Author Topic: Messages, Replies and E-mails  (Read 216732 times)

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Messages, Replies and E-mails
« Reply #45 on: Friday 14 March 08 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher,

I think I've found the source of my problem.  It's with my server, some of my friends have told me their emails are getting bounced back.

Strange because I've been able to send all my mail.

Thanks for all the advice.
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 9 brig. Royal Fusiliers War Diary (large portion)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 15 May 08 00:01 BST (UK) »
Dear Bob,

Couldn't find anywhere else to put this (do not hesitate to advise where I should have correctly put it) but for some reason I have ceased to receive notification by E-mail of replies.    I have not altered anything to stop replies and have only actually found them by checking in now and again.  On checking my profile I cannot find anything that has turned off "notification".    Help please.

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 15 May 08 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Please check your profile.
=> Notifications and Email -> Edit profile
 x Receive RootsChat announcements by email.
 x Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply.
 x Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.

You can determine her when you want to receive e-mail notifications
I normall uncheck the last two lines, so I don't autoatically get email notifications,
but turn it on, on the topic itself, for the few topics where I definitely want to be notified)

Underneath this block is a list - Current Topic Notifications
Is the "culprit" in this list ?

If not, you can go to any topic (not just those you have contributed to) and click on the Notify button at the top or bottom of the topic.

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 15 May 08 20:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Bob,

Many thanks for response.    However, I suspect something more may be wrong (as if I would know!).    I checked the things you said and all was well.    However at the bottom of Current Topic Notifications I have just clicked on "unsubscribe" (they were subscribed) to reset it - I put all the ticks back in the box but the note underneath still continues to say I am unsubscribed - it definitely didn't say that until I fiddled with it just now!

Twice today I have received under "replies to your posts" a reply to the subject "receiving unwanted E-mails" - I can't understand why this should have suddenly happened - I did not get an E-mail saying there was a message, nor did I get one for your reply.   

If you remember, when I first joined, I was the one who was the cause of wrong E-mails being received - do you think there is a problem again?   

Sue
ANDERSON (Kings Lynn, Norfolk) BREWER (Somerset) BALDWIN (Catfield, Norfolk) CRONSHAW(Accrington, Lancs) DEAN (Accrington, Lancs) FOSTER, FORSTER (Astbury, Cheshire AND Canada AND U.S.A.) BRIGHT (London) ROWLAND (Essex and Hampshire) SEWARD (Petersfield, Hampshire) BAILEY/ BROWN (Biddulph, Staffordshire)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 15 May 08 20:42 BST (UK) »
In addition Bob - I just tried to turn on the notification for any reply from you and when I clicked on notify it asked me if I wanted to TURN OFF the notification!

Sue

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 15 May 08 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

I've checked with "admin" and at the moment all your notifications are turned on, including these two:
 x Receive reply notification only for the first unread reply.
 x Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic.

This means you will always receive notifications, by default.

The notify button is a toggle switch:
if notifications are ON,  clicking on this button turns them OFF
if notifications are OFF, clicking on this button turns them ON

regards,
Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 15 May 08 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bob.   I didn't get a notification for this though.

Sue

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 15 May 08 22:31 BST (UK) »
Sue,

Who is your email provider?

I am with Orange and they are notoriously slow at sending all my mails through.

Most of my Rootschat ones come overnight in one fell swoop  ::)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dean1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 16 May 08 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

My internet provider is BT Broadband (I hope this is what you meant)!

Notifications are switched on and when I try to click on "notify" at the bottom of a post it says "do you want to switch it off" - to me this means it is on and I will or should be, getting a notification.    I find messages when I enter Rootschat but there have been no E-mail notifications for a couple of weeks or more.

Sue