Author Topic: Galashiels, Melrose and Ladhope!!  (Read 15510 times)

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Galashiels, Melrose and Ladhope!!
« on: Thursday 01 June 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Everybody,

I noticed from some of the other posts there seems to be some confusion as to which county Galashiels is in, so I will try and explain it as best I can.

Firstly the Town of Galashiels was split between two Parishes, the Parish of Galashiels and the Parish of Melrose. The Parish of Galashiels has always been in Selkirkshire. Melrose however was in Roxburghshire, so you could live in the town of Galashiels but be in the county of Roxburghshire.

From the point of view of census and civil registration it stayed this way until 1856, at this time a new registration district called Ladhope was formed out of part of Melrose Parish, this registration district included the Roxburghshire part of Galashiels town and had already existed as an ecclesiastical devision of Melrose Parish. This new Ladhope registration district stayed in Roxburghshire until the next change at the beginning of 1873.

In 1873 the entire registration district of Ladhope was moved into Selkirkshire and now the town of Galashiels was all in the same county but still split between two registration districts - Galashiels and Ladhope.

In 1892 Ladhope registration district was split, the large rural part was renamed Langshaw and returned to Roxburghshire. The other part which contained half the town of Galashiels was merged with Galashiels registration district and remained in Selkirkshire.

This explains why the populations of Selkirkshire and Roxburghshire behave erratically in the Later part of the nineteenth century and also why it can be difficult to locate people.

This means that if you cannot find your ancestors in Galashiels in 1841 or 1851 it would be well worth checking the Melrose census book for those years.

Hope this is helpful and let me know if you still need more information.

Emma

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Galashiels, Melrose and Ladhope!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 June 06 00:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Emma

You sorted out in half a dozen paragraphs something which we never did sort out in our heads.
We spent months trying to track down my g grandmother who insisted she was born in Galashiels. No sign!?!
She was born 5 miles up the road in Torwoodlee estate which, of course, is in the parish of Stow, Midlothian.

Your excellent summary will go on file.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline Gala Lass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 April 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Yes, if you are a person just starting out
in Family History it is very confusing.
I have tried to find family born in Ladhope
cottage. Well,through the years from 1850
to 1923. It has changed a few times.
So, thanks again Emma. I am glad to
know exactly which county to ask
for in what year. When on Scotlands People you can get so confused,I got
to where I just started putting,All,on
everything.
Thanks Again Emma,
Gala Girl
Galashiels (Paterson, Purves, Tweedie, Shiel, Welsh,Shaw)
Sinclairshill (Paterson)
Coldingham(Nisbet,Robertson,Purves)
Hawick (Kerr,Straucher,Tweedie)
Aberdeen (Patterson,Tweedie, Brown,)
Bradford England (Driver,Longfellow, Banks,
Butler,Holland)
Patterson,Paterson, Purves and Robertson-Missouri, Kansas, California, Pennsylvania,New York
Inverness Harris South, (MacCuich,MacLennon)

Offline anitah1972

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 March 11 03:30 BST (UK) »
It's been ages since your post, but I wanted to chime in with a great big "THANK YOU" for sorting that out!    Even checking maps and such wasn't helping me puzzle out the seeming discrepancies in the Census records.   This is SO helpful... v. much appreciated.
LEWNES/LIOUNIS from Greece, settled in Brooklyn, Kings, NYC, USA
ZBORAZ/SBORAI/SPORAY from Austria/Hungary/Czechoslovakia, settled in Pennsylvania, USA
GRAY from Galasheils/Hawick, Scotland
BAIN, SETH, GARDNER, DOUGLAS from Falkirk/Bo'ness/Linlithgow/Dumbarton, Scotland
MCGREGOR/MCGRIGOR/JARVIS from Scotland

Offline Diana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma
just trolling through messages to help with all the districts I have been researching. You have helped me no end. Thanks so much. I am researching  the Sanderson family. i have got back to John Sanderson born ca 1710 who married Margaret Hasty/ Hastie
Regards
Diana
Fulkes/Fulks/Fulke. Yates, Ashton,Gamage, Jefkins,Lowen, Pooley,Colcock, Bellchambers, all London, Surrey, Sussex Middlesex
Jones, Reece, Granger, Treherne, Worrall Ward, Weeks, Morrey,Thomas, Owen, Dorsett, Hinton all started out in Shropshire

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 June 18 11:36 BST (UK) »
Similarly, the city of Belfast straddles County Antrim and County Down, and I've known some members of one family claim they were born in Antrim while a sister or brother claimed to have been born in Down, and they were all from Belfast.

Harry

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 September 18 18:59 BST (UK) »
Also, thanks from me for the explanation. My gt gt grandmother, born 1827 is someone with varying birth counties ( Selkiirkshire/Roxburghshire ) on the Cenuses !! Unless the enumerator knew exactly which was which.