Author Topic: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2  (Read 41587 times)

Offline mathsmal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi

If you are interested in researching the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry, I'd suggest that you contact SOFO - www.sofo.org.uk who now hold all their archives.

Matt

Offline bangerjackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
hi Adam
I have blown the dust off my files and I have enough material for a book so I will keep my findings brief . My contribution  about the regiment was really directed to the folk who indicated they had lost family at the Salerno landings and to make known the location of the British military cemetary.
However I would be happy to offer a background to the fighting in Italy until the 7th was disbanded in 1945, but I will have to keep it within certain limits.
Meanwhile may I ask if you do have a personal interest and/or a general interest in the 7th

regards bob jackson

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob
Sorry if I gave you the impression that I don't know anything about the 7th Battalion Ox & Bucks, when infact I know quite a bit, I was only making the comment I liked your brief summary of what they did.
Yes I do have a personal interest, its my granfather Fredrick Charles Ball who was a corporal in the 7th Battalion, I did mention it earlier in this thread.
I too have enough to fill a book, its surprising how it all builds up so quickly, I have also visited places they went to like Dunkirk, Hazebrouck & Anzio, did your father make it to Anzio that's where my granfathers war ended, he was captured in operation "Fischfang" (catch fish) and ended up in a POW camp in Moosburg (Stalag VII-A) for the last 18 months of the war.
What I am going to do as soon as I can work out how to do it, is post a 5-6 page document that is fantastic for outlining the 7th battalions WW2, it was made up for me by a retired lieutenant colonal after visiting the regiment for the first time at Slades Park, I am sure it might interest you even though you will know most of it (the same as yours did me).
One last thing, there were 2 battalions from the ox & Bucks in France with the BEF that sometimes get mixed up, my granfather was in the 1st Buckinghamshire Battalion that were a territorial army that fought at Hazebrouck, was your father with the other one.
All the best Adam
PS) Your only the second person I have bumped into on the net who has this connection     

Offline bangerjackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 November 13 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adam,
Thanks for clarifying the situation I should have read the message board properly.
My dad an ex regular soldier called back to the colours on the outbreak of war and joined the 1st Bn also known as the 43rd . This was a regular battalion. The 1st Bucks were deployed nearby but took a different route in retreat. I think they were at Cassel with the Glosters to act as rearguard but were moved on to Hazebrouk . This is fortunate for your grandad since the Glosters were overrun and captured. I also think !st Bucks were involved in a  rearguard action on a canal in Saint Omer before reaching the coast.

I am certain my dad was at Anzio since  I have a group photo of WO and Sgts in Egypt on their
return from Anzio.(that is how I learned his nickname).
The Lt. Col. you knew from Slade is also friend of mine who me helped tremendously gathering info.
My sources are extracts from war diaries ,interviews with vets (one who knew my dad quite well),
magazines and videos that I took on a tour of Italy. I did not manage to get Anzio unfortunately but I did visit Salerno War Cementary. My dad - he hardly spoke about his experiences apart from a few remarks that gave me a some clues to follow.
Thats it for moment stay in contact
regards bob

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 23:46 GMT (UK) »
This is for anybody interested in the 7th Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire light infantry & the 2nd world war.
Adam.

Offline bangerjackson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adam,
A good and comprehensive account of the 7th Bn Ox and Bucks in Italy.

I could add  a little to the fighting on Monte Comino . A veteran of the 6th Bn Grenadier Guards part of the 201st Guards Brigade gave me an account of his experience -the guards fought to the summit but found they were isolated and overseen by the enemy who were entrenched on even higher ground. I mention this because my Dad made reference to this on how the the 7th were given the task of assisting the Guards to withdraw - there were many casualties,

regards Banger

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bob
Thanks for the Monte Camino info.
What happened at Monte Camino I have tried to look into quite a bit and although I have got 3 big books on the second world war in Italy, Anzio, The Italian campaign & The day of Battle, I still find it hard to understand what the 7th Bn's role was, (the 3rd title I can thoroughly recommend).
I think its one of them battles its hard to understand unless I can see the terrain, I didn't understand fully what happened at Anzio till I went there.
I have been asked to go with some others who go every year, one of them goes because his uncle was in the 6th Bn Grenadier Guards as it happens, but I have a young family still and can't/don't want to go off just like that.
Do you know any good books for looking into Camino, I have been buying the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry War Chronicles by Gale & Polden when I see them, but I have only got volumes I (1939-1940)& Volume II (1940-1942) so far, let me know if you want anything looking up.
All the best Adam
PS) Bob did you get my answer to your private message to me, I was talking about DS and wanted to keep it private back, although I can post here, I am not sure how to do them type of posts, I will try again if you didn't   

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adam

If you click on someone's name (on the left) you can see their profile - and it will tell you when they were last active on rootschat - which gives you an idea of whether they will have seen your messages or not.

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adam180

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello milly
I know bob has been to this site because he only added to this thread yesterday, I answered his private message last week, but I can only find his original message not my answer, which was a quite long in depth message that took me a while, which is why I hoped I hadn't messed it up.
Thanks Adam