Author Topic: Romany's lost Cornwall  (Read 14442 times)

Offline colleena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Romany's lost Cornwall
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 24 June 06 10:51 BST (UK) »
??? Hi Deb,

I spent most of the afternoon reading "Cornish Mystery" and I must say what a story, and what wonderful people there are on this site,  only to happy to help with your query, what an amazing story,

Now to Re- Slack
I stated John in the last post but that was only based on an assumption from the 1891 census as there was a John & (Mary) Slack at Falmouth, and as (Beatrice Maria) Boswell seemed to go by Maria, Mary didn't seem a far stretch.

I had based this on information sent to me that reads:

News article in "The Cornishman (Sept 1907)
referred to a civil Court action in Cornwall between a gadjo) named SLACK & MARIA GRIFFITHS/BOSWELL, who had lived with SLACK for upwards of 15 years, Giving evidence on her behalf was her brother ABRAHAM BOSWELL

I haven't begun to try and find a copy of the actual court case, because I wouldn't know where to look,

So now Maria b(1861) has Griffiths has a name, no record of a marriage between a Boswell & Griffiths, so that's another mystery, also she had a sister Lillie same thing, no marriage record, she's there somewhere but I cant find her either, so lol another headache and mystery to solve.

So to keep you thinking Deb, Abraham Boswell 's son, another Abraham was married to a Flossie Richards (2nd wife) and I believe Carnation Penfold (nee Richards) had a sister Florence, maybe Related.?

Regards Colleen
Bouncing Emails

Offline social-butterflies

• RootsChat Senior
  • essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 01 January 08 23:18 GMT (UK) »
hello to all,
just had a quick read through and am not sure if it is connected but there is a james smith married to an elizabeth odell and they also have a son named james.
i have seen this through a tree on ancestry, think its on a few actually.
buckley tree
payne tree
webb tree
bowman tree
kusti bok
M.
buckley
webb
boswell (shadrack line)
pearse
lee
smith (inc epping forest)
heron
bibby

Offline colleena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 January 08 15:38 GMT (UK) »
:) Thankyou M for repling to the post,  but since the first post,  have made a lot of headway with the Smiths,

For all who are interested in this family, they tie into most of the Romany families   

Boswells,  Lee, Orchards, Packmans, James, Stanley's, Penfolds, Richards, Burrs, Loveridge, Cooper,  Bucklands, and more,

Have had a lot of help from rootschatters in particular Tiggi, trying to sort this lot out and still more to learn, so if anyone is interested  please send a message

Regards Colleen :) :) :)

Bouncing Emails

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 February 08 20:42 GMT (UK) »
hi.cathayb here.we are related to birch,taylor and hughes and those 3 names married into penfold and orchard families.our ocean hughes married henry penfold.sophie hughes married edwin orchard.all from west country.can i be of any help.i still live the romany life on a romany site.so in touch with alot of west country romanies.
birchs taylors penfold orchard hughes all romany gypsies in the west country

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 February 08 21:10 GMT (UK) »
I see your on the case Deb, did wonder if they were connected to your lot with the Smith / Lee / Buckland names

have you seen this site Colleena?

http://www.romanygenes.webeden.co.uk/

well worth a look
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 February 08 21:19 GMT (UK) »
i dont know if this helps.i have fuller details.john penfold married charlotte some time before 1807.they had at least 8 children.among them william b.1833 who married priscilla thompson b1854.they had at least 11 children.i have their line.my line is john born to john and charlotte.he was born 1809 and he married harriet james 1831.harriets perants were thomas and harriet james.another of their kids thomas b1815 married mary jane holland.i am still looking for birch and taylors and hughes in tiverton pre1860s

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 February 08 21:21 GMT (UK) »
error in last message should read william b.1833 married priscilla thompson in1854 love cathayb

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 February 08 21:29 GMT (UK) »
take a look at these threads (Deb's scavenegr hunt part 1 & 2, see if any thing matches yours)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,265094.0.html

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,266055.0.html
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline cathayb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 February 08 22:27 GMT (UK) »
i have myasthenia gravis which also weakens the muscles.very few people have heard of that either.regards cathayb