Author Topic: SIT: Surname interests table vs Surname Interests  (Read 10103 times)

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SIT: Surname interests table vs Surname Interests
« on: Sunday 04 June 06 17:25 BST (UK) »
Sorry if I'm being a total dim-wit (wot, moi?), but I'm trying to get my head round how best to advertise my surname interests (ie in the hope that I might find some distant relation, essentially a rich one....  :)).

There seems to be a surname table (arranged alphabetically) and also a surname interest page (which is where I've put my surname interests).  It doesn't seem that these 2 areas of info tally?  As well as this, there's all the surname interest info on each individual person's posts....

I was going to post my alphabetically-arranged surname interests, but it looks like that might take me quite a while (all the surnames, info I have on each one which might connect with someone else....).

Any thoughts, fellow RCs?!   :)

Clara
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname interests table vs Surname Interests
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 06 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara,

There is no connection between the Surname Interests Table (SIT) and the names in your profile (signature)
see Topic: FAQ: my postings are not showing my SIT names 
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,121583.0.html

The surname interests page(s) (I assume you mean this board,
"One Name Interest Common Room"
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,151.0.html
are meant more for people researching all occurrences of a single name.

Most people put postings on the relevant county boards, to say "... interested in X, Y and Z in Thistown, ....shire", but that is usually limited to few names, and usually generates a bit of interest for one or two names, but then they slide down the list of topics and get lost.

In general, most people put their main areas of interest (or current researching) in their signatures, and (hopefully) all their name interests in the SIT.

My unbiased(*) suggestion, is to put them all in the SIT, as there are various sort and search possibilities built in.
- and also, the more people put all their interests in the SIT, the more useful it becomes.

Bob

(*)
Forget the fact that I wrote the SIT, I maintain the SIT, I look after the SIT, etc, etc, I'm being objective here !!
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 June 06 17:58 BST (UK) »
I agree Bob.

It is almost impossible to find surname matches which are listed under the various counties.  I use the SIT about once a week and wish that more users would put their names there.  If they just put the surname and the county it is easy to send them a message to check if there is a closer match.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldcrone

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 June 06 18:06 BST (UK) »
Cheers for that, Bob  :)!!

But still a bit unsure about the 'one name interest common room' (ie surely the surname(s) you're interested in?) and the SIT (again, surnames you're interested in)?

Bob, am I being a bit DUUHHHH!! here...??! ???

Just think that's there's room here for some missed cross-referencing...?

Clara

ps and yes, I realise that there's no connection between profile info and SIT....  ;)

Edit: what I'm saying, Bob, is that if you look on the A-Z surname one-interest board, there's loads of people that seem to be  saying, this is the surname I'm interested in, rather than, I'm only interested in a single occurence of this name....

Could be I'm being DUUUHH again, if so, sorry Bob   :-*
Shaw/Smith: Ottawa, Canada<br />Davies/Hill: Monmouth/Gloucestershire/Middlesex/Surrey<br />Chatfield: Kent<br />Crone: Kent/Sussex/Surrey/Ireland<br />Lyden: Ireland<br />Pannell, Newland, Proudley (travellers): Sussex/Surrey<br />Dobson, Hollins: Staffs/Cheshire/Warwicks<br />Boys: Sussex/London<br />Payne: Suffolk/London
Hasting(s): Sussex

Offline Berlin-Bob

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 June 06 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Clara,

no problems !!! 

The One Name Interest (ONI) boards are often misused.

A lot of people post things there which should really be on a county board, or a more general board.

But If you are interested in a particular surname, either for a proper One-Name-Study or just maybe all the Xs in the village where your Xs lived, then that is the right place to discuss it.

There are a few threads on the ONI which are very interesting, and generate lots of interest (Edlins of Leicestershire, for instance) but I'm not sure just how effective the ONI boards really are.

The SIT is just a table of names - if you find others there researching same names, it's up to you to contact them.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 June 06 21:06 BST (UK) »
Iwould only use the ONI board if I was wanting to get deep into that surname and seek to be a bit of a guru on it. 

The SIT is a great tool (no, Bob hasn't paid me to say that).  For general research needs for your own tree the SIT is the place to log your interests - more important than your profile. 

The info on your profile however might come up on google searches (eventually), dependant on how unusual it is.  So it is worth recording your key interests on your profile, just in caser this generates some "passing trade".

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble