, if it's a posed photograph, then it's likely he's in dress uniform as opposed to everyday drill's. As a sergeant his stick may be a regulation dress baton or 'pace stick' which measures the pace on the march-128 paces of 33'' = 4miles per hour
on the march. Some regiments are different. Can you see his trews? if they have a check as his toorie has then he must have previously been in a lowland or territorial
regiment & the R.A. has allowed him to retain his previous regiments colours[usually a disbanded regiment]. The 8th
Irish in liverpool were allowed this honour after being
decimated in WW2. And though dispersed to other regiments were allowed to wear the 'Auld Caubeen'
until natural wastage finished the fashion.
Has the flat cap :) got a little bobble on the top. If so then that's a bonnet with a toorie on it. There used to be a song about it.
It's quite possible he will still have his original units cap badge on his bonnet, and this will be the giveaway.
Don't forget that by 1918 many regiments and corps had been so decimated that there was many a hybrid corps
welded together by amalgamation.
Try and get a picture[clear if poss;]
Cheers, Buskin, Tony Mc: in Liverpool.

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 June 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
Wow thanks Buskin, you are very knowledgable! I am definately going to have to persuade my granny to let me have the photo to scan, as it would be so much easier if people could see it for themsleves. Thanks again.
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline manchester regt

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 June 06 07:08 BST (UK) »
softieh,hes in the kings own scottish borderers,mack
manchester regiment,ww1

Offline softieh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again everyone
I now have a picture of the uniform in question, and was hoping that this may help someone say for sure what uniform this man is wearing. 
Many thanks for all your help.
Sophie
Rae-Worcestershire
Powell-Warwickshire
Grainger-Berkshire
Garnett-Lancashire
Cadman-Middlesex

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 21:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
Its the 25th( The Kings Own Borderers) Regiment of Foot.
From 1887 it then was the Kings Own Scottish Borderers,

The soldier in the photo may be in the Regiment Band, he could be the Band Sergent-Major, because he has a sword on him.

As for the date of the photo, well any time from 1887 to 1897, i could be wrong

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 October 06 22:58 BST (UK) »
I would have to agree with tms with regards to him being in a band as I have only seen the style of epulettes that he is sporting on band members. As for the date it is a bit tricky as the style of whiskers that he has is simular to that known as the Dunderry side whiskers this came into fashion from about 1863 and was worn for a long time after that date however with the date given for the regiment of 1887 it is a puzzle to why he would still be sporting such a style, but because of that date (1887) I would have to go along with tms again with a date between 1887 and at least 1897. If you posted the imagine on the photo resturation board PrueM might be able to advise you on the type of photograph it self and she may well be able to give a date frame as well.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop