Author Topic: german immigrants to england - FORTESCUE  (Read 7300 times)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: german immigrants to england
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 September 06 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hiya Jannabow,

The Stockport Library catalogue contains books by Lady Winifred Fortescue and Adrian Fortescue.

I am wondering why does Fortescue have to be a German name? An English family living there for some time whose child was born in the country would be a German person.

The Library catalogue also has Stockport Hippodrome programmes for 1944 to 45. That covers the period when the two actors in whom I'm interested were playing at the theatre.

Chris 

Offline Jannabow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 September 06 11:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Chris

The Fortescue's I'm looking for were active in the theatre between 1881 and 1901 brfore yours I think.

Have you tried the Templeman Library they have one or two 'acting Fortescues' in the early 1900s

I'm wondering if there has been a name change in my line, as all the other Fortescue lines do not connect with mine.

Mother and three sons (the eldest was my Grandfather) were all born in Germany so it says on the 1891 Census while the father was said to be born in Scotland, but again Fortescue is not a scottish name. Have tried most of the scottish websites but no luck.

All of this family with the exception of my grandfather are buried in Pyle cemetry, Bridgend, South Wales. I have put loads of 'feelers' out in this area and can only hope that I get a reply

Thanks again Janet

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 September 06 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hiya Janet,

Unfortunately as far as I know I have no Fortescues in my tree. I was looking as a matter of interest. You may be right about a name change. I believe it is a common practice for theatrical people to adopt a different surname .. sometimes a family surname and sometimes possibly picked out of a hat as it looks like a name that would catch the eye. There are a few Fortescues on the Biographical Index of English Drama Before 1660
I don't know a lot about changing names. Would there be any records of name changes? I've looked at a Rootschat thread Changing names officially. There may be some problems if there was a name change.

Chris.

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 January 07 10:21 GMT (UK) »
The Hamburg Passenger Lists (to anywhere) are now online at ancestry.com  1850-1934
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline Pegasuss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 07:39 GMT (UK) »
The Hamburg Passenger Lists (to anywhere) are now online at ancestry.com  1850-1934

I have never been able to Find My Prussean Ancestors listed in the Hamburger Lists?

Knowing My Luck they probably came over 1848-49? :-\ ::)
Hertzberger, Highton, Walker, Eaton, Webster, Brown, Wright, Speed, Dodd, Holland, Melling, Murphy, Edwards, Bennett, Collins, Critchley, Duffy, Owens, Morgan & Humphreys

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 January 07 09:26 GMT (UK) »
The London Gazette carries official name changes, but it was not necessary to change your name officially until approx WW1, as I recall;  it was costly, I believe.  I can check for the date when it was required, as I think I have it somewhere, if it matters.  The Gazette is available online - go to "Archives", and search there.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline meggylux

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 07 September 20 21:09 BST (UK) »
I believe I may be able to help you with this family but I see these replies go back to 2006/7. I may have been able to contact you via Ancestry.
I think you are probably aware by now that this family changed their name... several times. I came to Florence (Fortesque/Verner/Seaman) linking to my family in the 1870's and have been researching her from this date to the Verner/Fortesque years and am more than happy to fill you in, if you are still linked to this search and site.