Author Topic: CRICKMORE, all of the St. Elmham's  (Read 7705 times)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: CRICKMORE, all of the St. Elmham's
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 June 06 16:47 BST (UK) »
oooops!

Sorry, the explanation is not for Sus, but for anyone who doan't know wot we are gooing on about!

A load of ode squit Oi reckon!

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Sus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 04:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, Suffolk Mawther --

I enjoyed reading your explanation of "mawther" and a bit of the Suffolk dialect.  I tried reading it aloud, but my American accent couldn't quite get around it all!  It did bring back memories, however!  I have a tape recording (reel-to-reel) of my dad and some Suffolk friends reading humorous stories out of the East Anglian magazine, back in 1960! 

I hope that your walking tour of Framlingham went well this past weekend.  I am not acquainted with the town, but I did locate it in my trusty Philip's Suffolk street atlas! 

I have seen pictures of the little church in Syleham, and once read that the people used to climb up the Saxon round tower to see if Vikings were coming up the river!
If you are ever up that way again and could see if Great Green still exists, that would be lovely. 

Sincerely,
Susan M. Blake
Phoenix, Oregon
U.S.A.
NORFOLK - Simpson, Snelling, Betts, Towler, Daniels, Rhodes, Darken, Silvey, Layton, Wells, Soons, Blyth, Slipper, Fitt, Sursham, Wilkin, Stratford, Weeks, Butler, Cuthbert, Blackburne, Pointer, Fisher, Bunton, Long, Mann, et al.
SUFFOLK - Cook, Moore, Youngs, Norman, Todd, Soanes, Crickmore, Boyce, Stone, White, Cubitt, Norman, Spence, Hickleton, Fiske, Butcher, Brown, Bloomfield, Woolner, Barnes, Tripp, Gurney, Burgess, Richards, Andrews, Gent, Sterry, Turner, et al.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 June 06 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again Susan,

It's such a glorious warm blue sky day here in Suffolk, I thought I would take the dog for a walk on the footpaths around our village this morning.

So in haste  :)

Last year one of our chain of book stores had a BOGOF sale (buy one, get one free) and it applied to everything they sold, so with left over birthday money I bought a complete set of all the Ordnance Survey Maps of Suffolk - well I thought they might come in handy for research purposes  ;)

Great Green looks to be a part of the main village centre of Syleham ~ I wonder if you check it on Google Earth or better still, perhaps try www.old-maps.co.uk and have a look around.

We are going to Norfolk for a few days next month (surprise for my big birthday this year, and it really was a surprise as I thought I had my present at the time) we shall be going to Blickling Hall (beautiful National Trust building) as there is a series of 'pop' concerts and John booked for one of them.  I may be able to persuade John that we need to come home via Syleham (unfortunately I can't use visiting Caroline as an excuse as she is living abroad at the moment).  Will see what I can do  ;)

For John's home town www.framlingham.com
I guess we shall retire back there in a few years time ~ we live in south Suffolk now ~ and yes it must have gone well at the weekend as we have been asked if we would do it all again next year  :D

all best wishes,
SM ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Sus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 June 06 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hello, SM --

Thanks for your message and for the websites to look at for more info on Syleham (and Framlingham, too).  It would be lovely if you would stop by Syleham on your way back from Norfolk next month, but if it is not possible, don't worry about it.  It is a lot to ask, I know.

I  noticed that you have Fisk names in your genealogy, from Suffolk.  I have some also, mostly spelled Fiske, from Lowestoft, early 19th century.

Take care, and thanks again for your offer to stop by Syleham. 

Sincerely,
Susan in Oregon
NORFOLK - Simpson, Snelling, Betts, Towler, Daniels, Rhodes, Darken, Silvey, Layton, Wells, Soons, Blyth, Slipper, Fitt, Sursham, Wilkin, Stratford, Weeks, Butler, Cuthbert, Blackburne, Pointer, Fisher, Bunton, Long, Mann, et al.
SUFFOLK - Cook, Moore, Youngs, Norman, Todd, Soanes, Crickmore, Boyce, Stone, White, Cubitt, Norman, Spence, Hickleton, Fiske, Butcher, Brown, Bloomfield, Woolner, Barnes, Tripp, Gurney, Burgess, Richards, Andrews, Gent, Sterry, Turner, et al.

Offline willis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 30 July 06 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi All

I have many Crickmore's/ Crickmars on my tree but they all come from Fingringhoe. Is there any connection with the St Elmham branch ?
Willis--Polstead, Stoke & Colchester
Bones--Purleigh & Danbury
Humm--Woodham Mortimer & Great Henny
Ong--Woodham Mortimer
Osborne---London & Sible Hedingham
Guckes---Kent & London
Ingram--Wrotham
Ridley--Ightham
Root--Trottiscliffe
Hollands--Wrotham
Wagstaff--Fingringhoe & Birch
Brewster--Writtle
Martin--Polstead
Chippington--Stoke
Gillham--Dartford, Poplar & Otford
Lawrence--Dartford

Offline wawa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sus

My Crickmore's are from South Elmham, George Crickmore, parents (Jospeh Crickmore and Sarah Laws) married Elenaor Stannard, wondering if there is any connection.

Nari
Fairbanks Family - Staffordshire and Derbyshire Area
Crickmore Family - Salford and Altrincham Area

Offline Sus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 September 17 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, Nari --

I looked through my research, and I do not have any of the Crickmore names you are looking for. 

You may find something at  http://www.familysearch.org,  which has quite a large database of genealogical information submitted by researchers through the years.

Good luck with your search.

Sincerely,

Susan Blake
Hurricane, Utah, USA

P.S.  If you would like to take a look at my family tree and see my Crickmore line, just go to my website --  http://smblake1.tribalpages.com

Offline wawa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 07:15 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Susan, my Crickmore's have been nothing but a nightmare since I started, brick walls from day one but slowly working my way through it, thankyou for the link, will have a look :)

Regards
Nari 
Fairbanks Family - Staffordshire and Derbyshire Area
Crickmore Family - Salford and Altrincham Area