Author Topic: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2  (Read 41583 times)

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 7th Batt Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry - WW2
« Reply #63 on: Monday 07 November 16 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Recently I looked through the Queens battalion diary for the period when the 7th was broken up and found them remarkably detailed, with daily orders and even a list of those transferred over from the Ox and Bucks.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) I found mention of the person I was researching in the first of the files I ordered and didn't have time to do the other two Battalions. 
In the OBLI War Diary I a map for Coriano which I photographed.  Happy to email a copy to others which may help for map refs for Gemmano etc if you PM me your email and/or address

Hi - I am searching for any records from 7Bn OBLI as to my great uncle Leonard Alfred George Limmer transferred to 1/8Bn Royal Fusiliers (City of London) on 10th Feb 1944 and was killed with 1/8Bn 8 days later

I would be extremely grateful if you had any info as Ive drawn a blank with the Fusilier records

Many thanks
Cliff
South Shields, London - Stobbs, Winfield
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley
Oxfordshire - Kinch, Gomm, Probbitts

Offline mathsmal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

A rather late reply to Drew and Adam -

Ingram Murray is not so involved with Museum anymore, and I am afraid I don't know David Stirling - sorry. Ingram certainly knows his stuff about Hazebrouk and Cassel, and has a lot of knowledge.

I checked with him about Robey, and he said - Sjt Robey won the DCM at Comines in May 1940. He stayed put with his platoon when everybody else pulled out. A counter-attack by the Sappers found them hanging out. Later he was RSM of the Bucks. His portrait decorates the front of the Chronicle.

I hope that helps a bit!

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 17:33 GMT (UK) »

Hi - I am searching for any records from 7Bn OBLI as to my great uncle Leonard Alfred George Limmer transferred to 1/8Bn Royal Fusiliers (City of London) on 10th Feb 1944 and was killed with 1/8Bn 8 days later.  I would be extremely grateful if you had any info as Ive drawn a blank with the Fusilier records

Hi
I am afraid I didn't copy the war Diary for the 7th Bn that early in 1944 so you would have to get the War Diary from Kew.  The 7th Bn War Diary was reasonably comprehensive but the one of the Queens I read was more so and included daily orders etc.
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 19 November 16 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks Skoyen
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley

Offline Skoyen89

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 20 November 16 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Cliffkinch - if you cannot get to Kew yourself there is a guy called Drew (I think) on WWII Talk site who can get them for you at a more reasonable rate than TNA charges for copying War Diaries.
Honeyman and Callaway Families
Men and Women commemorated on Tetsworth War Memorial

Offline geoff6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: My fathers WW2 Army file ?
« Reply #68 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Drew, thanks for info on ox & bucks diaries but I do have most of them ,I just wanted to chat to other ox & bucks families and pass on or get other info. It may be nice if anyone's father knew mine . I know he had a friend that lived in Hastings e.sx when I was a child in the late fifties /sixties as we used to visit him he had 2/3 girls I think his name was mick or Mack but that is all I can remember. also we use to visit his old reg.sergeant major at the tower of London. I believe he then ended up in the Chelsea pensioners home. My father was Sidney William Hussey. not to be confused with the Hussey that was an officer that was killed and is buried in salerno. 
regards
Freda
  Do you know the names of any of the troop ships that he went overseas on, please?

Offline geoff6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Just found this site by accident. Interesting research here on the Oxs and Bucks. My Dad was in the Oxs and Bucks, not sure which unit, but he was at Monte Cassino also Anzio. He had previously fought in North Africa Eventually he ended up in the top of Italy next to Yugoslavia. Five years away from his family. As mentioned in other posts, the Oxs and Bucks were decimated at Monte Cassino. My Dad was transferred to the Queen's Own for Anzio. I live in Canada and I have been planning to go to England to look at my Dad's war records. From some of the comments here it looks like I can do that long distance. any assistance in that area would be helpful.

Best Geoff

Offline cliffkinch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff

I got my G-Uncles details from Soldiers of Oxfordshire - http://www.sofo.org.uk/

You will need his service number to help them out, and there is a small cost for their time. Good bunch though and able to progress an investigation where I could not

Hope this helps
Cliff
Banham - Limmer
Wilts, S.Wales - Comley

Offline geoff6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday 31 January 17 18:08 GMT (UK) »