Author Topic: Messages, Replies and E-mails  (Read 216737 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Messages, Replies and E-mails
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 September 06 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi yn9man,

same procedure for INBOX and OUTBOX

Either:
click on the delete button on the individual posts

or:
in the message list, click on the messages you want to delete (see below, image #1), and click on "delete selected"

or:
click in the "to" box at the top of the list (image #2), and delete everything on that page.

or:
Click on the big "Delete" button at the top of the message list. (not recommended !!)
Vorsicht !! Achtung !! Careful !!
This one deletes EVERYTHING in your INBOX or OUTBOX !!!!!!

You pays yer money an' takes yer choice  ;D

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 01:03 BST (UK) »
Bob -

Yikes ... sooooooooo many choices :D

Think I will start off slowly and try clicking on the delete button on the individual posts.  Wish me luck.

Many thanks for your prompt response. Much appreciated.

yn9man

:) :) :)

P.S.  Just went to my outbox (i.e. all postings listed in profile section) or what I thought what my out box. There isn't any "Delete" as an option. There are three choices (boxes) in lower right hand corner of the messages though ...reply, quote and notify.

Guess I don't understand where "outbox" is.
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 07:30 BST (UK) »
Hi yn9man,

as I said elsewhere

Unfortunately, there is no standard "naming convention" on RootsChat;
when talking about their input on RootsChat:
- Some people say message, meaning "Personal Message/PM"
- Some people say message, meaning "Reply to topic"
- Some people say "e-mail" meaning "Reply to Topic"
- Some people say "e-mail" meaning "Personal Message/PM"

I was referring to the PM inbox and outbox.

You can't delete your replies to topics

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 07:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Twinkleberry

Did you get your emails to open eventually?

If it was a Rootschat notification that you have replies, you can also get to them by pressing the 'Show replies to your posts' button at the top right of the page.

I hope this helps?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline yn9man

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 September 06 00:58 BST (UK) »
Berlin Bob -

I understand about deleting personal messages (PMS).

I want to delete some of the messages I had sent that a[[ear in my profile listing of messages.  I now have over 200 messages in my in box and I thought there was a way to "purge" some of them.

I figured that after awhile a large number of messages would cause / start the system to slow down. 

again, thanks for your reply. I won't worry about the number of messages that pile up in my box.

yn9man :)
Scotland - Adam, Galt/Gault, Mellis, Jardine, Turnbull, Robertson, Auchincloss, Murray, Allison/Allason, Mitchell, Cross, Rae, Brown, McHutcheon, Montgomerie, McKenzie, Mackay, McPherson, McInish

England - Saunders/Sanders, Jory/Jorie/Jura, McKey, Williams/ Wyllams,  Lance, Ellis, Trounson, Dingle, Charlton, Hambridge, Sweetman/Sweatman, Ricks/Rix/Reeks, Cole, Shearwood/Sherwood, Toy, Brooks, Moore, Donn, Nicolas, Habberfield,

Denmark - Alling/Aalling, Lastein, Lund, Rasmussen

Offline frenchlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob

I am extremely new to this and cannot find my way round this site   :-[

I have received a message

A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by jay jay.

View the reply at: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=179547.new;topicseen#new

However when I click on the reply i do not seem to be able to trace it as when I look in my inbox there is nothing there.

Can you advise me on how to get round this

Regards

Heather
Over Kellet - Alexander, Westowrth
Carnforth - Westworth
Barrow - Russel
Garstang - Fazackerley

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

Welcome to Rootschat

When you click on that link it takes you to a topic named   "BIRTH LOOK-UP Please" in Westmorland Lookup Requests

At some time, you have replied to this topic and "jay jay" has now replied - scroll down the page to take a look

Your inbox is for personal messages but this is actually a reply to a topic on the public boards.

Does that help?

Have sent you a personal message too.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frenchlady

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 February 07 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks for the information and thanks to you I actually found what I was looking for..

Cheers   :D

Frenchlady
Over Kellet - Alexander, Westowrth
Carnforth - Westworth
Barrow - Russel
Garstang - Fazackerley

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 23 December 07 23:02 GMT (UK) »
quote Captain(Aka Graham in Reading)July 06
Bob
I presume you are the chap in charge of the whole thing. 
I've just joined and trying to get the hang of things.
I'd like to know how we get to talk specifically to another member.  For example, if I find that someone is researchnig exactly the same person as me, might be a 2x/3x/4x grandparent thus making that person my 3rd/4th/nth cousin.  Want to share info with them but its not really ALL for public consumption.
We can't put our own email addresses on the post so how do we do it?  Can't find the answer in the help screens, sorry if its there.
Thanks
Graham

What Graham wants to do is what a P.M (not to be confused with a members personel email address) is for the other reason as stated many times is for swapping personal emails so you talk one to one ;)
I know the above post is old but i was looking on the topic to see if there was any mention of what  preferably not to use the P.M for.

Bob
I know many members who get lots of request for help or lookups sent on a P.M ;) That really should be started on a new topic.It is hard trying to help on a P.M because You get other P.M in-between and their posts get lost.So would i be correct in saying that P.Ms should only be used for the above reasons.Unless of course the person wants you personally to help(which is nice to be the chosen one 8)

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885