Author Topic: Wells Family.  (Read 18741 times)

Offline bhw825

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wells Family.
« on: Monday 05 June 06 21:01 BST (UK) »
My grandfather, Hubert Edward Wells was born at Mill End, Eastington, Gloucestershire in 1886.   He always claimed that his father, Thomas Wells was a Gypsy.   When Thomas got married at Claines in Worcestershire in 1878, he gave his trade as Brushmaker, and his address as "The Raven" Claines.   The pub is still there.   I know that Wells is a Gypsy name, and that brush making is a traditional trade, but is it all just coincidence?   

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wells Family.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Bhw825

As you say, there were certainly WELLS Gypsies and brushmaking was a craft followed by some Gypsies at times as well as the non Gypsy brushmakers (see http://www.brushmakers.com/tramp.html for some background information on the Brushmaker's Society of the latter).

Have you found the family in all the available census to see if there are any further clues there ???

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bhw825

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 June 06 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Casalguidi,   Thank you for responding.   I am working on that side of the family at the moment.

bhw825

Offline eise

• RootsChat Member
  • Jessie and Margaret Bird -my grandparents 1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 July 06 13:18 BST (UK) »
I have Wells in my family.  my grandmothers mother was a wells, emma with two sisters Jane and Margaret, two brothers joseph and i beleive george.

my grandmother was a young as her mother married thomas henry young and they travelled around the country with a family theatre.  I believe he theatre was run by joseph and maria as they are listed as stage managers and wife assistant. i have the whole family in several census's in various places.  for instance, in 1881 they were in buckinghamshire.  they travelled around in a little caravan. accordin to my grandmother she sas on the stage as a baby.  her mother emma is listed as an actress, her father as a comedian her aunts and uncles listed as various musicians or actor possitions.
my gr gr grandparents were joseph wells and his wife maria.  both joseph and maria were b in york area.  My grandmother margaret young was b in horncastle lincolnshire her sister blanche in warwickshire and their brother victor was b in swadlingcote in derbyshire.  the different areas are dur to the travelling around with the theatre.
i am still searching for death date of the youngs and wells.  emma apparently died when my grandmotehr was quite young.  possibly between the 1891 and 1901 census.  my gr uncle Victor disapeared after this event and went off somewhere with his father thomas, ending up in the cheshire area.  hte girls were brought up by their aunts.  if this is any thing to so with your family let me know and ikj will give dates and palces of birth for all -- eise.
Burton Latimer; Isham; Rushden; Raunds; Great Addington;
Cheshire; Northants; Bedfordshire; Hereford;

Offline galphay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 07 February 07 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Wells researchers can be found at http://www.wells-genealogy.org.uk/wells.htm

The main Wells Gypsy families came out of Hampshire:
http://www.wells-genealogy.org.uk/wells1.htm

We were contacted by a Wells group on the east coast of the USA but have now lost contact with them.

There were trading links with Wells gypsies selling horses to the US possibly out of Liverpoool.

We have put up a page for Joseph's travelling theatre:
http://www.wellsuk.info/wellsbedern.htm
which links off the Yorkshire Wells researchers page:
http://www.wells-genealogy.org.uk/wells3.htm

John Wells
www.wells-genealogy.org.uk

Offline eise

• RootsChat Member
  • Jessie and Margaret Bird -my grandparents 1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 May 07 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

my gr gr grandfather was joseph wells and we are fairly sure he was a hawker during his adult life before he married maria.  However most of our wells and youngs came from yorkshire and shropshire so far.  if you get onto Genes Reunited trees i have a tree there you could look at.  eise.
Burton Latimer; Isham; Rushden; Raunds; Great Addington;
Cheshire; Northants; Bedfordshire; Hereford;

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 08:03 BST (UK) »
Anyone comes across a Stanley Wells who married Sarah Gray in 1925 at Boston, Lincs?

Her side were certainly Romanies who settled in the town, and according to family stories he was also a traveller?

She was born in 1900, and I would assume he was about the same age.

Offline bowdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 July 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi my family From 1860's Dangerfield Stanley daughters Mertie rummered old Doc Reynolds had a daughter nav Ruth married Eziah Wells who's dad was Heziaka Wells . I am a Stanley & Eziah son Lyle married my moms sister whom are Lee's.. Now when my mother first got married 1949 old Clare's was a Wells her father was old Nelson Wells married to a Buckland juval.. Here in the US

Offline tiggi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • BETSEY SMITH/ WIFE OF NELSON BUCKLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 03 November 07 14:30 GMT (UK) »
anyone know of a Betsey Wells ?
 On passenger list Carpathia 1904 many of my family BUCKLANDS say they are going to see a sister & daughter Betsey Wells on a farn in Dayton Ohio, not had any luck connecting with this side of family can anyone help
possible fathers are Tenett Buckland or Plato Buckland
TENETT BUCKLAND & PLATO BUCKLAND ( MY LINEAGE)
  Buckland Smith James Stanley Lovell Loveridge Lee Cooper Penfold/Pinfold Orchard Boswell Broadway Wells

AREAS OF INTEREST CORNWALL DEVON

USA   Worton Stanley Joles Cooper  Jeffrey Small
 all English lines of Roms who are found in America

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk