Author Topic: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2  (Read 41507 times)

Offline TAP1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2
« on: Saturday 03 June 06 17:01 BST (UK) »
Can anyone shed any light on where the 7th Btt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry served in WW2.  I know they did go to Italy - in particular Salerno as that is where my grandfather was killed in action in Sept 1943 and believe was part of the "Operation Avalanche" but I do not know much more.

Thanks

Or maybe point me in the right direction - maybe the imperial war museum would be able to help?
Morris, Purssey - Chertsey, Loring, Hall(s) - Cambridgeshire, Corder, Brazier - Cambridgeshire, Miller, Rosewell, Powell, Leach, Dacey, Doyle - Ireland, Hancock, Good - Hampshire, Blake - IoW, Yeakes, Whiting, Bradman, Stubbing, Hodd, Tutt, Thompson, Adley.

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 June 06 23:19 BST (UK) »
i think you might be better to try the museum

Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry Museum   
Slade Park TA Barracks
Headington    
Oxford    
Oxfordshire    
OX3 7JJ    
Region: South   
Tel: 01865 780128   

but post your GF's name and we'll try to get some more detail

cheers

chris

Offline liverpool annie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 June 06 20:46 BST (UK) »

Hi Tap !!

Maybe this will help - for background !  :)

Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry - OBLI Battle Honours

The Oxfordshire Light Infantry (1881) was formed from two established regiments in 1881:
1st Battalion, redesignation of 43rd (Monmouthshire Light Infantry) Regiment of Foot
2nd Battalion, redesignation of 52nd (Oxfordshire Light Infantry) Regiment of Foot
The Oxfordshire Light Infantry was then redesignated the The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry in 1908. It is the custom of the British Military to carry Battle Honours of the historical regiments forward into their new designations. The Green Jackets now carry the Honours listed below, as the OBLI was formed into their ranks in 1958.

The Second World War:

Defence of Escaut (retreat to Dunkirk)
Cassel (retreat to Dunkirk)
Ypres-Comines Canal (retreat to Dunkirk)
These were the 43rd and the 1st Buckinghamshire Battalion (TA - Territorial Army) that fought at Dunkirk, and were evacuated with heavy losses. The 4th Oxf & Bucks Battalion was not so lucky, being encircled and lost to the German forces.
Normandy Landing (52nd Battalion)
Pegasus Bridge (52nd Battalion)
Caen (52nd Battalion)
Esquay (43rd Battalion)
Lower Mass (43rd Battalion)
Ourthe (43rd Battalion)
Rhineland (43rd Battalion)
Reichswald (43rd Battalion)
Rhine (52nd Battalion)
Ibbenburen (43rd Battalion)
North-West Europe 1940 '44-45 (52nd Battalion)
Enfidaville (7th Battalion)
North Africa 1943 (7th Battalion)
Salerno (7th Battalion)
St. Lucia (7th Battalion)
Salerno Hills (7th Battalion)
Teano (43rd Battalion)
Monte Camino (7th Battalion)
Garigliano Crossing (7th Battalion)
Damiano (7th Battalion)
Anzio (7th Battalion)
Coriano (7th Battalion)
Gemmano Ridge (7th Battalion)
Italy 1943-45 (7th Battalion)
Arakan Beaches (6th Battalion)
Tamandu (6th Battalion)
Burma 1943-45 (6th Battalion)

Annie  :) :)
Cooper : Muels : Howarth : Every : Price : King

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407030702/http://www.freewebs.com/liverpoolannie

http://web.archive.org/web/20130407191115/http://manchestersoldiers.webs.com

http://web.archive.org/web/20130807102055/http://www.powv.webs.com/
Be who you are and say what you feel -  because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind ! Dr. Seuss

Erect no gravestone .... let the Rose every year bloom for his sake ! Rilke Sonnets to Orpheus, I

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 June 06 23:56 BST (UK) »

the ox and bucks has great history, probably remembered more for the d day assault on Pegasus bridge

the Salerno landings...my father was in it, he used to shake his head and say it was dreadful

i'll try and get some more info for you, what was your GF's name?  we'd like to know

Offline TAP1970

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 June 06 07:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Liverpool Annie and Harribobs.

Harribobs - my grandfather's name was Valentine Victor Morris but enlisted as Victor Valentine Morris.

He died in Sept 1943 (9th).  The story was have was that he was killed by a "land mine" but whether that is true or not we will never know.
Morris, Purssey - Chertsey, Loring, Hall(s) - Cambridgeshire, Corder, Brazier - Cambridgeshire, Miller, Rosewell, Powell, Leach, Dacey, Doyle - Ireland, Hancock, Good - Hampshire, Blake - IoW, Yeakes, Whiting, Bradman, Stubbing, Hodd, Tutt, Thompson, Adley.

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 September 09 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone
My grandad was Ox & Bucks 7th Batt Lt Inf 'D' Company.
And i have a stack of info on him, from Dunkirk to Anzio, (he was in the 1ST Bucks (TA) at Dunkirk), including lots of personal letters.
Of 30 awards to the Regiment, the 7th Battalion were granted 13.
all the best Adam

Offline bangerjackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 November 13 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I have done some research on the 7bn. ox and bucks and I can give you a summary.
The bn was formed in 1941 and was posted around folkstone. After training they were shipped to kirkuk via South africa and Bombay. They expected a german breakthrough but after the russians checked their advance the threat diminished. The regiment was moved by road to north Africa to join the 8th army. They went straight into battle at Enfideville and was commended for their fighting ability They become part of the US 5th army under Mark Clark and landed at salerno in September 1943. The fighting was fierce and a withdrawal was considered but after intense bombardment by the navy -  a breakthrough was achieved. The battalion advanced towards Battipaglia. The heaviest fighting was on the southern flank bourne by the 36th div (texans). The regiment took many losses and the fallen are buried in a british war cemetary ouside Battipaglia on the road to town of Salerno.
and

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 November 13 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bangerjackson
Just out of interest, why have you researched the 7th battallion Ox & Bucks, have you got a connection?
I enjoyed your summary, its a shame it finished at Salerno.
Adam

Offline bangerjackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 November 13 19:46 GMT (UK) »
HI Adam,
Thanks for your comments I will get back to you I need to read up my notes. My dad - Sgt bob Jackson nicknamed bangerjackson posted to the 7bn bn for the duration 1941 to 1945 after recovering from wounds at Dunkirk while  he was with the 1st bn ox bucks in  France and Belgium.
regards banger.