Author Topic: Wm Grimes-somewhere in Canada  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Valry

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wm Grimes-somewhere in Canada
« on: Monday 05 June 06 13:19 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help?   Looking for my Grandmother's sister's family.  Could they be in the Toronto area?

William Grimes,
Wife Elizabeth Ann b 1886 (Lizzie nee Illson)
Son Stanley W. b 1914 - all born in Leicester.

William & Elizabeth were married in 1905 so there could be more children.  Obviously emigrated after 1914.

The only clue I have is from a book that has recently come into my possession which was published in 1929 and belonged to my Dad's brother who went to Canada but returned home.  The address Dad's brother has written in the book is Central 'Tec', 667 Wodbine Avenue, Toronto.   I am only assuming that he could have been staying with his Aunt Lizzie.  I am aware the book date could be irrelevant, but the time scale seems to be about right.

Not a lot to go on - (not sure that the above makes sense anyway - much easier to say things than write them)

Valry

Glamorgan // Palmer - Herbert - Whitmarsh - Montague - Jones
Pembroke // Palmer
Hereford & Worcs // Herbert - Whitmarsh
Leicester // Walker - Pollard - Mathers - Ellson/Illson - Carter - Oswin - Storer
Derby// Mathers
Nottingham// Carter - Marshall
Somerset // Montacute/Montague - Budd
Monmouthshire// Budd - Barrett
Yorkshire// Ribee

Offline Valry

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Wm Grimes-somewhere in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 June 06 16:21 BST (UK) »
Surname: Mathers 
Given name: John 
Sex: M 
Nationality: En 
Date of arrival: 1928/04/22 (YYYY/MM/DD)
Port of arrival: Quebec , Quebec 
Ship: MONTCLARE , Canadian Pacific 
Reference: RG76 - IMMIGRATION, series C-1-a 
Volume: 1928 volume 1 
Page: 24 
Microfilm reel: T-14740 

I do believe this is my Dad's Brother -  would there be anymore info on the Microfilm and if so would anyone be able to access it for me please.

Thanks - Valry
Pembroke // Palmer
Leicester // Walker - Pollard - Mathers - Ellson/Illson - Carter - Oswin - Storer
Derby// Mathers
Yorkshire// Ribee

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Valry,

Glad you could find the person you're looking for! There could be quite a bit more info on the microfilm - it varies by time period, ship, company, and whoever was recording the information.  You could find notes on his destination, an address and name of family or employer, how much money he had on him when he arrived, and various other tidbits. 

You can order a photocopy of the entry from the Archives for a reasonable price.  There should be a link in the database where you found his record that says something like " how to consult the record or order copies". 

As for the address in the book, the Central Technical School (the likely meaning of "Central Tec") has been running in Toronto since 1892.  It has had various locations, but at the time of your book it was at its present location on Bathurst St.

http://schools.tdsb.on.ca/centraltech/aboutus_history.htm

Perhaps John Mathers was attending Central Tech but was living on Woodbine Ave?  The two are about 10 km (6 mi) apart - close enough for commuting on the Toronto subway or streetcars. 

Hope that helps!

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline Valry

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 June 06 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi MJP - Thanks for that info.  I am going to try to send for a copy of the Passenger List.  John was born in July 1907 so age looks ok plus Mathers is not a very common name.  Hopefully could lead me to his Aunt Lizzie's address.

Can anyone see a William, Elizabeth Ann (Lizzie) and a Stanley W. Grimes on any Passenger List between 1914 and 1928 please

Valry
Pembroke // Palmer
Derby// Mathers
Yorkshire// Ribee

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 June 06 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hello

These are likely your Grimes  family. There is an obit for your William Grimes.

The Toronto Star
Tuesday, Feb 8, 1944
page 22

Grimes -
Mr and Mrs Stanley Grimes of 10 Strathcona Avenue are happy to announce the arrival of their son, a baby brother for Sheila, at Toronto Western Hospital on Sunday February 8, 1914. Both Progressing nicely.

The Toronto Star
Monday, January 5, 1959
page 30

Grimes, William - At his home, 684 Kingston Rd. Toronto on Sunday Jan 4, 1959. William Grimes, in his 76 year, veteran World War 1, 1914 -1918, beloved husband of Elizabeth Ann Illson, dear father of Miriam (Mrs A Coltman), Phyllis (Mrs H Ritchie) and Stanley and the late Edna Jackson. Resting at the Sherrin funeral home, 873 Kingston Rd. (at Beech Ave. Toronto from 7 pm Monday) service in the chapel on Wednesday at 3 pm Interment at Pine Hills cemetery.

The Toronto Star
Friday May 10, 1974
page B07

Grimes, Elizabeth Ann - At the Riverside Hospital, Toronto on Thursday, May 9, 1974, Elizabeth A Illson, in her 89th year, beloved wife of William Grimes, dear mother of Miriam (Mrs. A. Coltman) Phyllis ( Mrs H Ritchie) and Stanley Grimes and the late Mrs Edna Jackson, also loved by 11 grandchildren, 21 great granchildren and 1 great-great grandchild. Residing at the Giffen Mack Chapel, 2573 Danforth Ave, at Main Street after 3 pm Saturday. Service Monday at 11 am. Interment Pine Hills Cemetery.

go to this site and search for current addresses and phones for the Grimes or Coltmans in Toronto - I would imagine that with a few phone calls you may get lucky and find someone who can put you in touch with the right family members.

http://www.mytelus.com/phonebook/index.do

try here for the cemetery information - they might be able to provide addresses for next of kin

http://www.mountpleasantgroupofcemeteries.ca/our_cemeteries/pine_hills_cemetery.asp

http://www.mountpleasantgroupofcemeteries.ca/faq/

Best of luck

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline Valry

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 June 06 08:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma

What a wonderful surprise - I cannot thank you enough for all of the information you have found, beyond my wildest dreams.  How marvellous for the maiden names to be added to the obits 100% proof.  I will now try to find living members of the family and it looks like another 30+ names could be added to 'The Family Tree'.

Also thanks to Mum (who died recently) for being a hoarder and keeping Uncle John's little black Steel Square Pocket Book with the Toronto address, the only clue I had.

Again, thanks Thelma for your time and interest.

Valry  (ps thanks Rootschat members without you where would we be)

Pembroke // Palmer
Derby// Mathers
Yorkshire// Ribee