Author Topic: Cloondergan, C. Galway (QUALTER/KENNY Families)  (Read 2537 times)

Offline marklinc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Cloondergan, C. Galway (QUALTER/KENNY Families)
« on: Thursday 08 June 06 22:30 BST (UK) »
My 3 x great grandparents Thomas (c. 1820-1886) and Mary QUALTER (c. 1826-1902) were, according to one of the censuses for England, born in Cloondergan, Galway. On all the other censuses they are recorded as being born in Galway, Ireland or just Ireland.

Does anyone know anything about this parish? Do any church records exist for the period from about 1815-1851? (by which time they had arrived in Lincolnshire, England)

Thomas' surname was QUALTER or QUILTER and Mary's was KENNY or perhaps CANNY. I imagine they were married in Co. Galway before leaving for England. Their first child, I believe, was born in Lincolnshire in 1851.

I'd also be interested to know if Irish families tended to follow any naming traditions for their children which might give a clue as to their parents.

Thanks for any help.

Best wishes,

marklinc
in Barcelona
Interested in the village of Belchford, Lincolnshire 17th-20th C

Offline crabbya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cloondergan, C. Galway (QUALTER/KENNY Families)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 June 06 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi  Mark,

The other name to look for in your search is McWalters.  The name Qualter and McWalter(s) are interchanged in the Church records even in the same family.

I knew I had recognized the name and verified the information today at the local LDS Library

LDS Film # 6  Dunmore Parish

June 8, 1845

Thomas Qualter married Mary Canny

Witnesses:  Thomas Cooney and Margaret Craven

Hope this information helps!

Crabbya

Downing/Hurley/Lane/Quinlan  Cork
Hopkins/Devaney/McWalter/Qualter/Lyons  Galway
Fallon/Donnellan Mayo
Mulcahey/Mulcahy Roscommon
Reilly/Riley Sligo

Offline Rosiesara

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 August 07 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hey Mark,

You e-mailed me recently via ancestry but when I treid to reply, all mails just bounced back. I'm really interested to talk to you about our common Qualter ancestors. Just not sure how I can contact you, hope this works.

Kind regards

Rosie

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 07 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Click to see Cathy Day's website which includes the Canny family of Cloondergan.

Christopher