Author Topic: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2  (Read 41610 times)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2
« Reply #81 on: Monday 12 November 18 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi All
My Granddad Pte Joseph Smith service number 5389008
7th Ox & Bucks Light Infantry,
was posted to Italy and took part in the battle for Anzio. his battalion was surrounded by the German Infantry along with Fallschirmjager. His battalion was totally cut of from reinforcements and heavily bombarded from mortar and machine gun fire. the battalion held their ground to the last man
out of 1000 men it is said that only 60 odd men survived. my Grandfather was wounded and all positions were later overrun and remaining men were taken prisoner,

He was taken to Memmingen POW Camp / Hospital and treated for his wounds.
later taken to Stalag 9c Bad Sulza, Mühlhausen, Hesse. 
he ended up working in the Hospital as a porter looking after the wounded. either that or he could have ended up working in the potassium mines.
and there he would remain until the the camp was liberated by the Americans in 1945

would be very keen to learn more about his travel to Italy and to the camps
thanks Joe

7th battalion was in 167 London Infantry Brigade, 56th Division. The Brigade had been in Iraq Nov42 to Apr43. Italy Sept43 to Mch44. N.Africa April to July 44. Italy Jul to Sep44. Cadre to Dec44.

Evidently heavy losses at Anzio. What saved us was the guns of the Royal Navy and US Navy. It wasn't just the 7/Oxf and Bucks LI, In the late 70's my boss had been at Anzio as a junior officer in the RM Commandos together with US Rangers. They were mainly equipped with sten guns with a few Brens. They had to be put in the line. Opposition was the Hermann Goering Division. Massive artillery, machine gun and mortar fire. Then, avenues opened up allowing infantry to advance. The Commando's took losses, but as the Germans closed the massed auto fire of sten guns and the Brens stopped them. Not before realising that they were being machine gunned from behind. The Germans had been developing infiltration tactics for some time. His RM Commando, 44, 45, 46, I can't remember, suffered 50% casualties, they were withdrawn to Egypt for the rest of the War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/167th_(1st_London)_Brigade#Order_of_battle_2.     

Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline FamilySearch1944

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 12 November 18 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Having problems posting the photos, 3rd attempt

Offline FamilySearch1944

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 12 November 18 18:09 GMT (UK) »
2nd photo.  I also have an official one of the whole unit/battalion (female here so don't know the term but quite a big group)but will need to dig that one out.

Offline Rootes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Friday 21 December 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
I have an original 'War Chronicle 1939-40' vol 1 for the Ox and Bucks Light Infantry.

Offline Robe111

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Saturday 09 May 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
Hello just read all the comments on this page, it turns out my grandfather was in this regiment  in ww2  and died in salerno 15th Sept 1943, have you any advice how I can find out more details regarding my grandfather. Thanks

Offline Oli19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 11 May 20 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, My Grandad served in the 7th battalion Ox & Bucks. I have his war records and letters that he wrote home which have his regiment etc on. I’d love to be able to track exactly where he went. I know he was in Iraq, was in hospital in Egypt and went on through Italy eventually being captured at the river Po. Any ideas how I could definitively track him and find out what he was involved in??
Regards

Offline mtrplt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Thursday 04 June 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
Photo of two original 7th Battalion men, (with a street vendor), good friends of my Dad.
Picture taken in Cairo 1944.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Friday 05 June 20 11:20 BST (UK) »
Some loose ends.

Robe111 - to track your grandfather's service you need his service record:https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records (and see below)

Oli19 - you will need ideally to see the war diary at Kew (or have it copied) but this may help as a starter:
http://www.lightbobs.com/7th-bn-oxf--bucks-li-1940-1945.html  These are extracts from the regimental Chronicle.  There are random volumes to be found on Amazon but I haven't been able to isolate 7 Battalion.

The museum - https://www.sofo.org.uk/ - may be able (when open) to advise on bibliography (they don't have individual soldiers' records) but note earlier posts on the subject.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline JamesLoader

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Saturday 30 December 23 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi - this reply isn't ridiculously late nor unhelpful.

My Dad was in the 7th and likewise fought in North Africa, then Italy. He was captured as part of the Salerno Battle and spent 2 years in POW camp. In fact he completed his law exams while in there, as he was only 22.

If anybody has any photos letters etc I'd be more than happy to see them.

Here are a couple of mine. There are a couple of my dad, but also one of his company. The chronicle mentions him as putting his foot through the radio, just as they surrendered to the Germans.

He also sent a very detailed letter regarding the battle of Enfidaville, which I'll share once I work out how to post, rather than just reply ! :-)

all best
James.