Author Topic: 11th Hussars  (Read 8572 times)

Offline emmacawkwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 11th Hussars
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 October 08 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello. I'm new on here andhope someone can.

I have just discovered that an ancestor of mine was stationed at 11th Hussars Hounslow Barracks on the 1881 census. He was a Private William Howe, aged 23.

Could anyone help with some extra infomation.

Many thanks

Emma

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 12 October 08 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Emma

Welcome to the Forum. Here is a link to the researching soldiers at the National Archives - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/step4.htm. The main series are WO97 to see if his papers survive, and WO16 (maybe WO 12 as well), the Muster and Pay Lists. These start to disappear between 1885 to 1895 depending upon the regiment. But his early service will be included if you find his papers have not survived. They will tell you where he was on the first date of each month, plus (at this time) you should get some FH information if you are missing that.

Unfortunately they are all original documents so you will have to visit Kew or employ a researcher.

Have you found him in later census? And do you know where any of his children where born and when? This will help to discovering when he left the army, and also if he transferred to another regiment.

Ken

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline TimPic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 May 13 23:02 BST (UK) »
Has anyone heard of Captain ARTHUR HENRY SCOTT (thought to be born 1859) who was in the 11th Hussars for most of his life. He was probably in South Africa and missed the 1901 census, retiring soon afterwards to live near Barnstaple in Devon. He was also an equerry to George V. Date of death unknown, but still alive in 1943.

I have just joined and just noticed this, I am afraid there was no officer of that name in the 11th Hussars before 1908, I happen to have a copy of the regimental records.
The nearest name is William Scott-Elliot who joined as a 2nd Lieutenant from the Militia in Dec. 1894, was promoted lieutenant in 1898 and left to join the Army Service Corps as a Captain in 1902. He served in the N.W. Frontier 1897-8 and received the medal with clasp. Sadly though no Arthur Henry Scott

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 16 May 13 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Tim

Welcome to Rootschat ;D ;D  Thanks for taking the trouble to post. This thread has been inactive for a while and the original poster has not returned for some time so you may not receive any replies.

Please do stick around and explore Rootschat a little as there are lots of interesting conversations going on ;D

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 April 19 06:29 BST (UK) »
I've just read the really interesting information on the 11th Hussars and am looking for a James Marigold who was also in this regiment.  I have him listed in the 1841 cavalry  barracks in Kensington; and then again in 1851 in Norwich; probably with Lord Raglan the 7th Earl of Caridgan!  Wow. Anyway, I was wondering if any information on James Marigold is in the book "Honour the Light Brigade" by Lumis & Wynn?   

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 April 19 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just to tidy up AH Scott . . . . .

He and his wife Catherine are on the 1939 register at the address ( next door ) mentioned
It does not look like this person had any military history, due to occupation mentioned.
As it is a subscription site I will not publish details

R
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You canít give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 April 19 09:54 BST (UK) »
James Marigold would have been born in 1819 in Shenstone, Staffordshire.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 13 May 19 04:34 BST (UK) »
This is your man attached. His medals were sold on 19 Jul 2017 by Dix Noonan and Webb in London for £12,000 having been sold earlier on 08 Sep 2015 by the same auction house for £9,000. The write up is stunning. Wonderful bit of your history.
Regards, francoso